Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Best Character-Driven Novels

Best Character-Driven Novels

I don't like plot. 
Yes, this sounds strange.
 But plot is the least of my interests in books. 

I love characters.
Here are a few of my favorites.



Anne of Green Gables.

Tom Sawyer.

Eleanor & Park. 

Park, of course. And Eleanor.

Manolito Gafas.

The Summer Book. 
Grandma. I plan to be Grandma one day.

Henry Huggins. 
I know lots of folks like Ramona better, but I continue to prefer Henry.

Frog and Toad.
Frog. And Toad.

Olive Kitteridge.
Just gotta love Olive for her gossipy all-American-ness.



Sahara Special.

Brideshead Revisited.

I Am the Messenger.
Ed Kennedy. Lost. And then found.

Madeline.

Shrek.
(The book, not the movie.)

The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestaum

The Good Earth.
The mom. What a mom. Sacrifice. She's all about sacrifice.

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress.
The little Chinese seamstress is all of us. Before books.
And after books. Changed.




What did I forget? Any suggestions for me?


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

22 comments:

  1. So far the only book of Zusak's I've read is The Book Thief - I'd really like to read I Am the Messenger. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read "I Am the Messenger" yet but it's on my TBR. So is Eleanor & Park. Man, I really need to get along with my reading list! :D Thanks for sharing!

    My TTT

    Obsessive Compulsive Reader

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh I've only read Eleanor & Park on this whole list and unfortunately I was the black sheep and did not love it. I must prefer Rowell's other books but she does write some memorable characters!

    Nicole @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eleanor & Park is definitely making it on a lot of people's lists this week :) Nice that you mentioned Brideshead Revisited; I've been meaning to re-visit it at some point, I remember thinking it to be a very interesting character and family study...

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a Shrek book? I have Olive Kitteridge on audio but keep forgetting about it! I bet it would be great for my commute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I vote for Olive during your commute.

      And Shrek (the book) is by picture book great William Steig.

      Delete
  6. WAIT there is a Shrek book!? I feel like I've been living a lie!!!!!! I've got a few of these on my TBR but the only one on yours I've read is Eleanor & Park & of course I agree on it making this Top Ten list!

    Alexandra @ SleepsOnTables

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, another Ed Kennedy fan! Man, I LOVE that book. It is one of the few that I have read more than once. Great pick! ~Megan
    http://wp.me/pzUn5-29o

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ramona is overrated ;) And Yes, I loved Ed Kennedy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. FROG AND TOAD!!! Yes, they are great. LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As usual, your list blows me away. I really struggled this week because I started out to create a list of just YA books that are character driven and I tried to stay away from books that were driven by the plot even if they had strong characters like The Hunger Games, Thanks for visiting my blog and putting up with my puny answers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really need to read 'Eleanor & Park', I'm only hearing good things about it! What did you think of 'Brideshead Revisited'? Also really need to sit down and pick it up sometime! Great list, Deb! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eleanor & Park - yes! I haven't read any Marcus Zusack yet (I know, I know, THE BOOK THIEF), but did pick up I Am the Messenger recently. Glad to see it on your list!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.