Sunday, August 27, 2017

Not Everyone Gets a Solar Eclipse and a Category 4 Hurricane in the Same Week


I'm writing this on Friday, before Hurricane Harvey actually makes landfall. We aren't sure where Harvey will strike, but we are pretty sure he's going to make a big mess out of our Gulf Coast of Texas. I'm expecting a minimum of some flooding and power outages, so I thought I might ought to go ahead and update my week.


For a first full week of school, last week was an odd week. We started off the week on Monday with the eclipse. Here are some of our first graders with their special solar eclipse glasses provided by our school district for every student.



The school district decided to cancel school Friday so that people could make preparations for the storm which had suddenly strengthened in the Gulf. I browsed the Internet for a list of supplies we needed to obtain for the storm. I particularly liked this list I found online; books are listed just after prescription medicine and drinking water. I quite agree.

Right now, we've had rain but we still have power and Internet. I'm spending this rainy day and (most likely) all weekend reading. And praying.

Here are some books I might read in the next few days:





 Stay safe, everyone.



What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.

The Sunday Post is a meme hosted by Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news and recap the past week.

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at The Printed Page. We share books that we found in our mailboxes last week. 
 It is now being hosted here.

Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews in which you can share the books you've acquired.

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!  This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from! I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is now being hosted at The Book Date.

21 comments:

  1. Haha, that's a great list. A bookworm must've made it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many hugs and prayers. Hope everyone is alright.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I hope all goes well! That is quite the list.

    Thanks for sharing, and enjoy a week without any drama ahead. Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope all is still going well for you and your family, Deb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain has slowed and that has given the flood waters time to come down some. But they are forecasting more rain for the next three or four days.

      Delete
  5. The hurricane has been so powerful; I hope you are safe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you stay safe and are able to read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your prayers for my uncle and I'll continue to pray for those of you dealing with the effects of Harvey!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes, I hope you made out okay during the hurricane. The flooding images on TV have been frightening to watch.

    I definitely agree with you on needing books on your Hurricane Supply List. They're always on my list as well, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a scary time. The amount of rain has been incredible. I hope that the situation improves rapidly. Please stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you are staying safe!

    I love the inclusion of books on the supply list!
    http://shoshireads.weebly.com/home/its-monday-what-are-you-reading8623083

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you are okay. It looks like quite a wide area of devastation. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you are okay, sounds like it might get worse before it improves. I heard alligators and snakes were showing up, which would not help. It will be a huge clean up - stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do hope you are alright. The storm created such havoc, its heart breaking.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Are you guys still safe and dry? We are still hunkered down over here. :( I'm ready for Harvey to move on!

    ReplyDelete
  15. All we hear about it the pile of water that Texas is receiving. Are you under water, too? I'm thinking of you and your precious library and hoping everything is above water level.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh that's a great list. lol. I hope you are safe and all is well. Take care!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.