Sunday, August 6, 2017

Road Trip: An Audiobook Marathon

AUDIOBOOK MARATHON

I've just returned from a whirlwind eight-day road trip to Chicago and back.


What with side trips to a geode hunting site and a bed-and-breakfast along the Mississippi and a visit with our wonderful son and daughter-in-law in Chicago, that's over 2,500 miles of driving.

How do you keep entertained when you are putting in over 36 hours in the car?

Audiobooks, of course.

For our trip, I brought along five of the 1001 Children's Books You Must Read audiobooks:

The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (4 hrs. 56 min.)
Nothing happens to Taran, the Assistant Pig-Keeper, until his pig runs away. In his search, Taran meets the talkative Eilonwy, funny Gurgi, and heroic Prince Gwydion. It's a fun adventure, with great characters and lots of action.
My husband's rating: 🌟🌟🌟
My rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟

Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey (7 hrs. 15 min.)
Menolly is a gifted musician but because she is a girl, she can never be the harpist of her hold. She runs away and, taking refuge during a thread fall, encounters fire lizards. Gradually, she finds her place in Pern. Dragons...music...quest...it's a wonderful tale.
My husband's rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟
My rating: 🌟🌟🌟


The Pigman by Paul Zindel (4 hrs. 35 min.)
Mr. Pignati is old and alone. John and Lorraine prank call Mr. Pignati which leads, very gradually, to a friendship between the two teens and the old man. It's a moving story of a friendship between people of widely different ages as well as the consequences of being irresponsible and careless.
My husband's rating: 🌟🌟🌟
My rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟

Chronicles of Ancient Darkness: Wolf Brother by Michelle Paver (6 hrs. 26 min.)
Tourak and his wolf set out on a quest to take on a terrible bear. Wolf Brother is an exciting story of action and adventure, along with a bit of magic.
My husband's rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟
My rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟

The Bartimaeus Trilogy: The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (13 hrs. 31 min.)
Nathaniel is an apprentice to a magician. When Simon Lovelace scorns Nathaniel, the boy decides to take action. He calls a genie and bids him to steal Lovelace's prized Amulet of Samarkand. All kinds of funny. Love this genie.
My husband's rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
My rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

I've never been a big audiobook person, but now that I've listened to these five audiobooks, I think I am one now. I'd love to hear your recommendations for other good audiobooks.


MAILBOX

My mailbox was full when I returned. Here's what was inside:


When a Wolf is Hungry from Eerdmans Books for Young Readers
The Dire King and Ghostly Echoes from Algonquin Young Readers
Karma Khullar's Mustache from Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers


Let's see what I can get read before our school teacher inservices start on Monday and children arrive on the 17th.



What are you reading today? 
If you have recommendations for good audiobooks, I hope you'll share them in the comments.



What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.

The Sunday Post is a meme hosted by Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news and recap the past week.

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at The Printed Page. We share books that we found in our mailboxes last week. 
 It is now being hosted here.

Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews in which you can share the books you've acquired.

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!  This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from! I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is now being hosted at The Book Date.



SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

30 comments:

  1. How fun that you and your husband both listened to the audiobooks, and rated them. I don't think I would get my husband to do that. He is more a music listening kind of guy.
    Sounds like you had a great roadtrip and got some awesome new books!
    Have a great week and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband isn't a big novel reader but he likes to listen to stories when we take long drives.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that's a lot of audiobooks! I love how you're giving your husband's rating too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our ratings were pretty close, but we both really liked Amulet of Samarkand best.

      Delete
  3. Dang you can listen! That's a lot of audiobooks XD

    Have a great wek!

    Anne @ The Reading Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of audiobooks, but it was also a lot of driving.

      Delete
  4. As I've mentioned before, I struggle with audiobooks (I'm a visual learner) but... I wonder if I might enjoy children's books in that format? I may have to try it on our next road trip to Nashville in September. Do you have a list of your favorite children's (or MG) audiobooks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you could see if some of the children's books you want to read (those that inspire you to write, maybe) are available as audiobooks. I don't think of myself as an audiobook listener, in general, either, but I liked listening to these on our long drive and I've also started listening to some before I go to sleep. I thought the D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths was excellent.

      Delete
  5. I am not a big fan of audiobooks, but if going on a long trip like you and your husband did you, I'd consider it...and it was good that he was up for it and the ratings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't listen to books for the same reason Molly doesn't...I'm a visual learner! Plus, I like taking notes, and how could I do that if I'm driving? LOL. I do recall listening to a kid's book with my granddaughter a few years ago when we drove to LA.

    I'm glad you enjoyed the trip and found fun listening. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We loved listening to Hank the Cowdog on audio when our sons were little.

      Delete
  7. Well, that is pretty amazing you have your husband rating the audio books with you. Glad you had a nice trip. Have a great week ahead. :)

    Jenea's Book Obsession's Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love The Bartimaeus Trilogy, Jonathan Stroud is one of my favorite authors. Sounds like it was a nice trip. It's been awhile since I've listened to a book, probably one of the Harry Potter books was the last time and one of my favorite audiobooks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel like I should give audio books a try even though I am such a visual "reader." Where do you get your audiobooks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were all from the public library. Most had traditional CDs but one was downloaded from Overdrive.

      Delete
  10. Your road trip sounds like a lot of fun! Listening to audiobooks is a great way to spend the time in the car. Looks like you listened to several good ones, Deb! I love the sound of The Bartimaeus Trilogy.

    I listen to audiobooks now and then, but it takes me awhile to get through one. I enjoy them just the same.

    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you and your hubby both rated it. We take audiobooks on drives too and its fun listening together. I think I need to listen to the one you both gave a 5 too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You're husband and you sure read a lot of great books together! And that When the wolf is hungry book looks really interesting!

    Here’s my Sunday Post !

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog and join in this week’s Book Photo Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's great! :)

    Check out my Sunday Post at El's Book Reviews!

    Hope you have a great day!

    - El @ El's Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  14. It must be very companionable for both of you to listen to the audio books!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like you had a great trip! All those audio books you listened to, sounds like a great way to pass the time. I'm a reader on trips, my hubby would probably not want to listen to any of my books LOL.

    Hope you have a great week! ~Aleen

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love audiobooks and I am always happy to learn about really good ones...The Amulet of Samarkand

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved, loved, loved the Chronicles of Prydian as a child, and I raced through the Pern novels in sixth grade then never touched them again. I like Stroud's trilogy too, though I feel like I never finished the series, and they are so long I'm intimidated away from re-reading to get caught up.

    I have only been listening to audio books on my commute for the past year and a half. I tend to favor longer, more intense works that I might struggle to get into on my own. I read Columbine, Pillars of the Earth, and Americanah this way, and enjoyed them all. But my favorite so far was listening to Trevor Noah read his memoir, Born a Crime. His accents and inflections make it even better than it would be otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must see if I can find that audiobook. I know my library has a hardback copy.

      Delete
  18. I love that you and your husband listen to audio books together while driving! It's so fun to see your different feelings about the books though you look to be pretty similar in your tastes. I'm not sure what kinds of books I'd pick for a road trip like that but it's fun to think about! Sounds like a busy but really fun trip. Hope this week has been great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like listening to audiobooks when we travel too, although generally my longest drive is only 5-6 hours, and my son always likes to listen to music most of the way, but I make him listen to audiobooks sometimes too. I think it's fun you both rated them. I'm jealous that you listened to The Pigman already (BTW There's a sequel, I forget the name but it has Pigman in the title).

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hope you love the Jackaby books! :)

    Check out my TTT and my current giveaway

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.