Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Character Traits I Love

All I have to do is think about some of my favorite books and it is clear that I like books with strong characters. 







I love the brave and reckless Gus and Woodrow of Lonesome Dove; the fight-for-right Ross Poldark; all of Kate DiCamillo's wonderful quirky characters including Raymie Nightingale; the courageous Louie Zampirini; everyone's funny grandmother Lubka; the bold bear from I Want My Hat Back; daring Julia Child; do-the-right-thing Eleanor Roosevelt; the oh-so-creative Leonardo daVinci; in-their-own-world Eleanor and Park; the wacky Durrell clan; and the zany and all-too-human Anne of Green Gables.

What sorts of characters do you adore?



A big thank you to Hannah @ Books Life and Other Oddities who created this prompt.

Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.

10 comments:

  1. I've recently decided (just this week) that I want to read the Poldark novels. Although Ross's character has plenty of backbone and couldn't be called foolish, he can be infuriatingly reckless. Which is your favorite in the Poldark saga?
    Unbroken came to mind to for perseverance/grit but I hesitated with real-life characters, although those stories make the best memoirs.
    My list:

    https://thecandleenthusiast.wordpress.com/?p=39234

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it sounds strange, but I like Poldark's recklessness. He acts for good, despite the consequences.

      Delete
  2. Love your list of character traits, Deb! Mine might be close to the same. Being able to laugh at a situation, do the right thing even if it's hard, honest, merciful, and on and on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, strong characters are very important. I like them, too.

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strength of character seems to be the one thing all my favorites have in common.

      Delete
  4. I love Goldfinch. What do you think so far? I should copy your list and make my way through your favorites. My TTT list

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you included Klassen's Bear on this list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love strong characters, especially females. i love assassins and vigilantes too. they are just misunderstood. LOL
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Aubrey women spring to my mind - Do you know that trilogy by Rebecca West, starting with The Fountain Overflows? I think each one is strong in her own way, and they are so real and warm that I hated to be parted from them.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.