Books that definitely taught me lots and lots about being happier:
The Good Life: Lessons from the World's Longest Scientific Study of Happiness by Robert Waldinger
The How of Happiness: A Scientific Approach to Getting the Life You Want by Sonja Lyubomirsky
The Blue Zones of Happiness: A Blueprint for a Better Life by Dan Buettner
How to Live: What the Rule of St. Benedict Teaches Us About Happiness, Meaning, and Community by Judith Valente
Books for just a quick daily dose of happiness:
Better Than Chocolate: 50 Proven Ways to Feel Happier by Siimon Reynolds
100 Simple Secrets of Happy People by David Niven
Be Happy: A Little Book to Help You Live a Happy Life by Monica Sheehan
Happy Habits: 50 Science-Backed Rituals to Adopt (or Stop) to Boost Health and Happiness by Karen Salmonsohn
Books that did not make me feel happier:
Whatever Makes You Happy by Lisa Grunwald (Fiction about an unhappy middle-aged woman)
The Happiness Code by Amy Herrick (Fiction about an unhappy family)
Happy All the Time by Laurie Colwin (Fiction about, yes, another unhappy group of people)









Thank you, my mood could use lifting
ReplyDeleteI haven't read these, but that's a great word for the challenge. My word was Time. Here's my TTT: https://bonniereadsandwrites.com/2026/07/07/top-ten-tuesday-books-with-the-word-time-in-the-title/#comment-11991
ReplyDeleteNothing is better than chocolate ;)
ReplyDeleteWhat's your favorite out of all these books (the actual happy ones, not the depressing fiction lol)?
Here is my TTT! https://thissideofstoryland.blogspot.com/2026/07/top-ten-tuesday-books-with-house-in.html
I especially like The Good Life: Lessons from the World's Longest Scientific Study of Happiness because it is based on the findings from a long term science project.
DeleteThank you! I have added it to my TBR :) A bonus is that it will fulfill the 2026 Cover Lovers Reading Challenge prompt "one or more balloons"!
DeleteI loved your assessments!
ReplyDeleteI think it’s great that you included notes about which books did and didn’t help you feel happier. Thank you for that.
ReplyDeleteI love Laurie Colwin but agree so much about Happy All the Time. They're just sad people.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the recommendations Deb!
ReplyDeleteHappy Tuesday!
Such a great choice for a word, Deb! Thanks for sharing these happy vibes.
ReplyDeletehttps://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2026/07/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-book-titles.html
I enjoyed the Valente title!
ReplyDeleteYay for Happy :) Great choice!
ReplyDeleteGreat word choice! It’s fun that you included books that did not make you feel happy.
ReplyDeleteBooks are generally a very happy space for me.
ReplyDeleteThese look really good. Books are my happy place.
ReplyDeleteThese sound like fantastic resources! Everyone could use a bit of happiness in their lives.
ReplyDeleteHere is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!
We need happiness in our insane world!!! The Happiness Project was a surpisingly good read. Some of Laurie Colwin's books haven't aged well. Meik Wiking little books on Hygge are also great for this topic if you want to read more. Listening to his voice is one of the most soothing things ever. Here's my link: https://hopewellslibraryoflife.wordpress.com/2026/07/07/summer-books-for-2026/
ReplyDeleteGreat topic choice for today. Have a good week!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea for titles, I have only read Gretchen Ruben's book but I do like books like this.
ReplyDeleteBetter Than Chocolate?? What can be better than chocolate at improving ones mood?
ReplyDeleteHere's my TTT for the week: https://readbakecreate.com/christmas-can-be-found-in-book-titles/
Happiness is so important! You are amazing, Deb! I always enjoy your posts and seeing what books you are reading or have read!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you for your evaluation. That is helpful.
ReplyDeleteMy list: https://headfullofbooks.blogspot.com/2026/07/ttt-world-is-getting-hotter-books-on.html
Oscar Wilde”s “The Happy Prince” comes to my mind.Retro, I guess.
ReplyDeletebest…. mae at maefood.blogspot.com
Nice word choice! And great title picks too! These are all new to me ones! I definitely wouldn't get far with this word in a title! Lol.
ReplyDeleteHere's my Tuesday Post
Have a GREAT day!
Old Follower :)
I think you did an excellent job on this one.
ReplyDeleteI would not mind tackling the good ones, one at a time, starting with the science based one. Maybe it’s at the library.
ReplyDeleteThe only one I've read of these is The Happiness Project, and it did make me happier. :)
ReplyDeleteAww, I'm sad that you didn't like the Laurie Colwin book! I haven't read it in years and years, but Laurie Colwin is one of my favorite authors from when I was young. I liked Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project, although as with most self-help books I read, I never did my own happiness project! I read the follow-up book, too, but that one didn't stick with me as well.
ReplyDeleteThe irony of Happy All the Time not having that affect at all!
ReplyDeleteI love these!! Thank you for doing this important work, I need to be more intentional about being happier and I love that you're always sharing positive stuff. I'm already a fan of your weekly good things, and your topic of choice for this week's TTT is perfect!
ReplyDeleteNice word to choose and thanks for the short thoughts on them. I don't like reading about unhappy people either. Stay cool! Ha!
ReplyDeleteLove it! We can all use more happy in our lives.
ReplyDeleteHappy (ha!) TTT (on a Wednesday)!
Great word choice! I see several in your first grouping that I wasn't aware of, and should probably take a look at.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you included the ones that didn't make you happy! No point in being overly sacharine!
ReplyDeleteLove this! I learned so much from The Happiness Project and will have to check out the others you mention. I will be skipping that last section!
ReplyDeleteInteresting. I've never thought of choosing books to read based on a word in the title but maybe I should. If so, "happy" would definitely be a good word to choose.
ReplyDeleteI fear my only connection with Candide has been through the Bernstein musical version. I probably should give it a try!
ReplyDeleteI'm adding The Good Life to my TBR -- thanks!
ReplyDelete