Today's Featured Book:
Poilâne: The Secrets of the World-Famous Bread Bakery
by Apollonia Poilâne
Genre: Cookbook
Published: 2019
Page Count: 288 pages
Summary:
To food lovers the world over, a trip to Paris is not complete without a visit to Poilâne. Ina Garten raves about the bread’s “extraordinary quality.” Martha Stewart says the P in Poilâne stands for “perfect.” For the first time, Poilâne provides detailed instructions so bakers can reproduce its unique “hug-sized” sourdough loaves at home, as well as the bakery’s other much-loved breads and pastries. It tells the story of how Apollonia Poilâne, the third-generation baker and owner, took over the global business at age eighteen and steered it into the future as a Harvard University freshman after her parents were killed in a helicopter crash.
Beyond bread, Apollonia includes recipes for pastries such as the bakery’s exquisite but unfussy tarts and butter cookies. In recipes that use bread as an ingredient, she shows how to make the most from a loaf, from crust to crumb. In still other dishes, she explores the world of grains: rice, corn, barley, oats, and millet. From sunup to sundown, Poilâne traces the hours in a baker’s day, blending narrative, recipes, and Apollonia’s philosophy of bread.
There are no written recipes to follow at Poilâne. Our bakers are trained in a rigorous nine-month program during which they learn to bake using all their five senses. Although I was the owner's daughter, there were no shortcuts or cheat sheets for me.
THE FRIDAY 56 is hosted by Anne of Head Full of Books. To play, open a book and turn to page 56 (or 56% on your e-reader). Find a sentence or two and post them, along with the book title and author. Then link up on Head Full of Books and visit others in the linky.
The recipes in this book begin the same way Poilâne started: with sourdough.
It's not enough to share just a few sentences from a cookbook---you have to actually share a recipe and try to make something.
So I guess I need to make some sourdough starter.
Poilâne-Style Sourdough
Makes one 12-inch round loaf
For the Starter
First Fermentation
2/3 cup lukewarm water
1/4 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
1 cup plus 1 tbsp. flour
1/3 cup plus 2 tbsp. whole wheat flour
Second Fermentation
1 cup flour
1/3 cup plus 2 tbsp. whole wheat flour
1/3 cup lukewarm water
The mixture from the first fermentation
For the Bread
All but 1 cup of the mixture from the second fermentation
4 cups flour
3 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 3/4 cups lukewarm water
1 tablespoon fine sea salt
Make the First Fermentation: In a medium bowl, whisk the water and yogurt until combined. Add both flours and mix until the dough starts to come together. (The mixture should feel a little like chewed gum.) Cover loosely with a kitchen towel and set aside in a warm (72 degrees F to 77 degrees F) draft-free place for 24 hours.
Make the Second Fermentation: Add both flours and the water to the bowl with the first fermentation and mix together with your hands (flour your hands first to keep from sticking). Once the mixture starts coming together, transfer to a clean work surface and use a dough scraper to continue to scrape up and mix the starter until throoughly combined; it should still be quite sticky. Gently stretch two opposite sides of the mixture and fold into the center, then repeat with the other two sides to create a ball. Return to the bowl, cover with the kitchen towel, and set aside in a warm, draft-free place for another 24 hours. The mixture won't change much in appearance, but you should see some bubbles, and the top will look a little wet. At this point, the starter is ready to use.
Make the Bread: Transfer all but 1 cup of the starter to a large bowl. Add both flours and the yeast. Combine the water and salt, stir to dissolve the salt, and add to the bowl. Using your hands, mix until combined. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured clean surface and knead until it comes together in a homogeneous mass and feels smooth, 10 to 15 minutes.
Return the dough to the bowl, cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel, and set aside in a warm, draft-free place for about 45 minutes. The dough should increase in volume by 150 to 200 percent, though you're not looking for volume as much as a gentle expansion and increased resistance. To test, use the back of your hand to gently touch the surface of the dough; you should feel a slight resistance that's just strong enough so the dough returns to its shape.
Very generously flour a 12- to 14-inch linen-lined proofing basket, being sure to get the flour on the sides of the basket as well. Lightly flour the work surface.
Transfer the dough to the work surface and, using your hands, very gently flatten it to two-thirds its original size. Roll the dough over from right to left, then tuck the sides of the dough under while rotating the dough on the work surface to create a nice round with a taut top. Turn the dough over and place it smooth side down in the prepared basket. Cover with the kitchen cloth and set in a warm, draft-free place.
After 2 hours, check on the dough: You're looking for it to expand and gain resistance. To test, touch the dough lightly with the back of your hand; if it maintains its shape, it's ready. If it isn't, proof for 5 to 10 minutes in a warmer space. Conversely, if the dough deflates immediately when you touch it, it has overproofed and you should bake it immediately.
Meanwhile, about 25 minutes before baking, position a rack in the lower-third of the oven, place a 12-inch pot on it, and preheat to 475 degrees F.
Using oven mitts, remove the pot from the oven. With one swift movement, being mindful of the hot sides of the pot, flip the dough into the pot so its smooth side faces up. Use a lame (or razor blade) to quickly score the dough; you can score a square shape, a hashtag, a cursive P (as at Poilâne) or any other design you like. Remove the lid and continue baking until the crust is dark and caramelized, another 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Using oven mitts, carefully turn the loaf out of the pot and check it for doneness: Stand the loaf on its side and knock on the bottom; it should sound like you're knocking on a door. If it doesn't continue to bake directly on the oven rack, checking every 5 minutes or so, until it sounds hollow when tapped. Place the baked loaf on a wire rack, cover with a thick cloth, and let cool for at least an hour before slicing.
The purpose of THE BOOK BLOGGER HOP is to give bloggers a chance to follow other blogs, learn about new books, and befriend other bloggers. THE BOOK BLOGGER HOP is hosted by Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer.
What’s the fastest or slowest you’ve ever finished a book? (submitted by Billy @ Coffee-Addicted Writer)
I learned to be a fast reader in sixth grade when I had to read and write a book report on a 300-page book every week. I could tear through a book with start-to-finish times of just a couple of hours. I still tend to rip through books; I wish I could read more slowly.
I read a couple of books at a leisurely pace. War and Peace has 365 chapters, and I read it over the course of a year. That's probably the slowest I've ever read a book.



.png)


.jpeg)

That's impressive! I'm a pretty slow reader compared to most. I think because I am imagining the scenes and I truly do get lost in a book! It's funny this question popped up with my current read which has a very unique page formatting in that it's small text and the words fill the entire page practically so it's taking me much longer to read than the average formatting. Still enjoying it though, so that's what counts!
ReplyDeleteHere's my BBH
Have a GREAT day!
Old Follower :)
Obviously my life is incomplete! I have been to Paris twice, but never have I visited Poilâne. I did have my first glass of wine there, though.
ReplyDeleteI tend to be a speedy reader too, but I end up reading a lot of small sittings in the past few years -- my attention span isn't what I could wish, though of late I've been trying to better recognise when I have a nice stretch of time I could spend focused on reading!
ReplyDeleteHere's my post: https://breathesbooks.com/2026/07/24/book-blogger-hop-fastest-slowest/
I knew that you were a fast reader, Deb. I used to be faster, but I will admit that these days I tend to get distracted more. I'd like to get back to my 'lost in a book' phase. We'll see. Have a good weekend!
ReplyDeleteNice post!
ReplyDeleteI used to read that fast too, and I actually finished Our Perfect Storm in a single day recently because I couldn’t put it down! Reading War and Peace over a year sounds like a wonderful way to savor such a classic. Happy Reading!
ReplyDeleteI tried speed reading once but I didn't take anything in and had no idea what was going on. For example time I chose subjects that didn't have a lot of heavy things to read because I just couldn't physically get it all done.
ReplyDeleteHave a great weekend!
Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2026/07/24/book-blogger-hop-whats-the-fastest-or-slowest-youve-ever-finished-a-book/
300 pages a week is a lot for a 6th grader! But you appear to be none the worse for it.
ReplyDeleteOMG this sounds like a wonderful bread book and you've been to that bakery. So much fun to tromp back in your memory.
ReplyDeleteBravo, wonderful!
ReplyDeleteAshamed to say, but I had no idea who Poilâne was!! Which it seems it's not unusual for French people who don't live in Paris
On our first long stay in Paris, we lived across the boulevard from one of the two Poilane bakeries, and we loved the bread that we frequently bought there. We watched the truck that unloaded wood for the wood-fired oven in the basement almost every day, and we also tried the other good things they baked. Great memories!
ReplyDeletebest… mae at maefood.blogspot.com
https://maefood.blogspot.com/2008/03/poilane-bakery.html
Delete