The Sunday Salon: The Shorty September Challenge is Complete
Welcome! We are glad you joined us at the Sunday Salon.
What is the Sunday Salon? The Sunday Salon is a place to link up and share what we have been doing during the week. It's also a great opportunity to visit other blogs and join in the conversations going on there.
What I Read This Week:
Miss Pym Disposes by Josephine Tey (Mystery)
Train Dreams by Denis Johnson (Novel)
A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn (Novel)
What I'm Reading Now:
Entangled Life: How Fungi Make Our Worlds, Change Our Minds & Shape Our Futures by Merlin Sheldrake (Nonfiction)
The Infinite Sadness of Small Appliances by Glenn Dixon (Fiction)
Trash! A Garbageman’s Story by Simon Paré-Poupart (192 pages)
Patchwork Shorts (Blend of Genres)
The Art Thief: A True Story of Love, Crime, and a Dangerous Obsession by Michael Finkel (242 pages)
I began to list 3 Good Things every day during the pandemic. Now I've established a regular routine of writing down my 3 Good Things. Here are 3 Good Things from last week:
Good Thing #1:
We went on a tour of the site at
the Waco Mammoth National Monument.
Those mammoths!
It was an amazing tour.
Good Thing #2:
We visited the Armstrong Browning Library on
Baylor University's campus
and took a look at some of the books
and artifacts of
poets Robert and Elizabeth Barrett Browning.
Good Thing #3:
My sister made,
and I'm starting to address,
the invitations
for my dad's 100th birthday party
on January 2, 2027!
Weekend linkup spots are listed below. Click on the picture to visit the site.
I hope you will join the linkup for Sunday Salon below.
A supurr selection of books, several of which have been added to our TBR, so thank mew furry much for sharing! Hope you have an epic weekend! We're off to sort some shelf space in the BBHQ library! 🐾😺🐾
Congratulations on finishing Shorty September! Which book(s) were your favorites?
I just saw that they found a preserved woolly mammoth baby somewhere? Mummified? I think somewhere in Canada.
So cool that your dad will be having a 100th birthday party! What does he say the secret to a long life is? I love when they ask Centenarians that question.
100th birthday?! Oh my goodness. That is a huge milestone. Is there anything special he wants to do for his big day? Go skydiving, see the Eiffel tower, swim with sharks?! I feel like when you hit that milestone, you can do whatever you want.
A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich sounds like a heavy, but important read. One has to wonder at the will of man to survive the most heinous conditions. The Infinite Sadness iof Small Appliances is officially on hold with Libby. As my grandchildren share the books they are reading, I’m learning I enjoy the dystopian genre! Who knew? I’m eager to read your thoughts on The Librarians as they are my heroes – along with long arm quilters. 😊Loved the titles in Shorty September! I bet it was an amazing tour! We are kindred souls! When we travel, I love to visit museums and the local library, as well a yarn shop or two! Big advance birthday hugs to your precious dad!
I reread A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich - it's funny, I didn't really remember any of it. I think I was probably too young. Did you like it? Quite bleak.
Your Waco trip sounds wonderful—the mammoth site and the Armstrong Browning Library would both be fascinating to visit! And how special to be planning your dad’s 100th birthday celebration—Happy Reading!
How wonderful to be planning your father's 100th birthday celebration. And you clearly had a blast with your shorty reads in September. I would LOVE to visit some of the dinosaur sites in the US - I know they are world class. The mammoth site sounds amazing and what a lovely library the Armstrong Browning Library is. Have a lovely week, Deb:).
Congratulations on finishing the Shorty Challenge! Your Waco visit included such fascinating destinations, im glad you are enjoying the time with your sister. I need to get organised for Nonfiction November and next years Nonfiction challenge!
Congrats on Shorty September! Non-fiction November sounds fun :) And it looks like you and your sister are planning a heck of a bash! What a nice thing to do for your father and your family :)
I read some Tey this week too! Finally got round to The Daughter of Time. She's still not my favourite of the Golden Age writers, but that one was well worth it.
I see you're reading Entangled Life: How Fungi Make Our Worlds. I've recently seen some macro photography of fungi and they are fascinating. I hope your book has lots of photos. Hope the 100th party is grand. When I turned 40 and my aunt 60, we had our party together and used 100th decorations. It was a lot of fun!
Love your short challenge selections. I will join up next year instead of doing Novellas in November. But since I was gone for half the month I didn't think it would work this year.
It looks like another great week, Deb. I will be doing Nonfiction November as well as Novellas in November, so I will see how many I get to. Congratulations to your father turning 100, that is remarkable.
Looks like you had a great week with your sister in Waco. 100th birthday! Very cool. Congratulations on finishing your September Shorts Challenge.
ReplyDeleteAll. your good things are very very good! I read one of your books recentlY:
ReplyDeletehttps://maefood.blogspot.com/2026/08/the-sentient-vacuum-cleaner.html
A supurr selection of books, several of which have been added to our TBR, so thank mew furry much for sharing! Hope you have an epic weekend! We're off to sort some shelf space in the BBHQ library! 🐾😺🐾
ReplyDeleteLove visiting libraries!! 100 yo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteMy favorite part of the Sunday posts are your good things. I love that gorgeous library! And how wonderful that party plans are going well!
ReplyDeletePlanning for your Dad’s 100th birthday! Not many people can say they are lucky enough to be doing this. The mammoth exhibit looks amazing.
ReplyDeleteHappy 100th to your dad.. The Librarian and the Infinite Sadness both interest me.
ReplyDeleteWow! 100 is indeed a milestone. My dad almost made it, just 2 months short!
ReplyDeleteHappy almost birthday to your dad.
ReplyDeleteI always find your "Sunday Salon" posts uplifting and I look forward to reading them. Thank you for that.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on finishing Shorty September! Which book(s) were your favorites?
ReplyDeleteI just saw that they found a preserved woolly mammoth baby somewhere? Mummified? I think somewhere in Canada.
So cool that your dad will be having a 100th birthday party! What does he say the secret to a long life is? I love when they ask Centenarians that question.
Happy Birthday 🎂 to your dad.
ReplyDelete100th birthday?! Oh my goodness. That is a huge milestone. Is there anything special he wants to do for his big day? Go skydiving, see the Eiffel tower, swim with sharks?! I feel like when you hit that milestone, you can do whatever you want.
ReplyDeleteoh wow that's brilliant about your dad! Good on him.
ReplyDeleteYou’ve had a good, busy week. I like how you are planning the birthday party well in advance.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday to your dad! Have a great week!
ReplyDeleteA Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich sounds like a heavy, but important read. One has to wonder at the will of man to survive the most heinous conditions. The Infinite Sadness iof Small Appliances is officially on hold with Libby. As my grandchildren share the books they are reading, I’m learning I enjoy the dystopian genre! Who knew?
ReplyDeleteI’m eager to read your thoughts on The Librarians as they are my heroes – along with long arm quilters. 😊Loved the titles in Shorty September!
I bet it was an amazing tour! We are kindred souls! When we travel, I love to visit museums and the local library, as well a yarn shop or two!
Big advance birthday hugs to your precious dad!
What a milestone! 100 years!!
ReplyDeleteYou always visit just great places. Thanks for sharing them with us.
Have a fabulous week!
I reread A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich - it's funny, I didn't really remember any of it. I think I was probably too young. Did you like it? Quite bleak.
ReplyDeleteThe Mammoth Museum sounds fascinating, as does the library. Sounds like you had a wonderful week!
ReplyDeleteYou have read a lot of books about shorts! I didn't know there were so many!
ReplyDeleteYour Waco trip sounds wonderful—the mammoth site and the Armstrong Browning Library would both be fascinating to visit! And how special to be planning your dad’s 100th birthday celebration—Happy Reading!
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful to be planning your father's 100th birthday celebration. And you clearly had a blast with your shorty reads in September. I would LOVE to visit some of the dinosaur sites in the US - I know they are world class. The mammoth site sounds amazing and what a lovely library the Armstrong Browning Library is. Have a lovely week, Deb:).
ReplyDeleteCan't believe your dad is turning 100! That's amazing! The Armstrong Browning Library looks beautiful! Have a wonderful week!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on finishing the Shorty Challenge!
ReplyDeleteYour Waco visit included such fascinating destinations, im glad you are enjoying the time with your sister.
I need to get organised for Nonfiction November and next years Nonfiction challenge!
Wishing you a wonderful week.
Good luck with the party planning! I really want to read Entangled Life. Maybe my library will get it in time for Nonfiction November.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on Shorty September! Non-fiction November sounds fun :) And it looks like you and your sister are planning a heck of a bash! What a nice thing to do for your father and your family :)
ReplyDeleteBest wishes for continued good health for your dad. His 100th birthday will be a fabulous way for you all to start the New Year.
ReplyDeleteI read some Tey this week too! Finally got round to The Daughter of Time. She's still not my favourite of the Golden Age writers, but that one was well worth it.
ReplyDeleteAnd wow, a 100th birthday party!
Hope you have a great week!
ReplyDeleteGood luck and have fun with the party and I wish your dad the best of Health
ReplyDeleteI see you're reading Entangled Life: How Fungi Make Our Worlds. I've recently seen some macro photography of fungi and they are fascinating. I hope your book has lots of photos. Hope the 100th party is grand. When I turned 40 and my aunt 60, we had our party together and used 100th decorations. It was a lot of fun!
ReplyDeleteWow. A hundred. Imagine all the changes he has seen in his lifetime.
ReplyDeleteThe 100th birthday party sounds amazing! Nice invitations.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the Nonfiction November details. I'm looking forward to it!
Love your short challenge selections. I will join up next year instead of doing Novellas in November. But since I was gone for half the month I didn't think it would work this year.
ReplyDeleteIt looks like another great week, Deb. I will be doing Nonfiction November as well as Novellas in November, so I will see how many I get to. Congratulations to your father turning 100, that is remarkable.
ReplyDelete