Sunday, December 13, 2009
Best Decision I Ever Made
(Now that's a bold title. I want to make sure you are not thinking I'm going to pit other wonderful decisions in my life---my decision to marry my wonderful husband, or my decision to finish my master's degree before I had kids, or my decision to have my wonderful bambinos, or, mercy, my decision to follow Christ, for example---against this small decision. But this has proved to be a small, but an excellent decision for my life, and I want to share it with you.)
I am often asked, "How in the world do you have time to read SO many books?"
I have an easy answer: "I do not watch tv."
I gave up watching tv in 2003.
This is the decision that has changed my life.
(1) It is as if I have an extra four and a half hours a day (Yes, that is the AVERAGE time people watch tv every day. Mercy!)
(2) I am not subjected to the relentless call to buy, buy, buy, get, get, get, more, more, more and the cruel judgment that I am not as beautiful, as popular, as whatever, as others.
(3) I do not have to hear about all the disturbing details of celebrity lives.
(4) I do not have to hear about all the murders and abductions and stealings that go on.
(5) Facts about tv: Studies show that people who watch the most tv are the most depressed. Studies show that people who watch the most tv are the most overweight. Studies show that people who watch the most tv are paranoid about the world and think it is a terrible place, filled with people who are ready at a moment's notice to cut your throat. I do not want to be depressed or overweight or paranoid.
(6) I can do many things. I can read. I can cook. I can take pictures. I can rock on my front porch. I can visit with people. I can walk. If I want to try something I've never done---say, learn to hula---I can do it. I have time.
(7) And, finally, I am happier, much happier, without tv.
So, what do you think? Anyone else out there tv-free? Anyone else contemplating it?
(Note: I am not obsessive about this. If someone tells me about something fantastic on tv, I might watch it. And I watch movies now and then.)
Photo Credit: beedieu from Creative Commons Flickr