Sunday, September 13, 2015

Catching Up, Bookishly Speaking





     It's time for another Sunday Salon. It's the third week of school and I'm still coming home every night and going to bed at eight. Exhausting. Hope things slow down soon.

 

     I finished three books this week. X is Sue Grafton's latest mystery. You know the drill. If you are like me, there are times when you just want the drill. A week like this one sent me happily turning pages in X. Grafton has grown as a writer since her A-E days, I think. Nice intertwining of several clever mysteries, one of which looks as if it will reappear and continue in Y. I also devoured Voracious: A Hungry Reader Cooks Her Way Through Great Books. The author has taken lots of her favorite books and closely looked at the food described within. It makes for a fun collection of blog posts, especially if you, like me, are a big fan of books-about-books. And, finally, I dashed through A Curious Mind: The Secret to a Bigger Life. The author is a quite-famous producer of movies (including Splash and Apollo 13). The secret of his success, he reveals, is his explorations of things he is curious about. And that's the whole book. Lots of little stories about his interviews with other quite-famous people, if you like that sort of thing. But really, if you want to save time, just read the title. That's all you need to know. 


     Normally, at this time of the year, my thoughts go to the Texas Book Festival. I won't be there this year; it's the same weekend my first grandchild is due. A wonderful reason to miss my favorite event of the year, I think. I hope you won't miss it unless you have an equally good reason. The author lineup has been announced. 


     Though I'll be missing the TBF, I do have lots of great book-ish events planned for the next few weeks. I'm excited to be serving as a moderator of the Five Funny Guys panel at Tween Reads Book Festival on October 3. Who are these Five Funny Guys, you ask. Well, Jeff Anderson (Zack Delacruz), Nicholas Gannon (The Doldrums), Geoff Rodkey (Tapper Twins), Gene Luan Yang (Secret Coders), and Daniel Handler (known more commonly as Lemony Snickett). The event is free, so if you are in the Houston area, I hope you can come. 


     I'm also planning to head to two Inprint events in Houston in the next couple of weeks. This Thursday Mary Karr will be speaking about her new book, The Art of Memoir. And the next week I plan to see Jonathan Franzen talk about his new book, Purity. The panels for the Cybils are also forming and will be announced very soon. Lots of wonderful book events coming up.

     I'm still reading A Walk in the Woods and it's every bit as good as I remembered. More when I finish.... I'm also making my way through Anita Desai's A Village by the Sea and a big stack of children's picture books including Fab Four Friends, When a Dragon Moves In Again, The Leaf Book, and Tell Me a Picture. 


             
What are you reading today?!













What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.

The Sunday Post is a meme hosted by Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news and recap the past week.

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at The Printed Page. We share books that we found in our mailboxes last week.  It is now being hosted here.

Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews in which you can share the books you've acquired.

28 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the imminent arrival of your first grand baby. I'll be waiting for the good news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good reason to miss the festival! Congrats! Have a good week and hope the pace slows a bit for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both imprint events sound terrific!
    I just finished the second Harry Potter book and plan to start the third this afternoon. So far I'm ahead of schedule :)

    I'm SO excited to see pictures of the new grandchild - as soon as she or he decides to make a grand appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, man...and I love your TBF posts too. Sort of ;), but like everyone else said, a great reason to miss it. Can't wait to see the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your grandchild! I'm sure you're ticking down the days! I've added Voracious to my TBR. It sounds like a book I'd enjoy. I really need to read Sue Grafton. I read A through at least G but got distracted and haven't kept up with the series. I'd like to go back and start with A and read the whole alphabet but I doubt I'll ever get the time! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're going to see Mary Karr?! Yay! Congratulations on your first grandbaby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on that first grandbaby! It seems like my first grandchild came just the other day, but that baby is now 20 and a junior at Berkeley...LOL.

    Love the look of your books...I'm curious about Voracious. Enjoy!

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on the baby! It's the best reason not to go to a literary festival. And those two Houston events also sound great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Let's just hope I'm not totally worn out by Thursday!

      Delete
  9. Great bookish events... always nice. And I agree- sometimes a comfort read is just what one needs. Have a nice week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. First grandchild!!!! Woot woot. Bet you can't wait! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your soon to arrive grandbaby. I just found out I'm going to be a great aunt! You are on X. I'm so far behind you in her series. At least I know I can easily get them at my local book store when I'm ready.

    My Sunday Post - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/09/13/whats-new-on-my-bookshelf-129-and-the-sunday-post/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh your first grandchild, now that's exciting!! Hope you have a quieter week, enjoy the book events and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know what you mean about X - you know what you're getting and Grafton delivers. They're nothing amazing but dependable and enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just put my name on the library hold list for Voracious - thanks for telling me about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO exciting to have a grandchild on the way... very happy for you!!

      Delete
  15. Nice update! I hope to get in a little reading time this afternoon while the apple butter cooks (sounds like the name of a soap opera.... "as the spoon turns".

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't been to a book event for quite a long time. The next one on my radar is the Twin Cities Book Festival on Oct. 17. I'm looking forward to meeting John Flanagan and Julie Kagawa among others coming in for the day. Here is my Monday Report. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A first grandchild? What a blessing! Great post, happy reading, and thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Enjoy the events with Mary Karr and Jonathan Franzen. I'll need the word on those. And of course your first grandchild. Wow terrific! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.