Sunday, April 17, 2016

Peace, Love, and Book-ed to the Max


I spent the last six days feelin' groovy at the Scholastic Book Fair at my school library. Peace, love, and books! Even though the sky was overcast, it didn't rain at the carnival yesterday and we managed to sell $2,000 worth of peace, love, and books in four hours. 

I was pretty groovy (that's me on the right in the brown vest).






Next week I'll spend at the Texas Library Association Annual Conference in Houston. There we will be reminding ourselves that Open Libraries mean Open Opportunities. Library Tech Day is Tuesday. Tuesday evening will be the opening of the exhibit hall. Let the book haul begin! Wednesday night is the evening 5K run/walk. I've taken home one second place medal and two firsts. We'll see how it goes walking in Discovery Green at night. Sounds quite fun. The author lineup is wonderful, of course, and I hope to learn more about Makerspaces and the 2016 Texas 2x2 Books and all the exciting new ways to encourage reading and learning. Love TLA!





Finally, I want to remind you about a book-ish event we can all participate in. It's Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-thon. I have read along with Dewey's Read-a-thon, twice a year, since I first became a blogger in June of 2008. That's...let me see...whew...well, I can't even figure out how many times I've joined in! Let's just say...a lot.

There are games. Chances to win prizes. Visiting other bloggers. Snacks. And, of course, reading. 

Happily, I will be a co-host again this year, for hours 12 (the critical halfway point) and 13. Hope you'll stop by and say hello.

Want to sign up? It's not too late. Head over here and get your name on the list.

Don't think you can make twenty-four hours? Let me tell you a secret. I've only read for the full twenty-four hours one time. It's okay. You do what you can. If you need a little more convincing, take a look at this post from 2010: Read-a-thon or Read-a-thon Lite?






What are you reading today?!






What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.

The Sunday Post is a meme hosted by Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news and recap the past week.

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at The Printed Page. We share books that we found in our mailboxes last week.  It is now being hosted here.

Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews in which you can share the books you've acquired.

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!  This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from! I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is now being hosted at The Book Date.

24 comments:

  1. That fair looks like so much fun. I am reading Raising The Dead by Karoline Barrett today.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like "feeling groovy," so that fair looks like fun to me.

    I have never participated in the Dewey Read-a-thon, but I want to...and why not? I'm usually reading anyway.

    I'm thinking about it...thanks for the reminder.

    Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great theme for a book fair! You definitely look groovy.

    Have fun at TLA! I love the Missouri Library Association conference, but it's been a while since I've gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'll pop over and check out the Dewey Read-a-thon details. I love making excuses to read, read, read. But perhaps I am too late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, there's plenty of time. Hope you will join in, Anne.

      Delete
  5. I already know of one meeting Saturday morning that I have to attend, but I'm going to try to read a few hours Saturday in honor of Dewey and her love of books. Hope to "see" you then :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ga-roovy! Love it- looks fun. :) And the conference does too- hope it's great! I always love the exhibit hall at conventions...

    One of these years I'm going to do the Dewey readathon, it looks like a lot of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do look exceptionally Groovy Deb! I'm sure you'll have an amazing time at your TLA Conference- I know how much you enjoy them. This was going to be the Dewey's that I participated in- I put it in my calendar and everything, but as always I'm working all weekend, and it's not going to work. Maybe next time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good grief, what's wrong with people? Making you work on readathon weekend? Very sad.

      Delete
  8. i love your outfit! i am soooo looking forward to the read a thon. My parents will be here so I am not sure how long I will be able to do it for but I am going to do my best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your Groovy outfit! And I love the theme! As for the Read-a-thon, I haven't participated before because I am always working! BUT, maybe I could listen to an audiobook while I'm working and read before and after? I guess "lite" would work too....

    Thanks for sharing and have a great week!
    Chick with Books Sunday Salon

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is definitely one of the coolest, authentic looking groovy outfits that I've seen! I loved doing the readathon the one year that I did it (I also cheered people on during several others). I haven't had time as much lately though. The Texas conference sounds like a lot of fun too - it's been on my radar because my husband is speaking there, so I've been seeing him prep for his presentation. I've only been to one library conference with him (ALA one year) and the exhibit hall was fabulous. Hopefully I'll get a chance to go with him again someday, or better yet, get to go to BEA. I have a feeling most of that is going to have to wait until my kids are out of the house though, because they are keeping me very busy now! I hope you have a great time at the conference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The exhibit halls are always fabulous, whether at TLA or ALA or IRA (now ILA) or BEA.

      Delete
  11. That is a seriously groovy look you have going on there. Very impressive.

    I'm a new blogger this year, so I was only dimly aware of readathons. I signed up based on this post! I can't be hardcore because of my family commitments, but if I can farm one kid out to a friend's overnight and give the rest of the family carte blanche on screen time, I bet I can get a sizable number of hours in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect book fair theme! That looks like a lot of fun. Don't think I'll be able to do read-a-thin this time, but hope to 'drop in' for a couple hours at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your groovy outfit and support of the book fair. I'm all signed up for the read-a-thon so I'll "see" you there. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my, that library event looks like you really made it fun. I admire those willing to dress up and get into the spirit of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look fabulous. My youngest's school is having their Book Fair since last week. I help set up some. Librarians are responsible for everything here; it's not PTA run like how it was in SF. The librarian has help from other friend librarians in which she helps them in turn. I purposely brought my tween who's school doesn't do it so she can find books; she consumes so many books every week. Picked up more books for my little one today and bought two of her teacher's requests. I swear I spent close to $100 over two buying trips. But it's so worth it. I used to love ordering from Scholastic as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, some day I might be back at a middle school as a librarian so that I can have fun with book fairs. For now at the high school level we don't do those. I love book fairs. Scholastic is having a big warehouse sale next month and I love going, but always have to stop myself from going crazy! Have a good week!
    Check out my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't believe it is Read-A-Thon time already. You looked groovy! Congrats on the success of the sale. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow Deb I LOVE your outfit. It's stunning.

    And a read-a-thon?! I've never done one. Now's not a good time for me as I'm thinking of putting my place on the market and have a bit to-do list for the next couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.