Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Books That Make Me Laugh

I don't read enough funny books. Maybe it's my Scottish heritage, but I tend to take life much, much too seriously. And that's sad. In many ways. 

If you are like me, please, for the sake of your mental health, set aside War and Peace now and then, and pick up one of these (mostly children's) books:







Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein
King Bidgood's in the Bathtub by Don and Audrey Wood
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems






The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm by Norman Hunter
The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett
How to Be Perfect: Poems by Ron Padgett
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll






A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare
Life With the Lid Off by Nicola Hodgkinson
Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott







Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
A Kiss for Little Bear by Else Holmelund Minarik






Sideways Stories from Wayside School by Louis Sachar
Shrek by William Steig
The Adventures of Treehorn by Florence Parry Heide







The BFG by Roald Dahl 
Henry Huggins by Beverly Cleary
The Case of the One-Eyed Killer Stud Horse by John R. Erickson







Diary of a Worm by Doreen Cronin
More Bears by Kenn Nesbitt
The Princess and the Pig by Jonathan Emmett








 The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett
Winnie-the-Pooh by A. A. Milne







Dept. of Speculation by Jenny Offill
The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin
We Are in a Book: Elephant & Piggie #13 by Mo Willems







 Good Omens by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman
The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde
One for the Money by Janet Evanovich






Percy Jackson's Greek Gods by Rick Riordan
Homer Price by Robert McCloskey
A Prairie Home Companion Pretty Good Joke Book 







I bet you have suggestions for me today. Please share them. We all need some humor in our reading. Thanks.




Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!


Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

18 comments:

  1. Wow! What a collection here! I just know the first one!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad I found this post. I haven't read any of these books although Winnie The Pooh and Tom Sawyer sound familiar from my childhood and I have watched the Shrek movies. Definitely, adding a couple of books to my TBR now. I really haven't read any books that I can term as being funny. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! We love Roald Dahl and Mo Willems around here and I see several that I haven't read yet but are on my bedtime books list that I want to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good choices! We love Dahl, Willems, and Cleary at our home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shel Silverstein always makes me laugh, Deb. Some of your other titles surprise me, but I'm glad to see The Westing Game. More people should know about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with The Colour of Magic, it's a great book. And the Percy Jackson books are definitely the ones to go for if you want to laugh :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun picks! I adore "Earnest" as a movie (never read a play) and think "Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus" sounds hilarious. Gotta' love a book with that title. ;)

    Also, I have a friend who loves Terry Pratchett books. The ITV adaptation was quite funny so I'm sure his books are fab. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alice in Wonderland, why didn't that occur to me! That's a great pick for this week. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this list! :)

    Thanks for visiting my blog earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mo Willems always makes me laugh. My daughter always picks his books to read. She likes to read them out loud and chuckle to herself. :) Great choices.
    My TTT: http://www.anovelglimpse.com/2016/04/19/top-ten-tuesday-ten-books-that-will-make-you-laugh-or-at-least-chuckle/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhh! Some of my all-time favorites are on this list! If you haven't read The Rosie Project, I found that to be very funny. Loved The Uncommon Reader, and I STILL quote a line from a Little Bear book and I think it may be the one you have on your list. "I did say MAYBE."

    ReplyDelete
  12. I, too, take life too seriously which means I should have used this week's TTT as an oppotunity to really stretch back and make an exhaustive list of oboks one could read it they really needed a lift. Thanks for your fun and odd list. Lonesome Dove? Is it really funny?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've only read a couple of these, so I'll definitely need to check some of them out. Thanks for sharing, and for stopping by my TTT earlier.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.