Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Top Ten Words I Love

Top Ten Words I Love

10. Serendipity
Life as play.

9. Paradox
All truth is paradoxical.
I don't know why.

8. Quirky
My real friends call me this,
not the harsher "crazy".

7. J'aime
In French, this is pronounced "jim" and means "I love".
My husband's name is Jim.
It is fun to say, "J'aime Jim." 

6. Zephyr
I like words that start with "z".

5. Whimsy
I wish we had more of this in life.
I wish we had more of this in algebra.

4. Czechoslovakia
I planned to name my two children
this and "Yugoslavia."
Sadly, I grew up
and named them Jon and Ben.

3. Maranatha
The beautiful word I use in silent prayer.
It means, "Come, Lord Jesus."

2. Books
Obviously.

1. Yes
Studies show that just hearing the word "yes"
makes people happy.

What are the Top Ten Words You Love?

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This meme was created because we are particularly fond of lists at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!


Each week we will post a new Top Ten list complete with one of our bloggers answers. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND sign Mister Linky at the bottom to share with us and all those who are participating. If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Don't worry if you can't come up with ten every time..just post what you can!

20 comments:

  1. Was it a Judy Blume book or a Beverly Clearly book where the little girl named her doll Mercedes? I think it might have been Ramona, but I'm not sure.

    And from one quirky gal to another...great list of words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something to ponder today. I've never thought about words I love to hear or say. I do like quirky. It always makes me think of someone or something that is a little different but lots of fun. Have a great day.

    Mason
    Thoughts in Progress

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice list! Zephyr and whimsy are definitely fun :D

    I gotta say I love mischievous and malevolent :) Must be the Mmmms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fjord! So much fun to say.

    Also, I really like the word "adept" for no good reason I can think of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love quirky! I had whimsical on my list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your list! I really wanted to pick a word or two from a foreign language for my list but I was drawing a blank!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your comment on Czechoslovakia! My son is eternally grateful that I did not stick to my idea that I wanted to name my first child "Cosmo Fritz." (Don't ask me why. I remember it being one of those really intellectual conversations we had in college....)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like phantasmagoria and brouhaha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, your list is full of whimsy and that makes me happy! I also wish Algebra had more of it too. Czechoslovakia would be an interesting place to visit even though for me that seems paradoxical too. J'aime books and your list as well! Keep on finding the serendipity in life! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a great little list! Thanks for sharing. I love the word whimsy. I can think of quite a few outcomes where I wouldn't want to hear the word yes but quite a few where I would.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So funny about naming your children! Zephyr is a great word!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love quirky too! And paradox is another good one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have always vowed that I was going to start a journal of words - favorite words and unusual words. This post may be my first entry :)

    My favorite of your group: J'aime Jim --- priceless.

    When I was a child - probably around 5 - I distinctly remember telling my parents that my favorite words were hominy --- and Chimney Rock (the name of a street in Houston where good friends lived)

    This post put a smile on my face!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Discombobulate & mumchance, I try to fit them where I can even on my comments box intro ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mumchance, eh? New to me...so I'm off to discover what mumchance means...Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay. No wonder I don't know what mumchance means. It means silent. No one has ever called me that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad to meet another person who loves the word zephyr!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.