Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Top Ten Characters I'd Name My Children After


1. My favorite.
Bet a lot of us would choose this one.
Atticus. 
from To Kill a Mockingbird

2. Should I go with Aramis, Athos, or Porthos?
Or D'Artagnan?
from The Three Musketeers

3. Named after the book character,
not the movie character.
Shrek.
from William Steig's Shrek

4. What about naming a child
after a favorite elephant book character?
Babar.
from Laurent de Brunhoff's Babar

5. Not her real name, surely,
but certainly a lovely one.
Stargirl.
from Jerry Spinelli's Stargirl

6. My husband, with his penchant for the western,
would love either or these.
Gus or Call.
from Lonesome Dove

7. Bilbo?
Or Frodo?
Gandalf?
from Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit

8. Chrysanthemum.
from Kevin Henkes' Chrysanthemum

9. So many wonderful names
from Shakespeare...
Romeo?
Macbeth?
Hamlet?
from Shakespeare

10. Or, what about naming my child after an author?
There are some fantastic author names...
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, for example.
Or Halldor Laxness.
Haruki Murakami.
Khaled Hosseini...
I could go on and on....


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

18 comments:

  1. I named my dog Sylvie after Princess Sylvie in The Great Good Thing, and my daughter's middle name is Louisa after, well, take a guess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always loved the names Dane (from Thornbirds) and Jory (from Petals on the Wind). I've also always wanted a daughter named Turtle(from the Westing Game) but I settled for naming one of my dogs that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas! Atticus would be at the top of my list as well, but I really like the suggestion of Babar :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe I forgot Atticus!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I picked Scout, but I also love Atticus. Also, Pippen is my favorite name from the LOTR series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know several people who've named their kids after Atticus and I even have a friend who named her daughter Scout.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chrysanthemum! I love that book! It was my favorite name for a while, because of the adorable little mouse whose name wouldn't fit on her nametag. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list - I love Atticus although I'd be more likely to use it as a middle name I think

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gotta agree with TB, Peregrin or Pippin is my favorite Tolkien name, though Gandalf wouldn't be too bad either ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stargirl is on my list too-though my LOTR pick is Samwise Gamgee :) Also, I might hav to go Scout over Atticus-as much as I love that book, every time I hear that name a little part of my mind thinks "Prison?"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun post. I picked Atticus as well. I think my favorite Shakespeare name is Portia, but Ophelia is pretty good as well.

    http://hawthornescarlet.blogspot.com/2011/02/top-ten-tuesday-namesakes.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun picks. I can just imagine having been called Stargirl though and I bet I would've become sick of the superhero references. Hehe! And I would definitely pick D'Artagnan! Sounds very valiant.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those particular names from Shakespeare may have a little too much baggage connected to them. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I named my dog Atticus! Literary names FOR THE WIN, I SAY! :D Although I seriously love the idea of naming someone Samwise. So nerdy and yet not too weird, compared to the other Tolkien names.๐Ÿ˜‚ Also speaking of Tolkien...that would be a good name for a kid right?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The names from The Three Musketeers are really nice! I didn't know there was a literary Shrek!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds tongue-in-cheek! Atticus is a lovely name... and I love the name Gus as a nickname. It sounds so homely and cuddly!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Choosing names is just such fun! :-) You've got some interesting ones on here!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I almost chose Stargirl for my post this week as I love the novel Stargirl, but went with another name from another novel by Jerry Spinelli.

    Here's a link to my TTT post for the week:
    http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2016/10/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-character-names.html

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.