Thursday, June 7, 2012

We Were Going to Italy: Oprah's New 2.0 Book Club and Book Serendipity

We were going to Italy. My husband-who-only-leaves-Texas-for-rock-digs actually offered to go with me to Italy this summer. He even got a passport. We even made airline reservations for Italy...$2,722.00.

That's love.

You see, my mom passed away last summer and I've been sad all year. The kind of sad where you find yourself wearing turquoise every day (my mom's favorite color) and where you unexpectedly bake chocolate chip cookies on weekends though your husband doesn't eat sweets (my mom was known for baking 100 dozen chocolate chip cookies at a time). 

So, Italy. My mom's people are from Italy. So, Italy.

And then not Italy.

I woke up the night after we made the airline reservations and got on the phone and cancelled them. Too much. It was too much. It was overwhelming. I'd just stay home this summer and...well, brood.

Then my husband decided to go on a rock dig. To New Mexico. I don't know why, but I told him if he'd wait until school was out for summer, I'd tag along.

We made out plans for New Mexico. Airline reservations. Cabin reservations. A whole trip.

So, New Mexico.

And then not New Mexico.

Two weeks ago, we started hearing about wildfires in New Mexico. We tried moving our dig farther north. More wildfires. There was a possibility that the airport in Albuquerque might even be closed because of the smoke from the fires.

My husband decided to move the whole trip much farther north. Oregon.

And I proceeded to do what I do best:  plan Oregon: Books.

I began to load up my iPad with library books. One of the e-books I found at the library was a book from my Amazon wishlist called Wild. I didn't know much about it. Not even sure how it ended up on my wishlist. But I checked it out last week. Before the hoopla.
So now I'm off to Oregon tomorrow, reading along with Oprah and a bazillion other folks, with the perfect book in hand for me to read on this trip.

Pure serendipity.


Sign up to join Oprah's 2.0 Book Club.

15 comments:

  1. Oh I'm sorry that Italy didn't work out. But it seems like it wasn't the right time, and it's great that you recognised that. I hadn't heard of Wild, or Oprah 2.0, I hope it lives up to the hype.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry your plans did not work out, but I too began Wild before the Oprah hoopla hit. I hope you are having a wonderful time in Oregon. It's gorgeous there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be my first time there. All I had to hear was that Powell's is in Portland along with a garden dedicated to Beverly Cleary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just promise yourself you'll get to Italy at some point- start building up airline miles, save your change, whatever! best trip of my life.

    I bought Wild before the Oprah news, too. I'm a little perturbed, since I kinda sorta hate her, but I'm still looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry for all this hassle! I hope you get to Italy soon. My husband is taking me there in the fall and I can't wait. If he changes HIS mind I"ll go without him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next year, I think. After I have time to learn a little Italian.

      Delete
  6. I hope you enjoy the book Deb! I read it last month for my face-to-face book club and I loved it. Along with Kitchen Counter Cooking School it's my favorite book of this year. Happy travels! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a strong story. I'm at 87% and I can't wait to get to the end. She just arrived in Oregon. Me, too.

      Delete
  7. Hope you have an awesome time. very thoughtful of your husband. Hope it helps you heal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a fun trip! I'm sure someday you'll be ready for that trip to Italy :) Wait until you're ready and I bet it'll be the trip of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Deb. I'm so sorry about your momma. *hugs* Have a safe trip. I hope reading Wild helps.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.