Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Top Ten Books To Get In The Halloween Spirit


Mind you, I don't like scary books,
so if are a Scary Book Person,
these will strike you as lame, I'm sure.

Here are the scariest books I've read:




Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
Yes, these are children's stories, but
trust me on this...
these stories are SCARY. VERY SCARY.



The Lottery




We Need to Talk About Kevin
Horrifying. Horrifying in its ordinariness.





Last Night at the Lobster
The deep wretchedness of ordinary American life. 






Nothing
That title is apt. 
This book is about a person who has lost all connection to life.
Very, very sad.



We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families





The Trick is to Keep Breathing
Depression.
It just goes on and on.



These are the scary books I've read.
What about you?



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

32 comments:

  1. Was We Need to Talk About Kevin turned into a movie? I think I have watched that movie and I didn't like it. It was just too..weird. ;)

    OMG, this title`We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families` makes me scared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Lottery! I remember reading that it school and being SO shocked at the ending! Great picks!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two books really caught my interest, Nothing and The Trick is to Keep Breathing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families" - I don't know if I could even pick up a book with that title.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So interesting that you put Lobster in the pile. It is a horror story of a different kind. Corporate restaurant work CAN be horrifying :)

    I'd add The Little Stranger, American Psycho, IT and Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are funny, Ti!

      And I haven't read any of the four you listed just because they are so scary!

      Delete
  6. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark is an absolute MUST!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scary Stories made it on to my list as well..just those pictures creep me out!
    My TTT: http://nightmareonbookstreet.blogspot.com/2012/10/top-ten-tuesday-get-me-in-mooood.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally used to own and read the first one on your list! So creepy, as well as Skin by Ronald Dahl

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm chuckling here. Most of my books aren't all that scary, but I wonder how Stewart O'Nan would feel about being included on your list! I loved Last Night at the Lobster, but Ti is right... a horror story of another kind!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a unique list. Those are the kinds of books I find most horrifying, ones about sadness and the darker sides of life and people vs. gory Halloween and supernatural books. I'm afraid to even pick up some of these titles, they sound so dark!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always enjoy your Top Ten lists- always something new and intriguing. The only book I've read here (and indeed the only one I've heard of is) We Need to Talk About Kevin- truly horrifying I think, and definitely deserves a place in the list. We don't celebrate Halloween in Australia- although supermarkets are pushing it to try to flog more chocolates and stuff, but I like the spooky list concept. My current read of The Graveyard Book is perfect too I think- and well crafted by the very clever Neil Gaiman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting that Australia doesn't celebrate Halloween!

      Delete
  12. I haven't read any of these. =(

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT

    Sabina @ Delirious About Books

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow..some of those books look bleak..and the cover of the first one looks creepy (I would totally add that to a top ten creepy covers post).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I completely forgot about Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark but had that as a kid. Would be fun to read as an adult and see if I still find it as scary.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used to love Scary Stories to Tell in The Dark as a kid. I'm reading We Need To Talk About KEvin at the moment, can't say I'm particularly enjoying it - it's so intense.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great choices! Especially The Lottery.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow. I read about four pages of "We Wish To Inform You" and had to stop, although I was awkwardly aware that it was pretty privileged of me to be able to make that choice. Still, the first scene has stayed in my head ever since. I recently read a Dutch book that is something like We Need to Talk About Kevin--The Dinner, by Herman Koch. Seriously upsetting stuff.

    I forgot about how weird and freaky Roald Dahl's adult stories are, as a previous commenter noted!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.