Saturday, April 27, 2013

¡Vamos! It's Time for Dewey's 24-Hour Read-a-Thon! Let's Go!




POST-HOUR 24

End of event meme

A Readathon tradition!

  1. Which hour was most daunting for you? Hour 16, 'cause that's when I fell asleep!
  2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? Graphic novels. Picture books. Browsable books (like Guinness Book of World Records). Poetry books. Audiobooks. A play. Short stories.
  3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? It was perfect.
  4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? Everything.
  5. How many books did you read? Two.
  6. What were the names of the books you read? Gilded Lives, Fatal Voyage. More Six-Word Memoirs.
  7. Which book did you enjoy most? I liked them both.
  8. Which did you enjoy least? NA.
  9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders? NA.
  10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? 99.99% likely. Co-host was very, very fun.


A big gracias to Andi and Heather who organized everything
and to all you bloggers who created mini-challenges
and to all you bloggers who were cheerleaders
and to all you bloggers who provided prizes
and to all you bloggers who participated!



HOURS 16-24

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
Just couldn't stay awake any longer.
But, hey, I got in fifteen good hours of reading
and I'm happy.




HOURS 13-14-15

Reading again.
Eleanor & Park.
Two chapters in.


HOURS 9-10-11-12

Time to get behind the steering wheel!
Time to co-host. Wish me luck.
I'm a little nervous.
came along at just the right time!
I tried every pose, but my favorites were 
Resting Child's Pose and Savasana.


And who could resist Kristen's Picture It! Mini-Challenge?!
Here's my favorite reading spot,
complete with inspirational Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus posters,
snuggly dragon pillow, and reindeer puppet.


And, of course, I couldn't pass up the Mid-Event Survey:
Mid-Event Survey
1) How are you doing? Sleepy? Are your eyes tired? Oddly, I feel good.
2) What have you finished reading? Two books.
3) What is your favorite read so far? Loved book about the rich people on the Titanic.
4) What about your favorite snacks? Almonds. Pizza is coming soon.
5) Have you found any new blogs through the readathon? Lots!




HOUR 8

I didn't get much reading done this hour, 
as I had to get busy for Hours 9-10-11-12,
when I will be co-hosting! Woo hoo!


HOUR 7

Here's my response to the Best and Worst Cover Challenge.
I'd have to call this Worst, Worst-er, and Most Worst Cover:


 Sorry, but as much as I love the text of WIT, I hate the covers. All of them.



HOUR 6

I finished my first two books last hour:
Gilded Lives, Fatal Voyage (Titanic)
More Six-Word Memoirs

Encouraging.

I think I'll spend Hour 6 reading.


HOUR 5


For this one, I have to share 
one of my favorite self-portraits,
with my book haul from the library conference:


Back to my book! Thirty pages to go.



HOUR 4 

Felicia at The Geeky Blogger challenges us this hour 
to rename our current read.
I'm currently reading Gilded Lives, Fatal Voyage:
The Titanic's First-Class Passengers and Their World.

That title's a little long, I think.

I'll rename it:
Immersed First-Class Morass


Back to the book!


HOUR 3

Whew! I was worried because
I'd scheduled (accidentally) a time to give blood today,
but it went really fast and now I'm back (sans one pint of blood)
with a new t-shirt and water bottle and two packages of snacks. 

The mini-challenge this hour is from Book Journey
Sheila invites us to create a menu for the book we are reading.

Easy-peasy. I'm reading a book about the rich people on the Titanic.

Here goes:

1.  Book title and author:  Gilded Lives, Fatal Voyage: The Titanic's First-Class Passengers and Their World by Hugh Brewster

2.  The menu, food, beverage, you can even go as far as background music, decorations: How about recreating the last dinner on the Titanic? Lobster Thermidor, Quail's Eggs in Aspic with Caviar, and Poached Salmon with Dilled Mousseline Sauce and Cucumber. A nautical theme, perhaps, with life rafts for seating? And we could dress to the hilt, with furs and jewels and, of course, life vests.

3.  You will receive an additional entry if you create a drink to go with your book event and give it a name: Apparently, the most popular drinks while on board were a Champagne Cocktail, a Manhattan, or a Martini. Or we might choose to pass out little vials of whiskey; one passenger's survival was credited to the enormous amount of whiskey he drank after boarding a lifeboat. Water might be a cruel choice.


Off to read a little more of my Titanic book! Hope you are all having a great time.





HOUR 2

This was truly found poetry,
a stack of books I plan to read before I visit Italy (one day!)

And I'm off to give blood! I'm taking a book 
and my iPhone with me...be back as soon as I can!



HOUR 1

AAANNNDDD...We're off!

Introductory Questionnaire

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today? An itty-bitty town in Texas.
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? Gilded Lives, Fatal Voyage: The Titanic's First-Class Passengers and Their World
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? Almonds
4) Tell us a little something about yourself! Primary school librarian. Blogger. Reader. 
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? I like to visit blogs. And do a little reading. 

PRE-HOUR 1



My delightful Meditation Room? Check.
Candle? Check.
Relaxation fountain? Check.
Reading music? Check.

Comfy reading clothes? Check.

Coffee? Check.
Snacks? Check.

Enormous stack of books to read? Check.

How about you? ¿Esta lista? Ready?

What are we waiting for? ¡Vamos! Let's go!




45 comments:

  1. Good luck with it Debbie. You forgot to tell us what you'll be reading- or at least starting with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This year I will only be a cheerleader Deb, have to read for an exam, nothing fun :(. But I wish you all the fun in the world, and gosh you do look comfy!
    A Girl that Likes Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a blast, your stack looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a blast, your stack looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice prep work!! I signed up last minute-ish (yesterday afternoon), but I made sure chores were done so I didn't have to worry about them today :D Have fun, and thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ¡Buena Suerte! Good Luck! Happy Reading!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome, Deb! glad to see you here & wEll prepared :))
    I'm also tweeting in case you are 2 - I'll watch for your tweets @_eHope
    ty for stopping by FHC !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the reading birds in the background. Have a great read-a-thon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with the read-a-thon. And most importantly, enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go, Deb! Happy reading friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cheering you on from Boston, Debbie. Enjoy your weekend of reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think your title is right on the money :)

    Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the self-portrait! That's an impressive book haul.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great self-portrait! And mmmmm almonds! I should have grabbed some of those for a snack.

    Have fun today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a librarian as well in an elementary school! Love the prehour photos!! Looks like you are having fun with the mini challenges, but hope you are reading as much as you wanted as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the self portrait and the Frederick book. Leo Lionni is one of my sons' and my favorite kids book authors! Good luck whittling down that wonderful stack of books today. Hope you are having a great day and enjoying all your reads! I'm a first time participant and focusing on cheering on other book lovers. Here's my Dewey's Read-a-thon post if you'd like to stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like you are having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy reading! Gosh, you're all set! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ha! Love the Wrinkle In Time Best/Worst covers. I had the one in the middle. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had the blue WIT cover and it was pretty awful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay for the read-a-thon! I like the very first Wrinkle in Time cover you have up, but you're right, they're all pretty bad! Good luck with hosting over the next couple hours. You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your self portrait, so fun! And good luck co-hosting, that is very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hope you are having fun hosting, and still wearing your comfy reading clothes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am, even though I had to put on some real clothes (my yoga pants and brand-new "Authors Are My Rock Stars" shirt) to go out and give blood.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This day looks so fun, I'm enjoying your progress from afar. You manage to have such a busy day, while on the face of it not doing all that much! Yoga, hosting, giving blood. Do you get to sleep?

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love how prepared you were at the beginning! I look forward to getting some yoga in.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Well, it's not quite 5 pm here, so I haven't even gotten sleepy yet. You really must join in next time, Louise. So fun.

    ReplyDelete
  28. When you've joined in for a readathon eleven times, you know how to prepare, Shan. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love your reading space! And who can resist the PIGEON!! :) I still have stuffed animals too that I sometimes read with. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  30. All the cool people read with stuffed animals, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great job as co-host as always Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love your reading spot, looks so comfy!! Great job co-hosting but even better job reading! Nearly 2/3 there!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Everywhere we go
    People want to know
    Who we are
    So we tell them
    We are the readers!
    The mighty, mighty readers!

    I hope you’re having a fantastic Read-a-Thon!
    Jennifer ~ Team Panda
    The Relentless Reader

    ReplyDelete
  34. LOL whenever I do yoga I like the resting child best too!!!! Good to see you're still hanging in there and thanks for dropping by earlier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Congrats on doing so much during the read-a-thon and for doing the restorative yoga poses!

    ReplyDelete
  36. you had a great readathon! happy recovery day!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Lol, fun post! I wish I had 24 hours to do something like this. i was trying to figure out what was in your reading stack but the image is too small!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I'm so jealous that you've done a readathon 11 times! It does sound fun, will definitely try to coordinate for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  39. You did SUCH a great co-hosting job! Wonderful, wonderful. I hope you'll be back with us in October!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.