Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Peculiar Character Names





Peculiar Character Names

I'm a name geek. I've always loved to think about names for dogs and cats and people and characters in stories I'm writing. My mom and I spent one of our best days making pickles, but most of that time was spent thinking of names for our pickles. (The pickles themselves weren't that tasty, frankly, but did they ever have some great names?!)

Here are some of my favorite peculiar character names.



Atticus, Scout, Boo, Dill, Jem
(To Kill a Mockingbird)




Katniss, Peeta, Prim
(The Hunger Games)



Rhett, Scarlett, Mammy, Prissy 
(Gone With the Wind)



Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler 
(From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler)



Pippi Longstocking 
(Pippi Longstocking)



Hermione Granger, Neville Longbottom, Severus Snape
(Harry Potter books)



Pip,  Ebenezer Scrooge, Uriah Heep , Abel Magwitch, 
Wilkins Micawber, Charity Pecksniff, Wackford Squeers
(Various Charles Dickens novels)


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

15 comments:

  1. We really have some names in common! True, To kill a Mockingbird holds a buch of weird names too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great meme, I've visited several sites who are taking part and love the names everyone is coming up with. My favourites here would have to be the Dickens though I'd be hard pressed to say which one I liked best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your name choices ...Katniss & scout :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agreeing on the names in To Kill a Mockingbird. Thank you for stopping by on the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Southern names, I think, are often pretty weird.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved reading all the off names people mentioned on their blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if there will be some new babies this year named Katniss?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sigh. Atticus is such a lovely name.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh Pippi I remember my grandma constantly teasing me for making my pigtails stick out to the side trying to be like her.

    Nice name choices

    Ashley
    Books Buying Beauty
    http://books-4-review.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these! Great choices, although if I had to pick one from your list, I'd have to go with Pippi Longstocking. It's a great name, and so fits the character perfectly!

    Denise @ Life With No Plot

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great choices! I love Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler :)

    Bella @ Ciao Bella

    ReplyDelete
  12. Prissy?
    Oh dear, she must have been bullied A LOT in school.
    Uriah is not an unusual name in my opinion; I've seen it around a lot lately.
    Thanks for stopping by my TTT & sorry for taking so long to reply back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just read A Gracious Plenty (loved it) and the main character's name is Finch. I loved the nod to TKAM. Our cat is named Scout :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just read A Gracious Plenty (loved it) and the main character's name is Finch. I loved the nod to TKAM. Our cat is named Scout :)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.