Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Little Books---Not Just for Little People



It has taken forever for teens and grownups to discover the delight of graphic novels. There was a day when no one over seventeen would have picked up what was derisively known as comic books. But look at graphic novels now.

Let's revolutionize the way teens and adults see picture books, too. Try these little picture books. How about assigning some for high school summer reading? The One-Book for your community? See what you think. Maybe all little picture books aren't just for little people.


The Keeping Quilt by Patricia Polacco


The Composition by Antonio Skarmeta


Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day


The Arrival by Shaun Tan


The Biggest Bear by Lynd Ward


Joseph's Yard by Charles Keeping


The Duck in the Gun by Joy Cowley


Tadpole's Promise by Jeanne Willis


Clown by Quentin Blake


Lend Me Your Wings by John Agard


Window by Jeanne Willis

And, don't laugh, but I'd also include How the Grinch Stole Christmas. And all fairy tales.


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

17 comments:

  1. Picture books are definitely not just for toddlers! What a great list- I've read some but not all. The Arrival and Window are definitely some of my favourites. It's interesting how much I love picture books, but don't see the appeal of graphic novels all that much. I learnt to read, and appreciate, verse novels last year- so our likes and choices can still grow and expand. Maybe one day I'll get them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost all of these are 1001 children's books. I've always wondered why picture books are labeled children's books. So many junior high and high school students could benefit from reading these stories, and they wouldn't have to struggle through the text like so many assigned secondary novels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Persepolis byMarjane Satrapi’s would be a great choice .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! I haven't heard of any of these, but they all look fantastic =D Thanks for sharing this!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of these books look great for reading with my kids! Would they suit kindergarten age?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love Alexander and the Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day! I'll have to look for the others. We read a lot of picture books around here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should definitely include the Grinch and The Cat in the Hat - I love Green Eggs and Ham!!
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice topic!! Here's my TTT post for the week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/01/top-ten-tuesday-authors-id-like-to-meet.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE children's books and picture books! They are so enjoyable to me. My favorite as of late is "The Day The Crayons Quit" it is so cute and we read it all the time (might want to add my youngest is 9!) Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the cover of The Arrival. Whenever I go to the bookstore and stop in the children's section to look for a book for my daughter, I inevitably find one or two I know I will like--just not sure about her. Even before I had a child, as an adult, I enjoyed finding unique picture books and often would get one for Christmas from my mom. Great list!

    Chalk by Bill Thomson is probably my current favorite. It just so happens my daughter likes it too--but between you and me, when I buy a copy (which I intend to do), it'll be for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great list! I always remember Quentin Blake as the illustrator of Roald Dahl's books :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Picture books are for kids of ALL ages, and you've got some great ones listed here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Picture books are for kids of ALL ages and you've got some great ones here :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great topic. I don't read much in the way of picture books but Clown and Lend Me Your Wings look gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great topic. I don't read much in the way of picture books but Clown and Lend Me Your Wings look gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wish more books included pictures. I've read some really interesting picture books with my nieces and nephews (and on my own). I recommend Neil Gaiman's picture books (mostly kid appropriate) and Patrick Rothfuss' Princess and Mr. Whiffle series (geared towards adults).

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.