Tuesday, June 28, 2016

An Absurdly Long and Quite Random List of the Best Books-About-Books


The Shelf
Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader
Fahrenheit 451
84, Charing Cross Road
Book Lust
An Uncommon Reader
Inkheart
Reading Lolita in Tehran
A Passion for Books
So Many Books, So Little Time
Tolstoy and the Purple Chair
Leave Me Alone, I'm Reading
The Polysyllabic Spree
The Reading Promise: My Father and the Books We Shared
How Reading Changed My Life
Used and Rare
The Jane Austen Book Club
Possession
Book! Book! Book!
Ruined by Reading: A Life in Books
The Book Thief
Book by Book
Rereadings
The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry
Read This Next
My Ideal Bookshelf
The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore
The Novel Cure
Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress
Voracious: A Hungry Reader Cooks Her Way Through the Great Books
Among the Gently-Mad
Kelsey Green: Reading Queen
Classics for Pleasure
The Fault in Our Stars
The Book That Changed My Life
Wild about Books
The Bookseller of Kabul
The Book Lover's Cookbook
The Case of the Missing Books
The Library at Night
The Night Bookmobile
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore


That's totally overwhelming, isn't it?

To add a little order, these can be roughly grouped into several subcategories:

Lists of Good Books
Book Challenges
Essays about (Mostly) Books
Children's Books about Books
Novels/Memoirs in Which Books Play a Significant Role

Now, let's see if I can group the above into these subcategories.

Lists of Good Books
Book Lust
Read This Next
My Ideal Bookshelf
The Novel Cure
Classics for Pleasure
The Book that Changed My Life

Book Challenges
The Shelf
Tolstoy and the Purple Chair
The Reading Promise
Voracious
Rereadings

Essays about (Mostly) Books
Ex Libris
A Passion for Books
So Many Books, So Little Time
Leave Me Alone, I'm Reading
The Polysyllabic Spree
How Reading Changed My Life
Used and Rare
Ruined by Reading
Book by Book
Among the Gently Mad
The Library at Night

Children's Books about Books
Inkheart
Book! Book! Book!
The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore
Kelsey Green
Wild about Books

Novels/Memoirs in Which Books Play a Significant Role
Fahrenheit 451
84, Charing Cross Road
An Uncommon Reader
Reading Lolita in Tehran
The Jane Austen Book Club
Possession
The Book Thief
The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress
The Fault in Our Stars
The Bookseller of Kabul
The Case of the Missing Books
The Night Bookmobile
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore



More? Thoughts? I hope you will share them in the comments.

SaveSave

17 comments:

  1. Such a long list, and still I haven't read a single one of them! I honestly can't think of any books about books that I have read off the top of my head :p Interesting list!

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Books about books! What a wonderful topic. Not to mention a comprehensive one worth saving for future reference. I've read several on your list and many others are ones I'd like to read someday. I meant to read Tolstoy and the Purple Chair the year after my father died, but I still haven't gotten around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only two books I can think of are Book Scavenger and Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library. I love how you've organized the list. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I feel like books novels that include a lot of rhapsodizing about books are a little much--like authors who were always called nerds for liking books are trying to create a character who is cool BECAUSE they like books. It gets a little meta.

    That being said, I adored The Book Thief, Fahrenheit 451, and Ex Libris, and I liked the role the novel played in TFIOS. Books with book lists are fun too. The Thirteenth Tale and The Shadow of the Wind also come to mind. I love your extensive knowledge; thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I didn't realize there were so many. And I've even read a few of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love books about books! Inkheart is one of my favorites, it speaks to my bookish soul. Loved the list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a big list indeed! I've only read The Book Thief and The Fault in our Stars, but I'll definitely have to check out the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome list! Surprise?, I have read and enjoyed lot of those. May I add 2 amazing ones I just finished? The Complete Review Guide to Contemporary World Fiction, by Orthofer. Got it on Netgalley, and then bought it. Best reference ever for what it says.
    I read a novel recently where books and a library are very important. It is a very beautiful book: https://wordsandpeace.com/2016/05/10/book-review-the-sacred-combe/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've added both of these to my wish list. Thanks for sharing these two new-to-me books.

      Delete
  9. I love your list! I want to read the following books you've listed: Tolstoy and the Purple Chair and The Book Thief,

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week:
    http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2016/06/top-ten-tuesday-freebie-week-things-i.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. The only one out of all of these I've read is The Book Thief, but it's one of my favourite books ever!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/06/28/top-ten-tuesday-63/

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are so many on your list! I don't think that I have read any of these, but I love books that talk about books. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my! One of these that I need to read is Inkheart - somehow I missed it while growing up.

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a wonderful list! I like books about books and have read some of the titles on your list. but most of them are new to me and I´ll try to find them in libraries and bookstores

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love books about books. There I have read many of these but still should take a peek at others. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is an interesting and unique list! I don't think I've read any books about books...

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.