Tuesday, March 21, 2017

100 One-Night Reads

I'm crazy about short books. I'm not one for an author who goes on and on; I'd much rather read someone who can tell it all in a little.



The best book I've ever found on short reads is 100 One-Night Reads. Every book the authors list is a book that can be read in a single evening. No more excuses like I don't have time to read, folks. Turn off the tv and read a book.

Over the years (the copyright is 2001) I've picked up many books from this book of books. Here are some of the best from this book:

Dubliners               The Great Gatsby               Mrs. Bridge

Between Meals: An Appetite for Paris          Breakfast at Tiffany's 

Animal Farm          As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning          84, Charing Cross Road

The Sun Also Rises          True Grit


I am off now to request some other books from the list from the library. I think I'll try Where Angels Fear to Tread and Snow Country and Pale Horse, Pale Rider.

Do you have any short books that you recommend?







Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!


Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

16 comments:

  1. Gatsby was one of my favorite books in high school. Great list!

    My TTT: http://jacquesbooknook.blogspot.com/2017/03/top-ten-tuesday-books-i-have-read-in.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making my way through reading/re-reading some classics, they make for quick reads and I'll have to add Animal Farm. My TTT link

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love short stories too. Animal Farm was a bit creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice list! Between Meals is a new to me title to check out!!

    Thank you for leaving me a comment on my TTT post this week.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting concept. I notice how many of those are classics, e.g. books people might find intimidating, so their length might be comforting. You inspired me to sort my GR shelf by page length. After weeding out children's books and books I didn't like that much, some standouts are:
    *Tribes by Seth Godin
    *Stop Pretending: What Happened when my Big Sister Went Crazy by Sonia Sones
    *Guts by Gary Paulsen (also Nightjohn, Soldier's Heart, etc.)
    *The Commitments by Roddy Doyle
    *Sachiko: A Nagasaki Bomb Survivor's Story by Caren Stelson
    *Ten Days a Madwoman by Deborah Noyes
    *Gifts from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindburgh
    *A Room of Own's Own by Virginia Woolf
    *Fatty Legs by Christy Fenton Jordan

    Plus, of course, books of poetry and plays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! Never knew there was such a list! I remember reading Gatsby in high school though and to think it was stretched our for maybe 2 weeks? Which is reality was probably one week since we alternated classes, like one week MWF would include English then next week TuTr would have English. Lol!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved Animal Farm...and have been meaning to read The Great Gatsby and The Sun Also Rises for ages. - Katie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Animal Farm and The Great Gatsby are two books I definitely read in one sitting. Great list!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't actually believe that I forgot to include Gatsby on my list! Gatsby is my go-to when I'm in a reading slump - short, dazzling, different every time I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the newer True Grit movie - I think I'll have to try the book. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like your suggestions. Here are mine: The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri/Small Admissions by Amy Poeppel/Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor/The Cat, The Quilt and the Corpse by Leann Sweeney and The Improbable Theory of Ana and Zak by Brian Katcher. These are all quick reads, lighter reading, and ones that have a message, but not one you want to slow down and ponder over.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping by my blog. This is such a great list! Also thanks for accepting my friend request on goodreads. I added you on there when I was going through and marking books for the 1001 children's books challenge and kept seeing your name on them. You are making such good progress on it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I still need to read (and buy) Animal Farm. I've heard such great things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh lord. I'm such a bad bookworm. I haven't read any of these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh, I love short books. I’ll have to look for 100 One-Night Reads. I’ve read a lot of the books on your list and liked them.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.