Sunday, April 22, 2018

National Bookmobile Week, Yoga for Book Lovers, and Dewey's 24-Hour Read-a-thon

I had a turbulent week last week, with a mandatory new financial system training at work, wrapping up the book fair, a Dance Party in the library during Fun Day/Field Day at school, getting my stitches in my thumb out, and worrying over my ninety-one year old dad having a pacemaker installed.

But all went well. Friday was an odd no-holiday holiday day-off from work, so I got some time to rest and relax and read.

NATIONAL BOOKMOBILE WEEK

Last week was both National Library Week and National Bookmobile Week. Do you remember bookmobiles from your childhood? I got my first library books from the bookmobile that came to our little town when I was a little girl.



We have a book bus that travels throughout our school district during the summer. It's the Alvin ISD Book Bus. It's a great opportunity for children who live in the far reaches of our district to be able to continue to check out books over the summer months.

Curious about bookmobiles? Here are some stats about them.


TALK TO BOOKS

Have you heard about the new Google search? You can ask a question and Google will search its database of books for answers. It is quite fun. Take a look at Talk to Books.


BALDWIN LIBRARY OF HISTORICAL CHILDREN'S LITERATURE

I spent some time last week exploring the University of Florida's Baldwin Library of Historical Children's Literature. It's a collection of 130,000 children's books published in the US and Great Britain between the mid-1600's and the present day. I wonder why many children's books from the past are sanctimonious. I don't think I'd have found reading so enchanting had I grown up in the 1800's.


YOGA FOR BOOK LOVERS

One of my friends, local author Glenn Starkey, shared this with me last week. Anybody else a yoga person? I may try this during Readathon next weekend.



DEWEY'S 24-HOUR READATHON

One of my favorite events of the year will be next weekend. Can you read for twenty-four hours straight? I can't, but I still have a lot of fun trying. Have you signed up? Sign up today here.




What are you reading today? 




What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.

The Sunday Post is a meme hosted by Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news and recap the past week.

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at The Printed Page. We share books that we found in our mailboxes last week. 
 It is now being hosted here.

Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews in which you can share the books you've acquired.

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!  This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from! I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is now being hosted at The Book Date.

17 comments:

  1. Deb I love the yoga for book lovers and will definitely be checking that out.

    See you at Dewey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a huge yoga person and I am getting ready to go to my class at 10am this morning. I will check the yoga book out and thanks for bringing it to my attention. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a network of mobile libraries in the UK, too. When I lived in a small village in the middle of Somerset, we had a mobile library that visited us every week, which was a lifesaver for the children when I couldn't get into Yeovil to the main library... I hope the thumb continues to heal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad your Dad's surgery went well. Hopefully, this next week will be less busy. Yes, I do remember bookmobiles very well. The Austin Public Library had some when I was in my younger teen years. That was before many of the outlying branches were built. One came to our neighborhood every couple of week, parked right by our house (we were on a corner) and then plugged a big electric cord into an outlet in our garage. I laugh about that now. They did ask, of course, and my Mom gave them permission. Never got any reimbursement for the electricity used though. I think I read practically every adult book in bookmobile one summer. The yoga for readers is funny. I especially like the 'Sleeping Editor' pose (AKA corpse pose). Best part of yoga practice, the relaxation at the end. Ha! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There were no bookmobiles in our area when I was a child, but in adulthood, there was one in the little foothill community where I lived for 13 years.

    I have never read for 24 hours straight in a readathon...but I've come close to that on my own. Maybe I should try?

    Enjoy your week, and thanks for visiting my blog. I can't wait to read Housekeeping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just love that Book Bus!! We never had a bookmobile when I was growing up, but there was a wonderful library in town. Hope I can join in for readathon at least part of the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't done Dewey's read-athon recently, but I have it on my calendar and I will do it this year! I need to start getting my list of books together. So excited!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, it sounds like you had a crazy week. I’m glad everything worked out. I’m so excited for Dewey’s! My dog is having surgery two days before it, but hopefully I’ll be able to get some reading done. Have a great week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow you sure had a lot going on. I'm not sure how much readathon I'll get done, but I'll be following along.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never seen a Bookmobile. I would have been excited to see one as a child. I'll check the readathon although my weekends are always so hectic. I hope you have a less turbulent week and get some downtime.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the idea of the Alvin Book Bus. I used to worry that many of my rural students wouldn't have access to books over the summer. I tried and failed at yoga recently. It is not the activity for me. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I definitely remember bookmobiles. It's been a long time since I've been in one. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't tried talk to books yet but I'm sure to eventually. Come see what I'm reading

    ReplyDelete
  14. Strabge about book mobiles! Today there was a very good documentary on a bus library in isolated northern frozen Finland. I couldn't imagine somewhere so very isolated.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad your dad's surgery went well. I know that's always a bit stressful even when it's a relatively minor procedural. I love the bookmobile! What fun and what a great way to increase children's access to books. We didn't have a bookmobile when I was a kid but I vividly remember when a new "fancier" library branch opened. Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never used an actual bookmobile. I would love to see my district start that summer tradition though!

    Talk to Books is fun! I just asked it "Should I move to Denmark?" "What is a migraine like?" and "How do you know when you're in love?" None of which are questions I actually need answers to--I was just seeing what it would come up with.

    I am not going to do Read-a-thon for the first time since I learned about it two years ago. Next weekend I'm going to a writing retreat for 4 days, and I can't abandon my family two weekends in a row. And as one of my students once pointed out, my 24 hour read-a-thon is a 48-hour-without-mom-a-thon for my family. But I'm sure I'll read some on Saturday, and I'll check in to see how folks are doing. I hope you have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I definitely need to check out the yoga book.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.