Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Philosophy(ish) Books (Gulp!) You Haven't Read But Mustn't Miss

Philosophy doesn't sound very interesting to you? You've never taken a class, then, or maybe you had an awful teacher.

The best class I ever took was in philosophy. We read and thought and discussed, read and thought and discussed, and read and thought and discussed until we found that pattern, reading-thinking-discussing, carried over into our everyday lives. It's a good way to live.

Here are some philosophy(ish) books you might like. 



At the Existentialist Cafe




After the Ecstasy, the Laundry




How to Live Or A Life of Montaigne in One Question and Twenty Attempts at an Answer




My Name is Asher Lev




Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance




Lila




How to Be Perfect (poetry that's philosophical)




Zen and the Zen Classics




Antifragile




Montaigne in Barn Boots




Walden




The Sufi Book of Life: 99 Pathways of the Heart for the Modern Dervish




Zen Camera




Maybe you also have some titles to share with me. I'd love to hear your recommendations.







7 comments:

  1. Hmmm...for me, probably not. It's the idea that I like my philosophy to come through storytelling, not that I don't like pondering deep concepts with many angles. I do like the 'read-think-discuss' theme though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting topic. I don't think I've ever read anything specifically about philosophy. I might have to change that some day. Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you read ISMAEL by Quinn? I want to look into a lot of these books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, what a unique topic. Walden is the only one I've read and I loved it. Every time I see the title for Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, I'm always so intrigued but have yet to actually pick up the book. I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly, the most I don't know. We have other books on German.
    Of course, I know Thoreau and Montaigne...
    Would complete the collection with "The Book of Mirdad" by M. Naimy
    https://www.amazon.de/Book-Mirdad-Lighthouse-Haven/dp/014003286X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1524031261&sr=1-2&keywords=Book+of+Mirdad

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oo some hefty reads. Yes, my philosophy class in school was rather lacking. Awesome you enjoyed yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to read the Montaigne books, I have been reading a few books about Happiness and Life recently. They've been interesting.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.