Tuesday, December 11, 2018

The Best Read-Aloud Christmas Stories for Children



I retired in May, and I loved being a school librarian. There are lots of things I miss.

One of the things I miss most about being a school librarian is this time of the year when I shared my favorite Christmas stories with children. I'm a researcher by nature, and I carefully polled people and researched books other librarians and teachers loved to read aloud to children. Then I found out for myself what works best: I read aloud stories. 

I won't be singing Christmas songs, or dressing up for Polar Express Day, or sharing my favorite Christmas read-alouds with children this year, but I can share some of my favorite read-aloud stories with you.


FUNNY STORIES ABOUT SANTA AND REINDEER AND CHRISTMAS TREES AND OTHER CHRISTMAS-Y THINGS

Mrs. Claus Takes A Vacation Santa's Book of Names Santa Claus the World's Num... I See Santa Everywhere How Santa Really Works Olive, the Other Reindeer Santa Calls Santa's Crash-Bang Christmas Brave Santa Auntie Claus Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree
Mrs. Claus Takes a Vacation
Auntie Claus
Santa's Crash-Bang Christmas
How Santa Really Works
I See Santa Everywhere
Santa's Book of Names
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Mr. Willoughby's Christmas Tree



STORIES WITH BELOVED BOOK CHARACTERS

Just about every beloved children's book character has his or her own Christmas book. Clifford. Arthur. Froggy. Fancy Nancy. Bear. Minerva Louise. They all have their own books. Take a look.


Clifford's Christmas Bear Stays Up for Christmas Merry Christmas, Big Hungry... A Christmas for Bear Fancy Nancy: Splendiferous ... Santa Bruce Snowmen at Christmas Minerva Louise on Christmas... Froggy's Best Christmas by Jonathan London Arthur's Christmas (Arthur ...
Clifford's Christmas
Bear Stays Up
Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear
A Christmas for Bear
The Peterkins' Christmas
Minerva Louise on Christmas Eve


NEW VERSIONS OF OLD STORIES

The Teachers' Night Before ... Texas Night Before Christmas The Twelve Days of Christma... Cajun Night Before Christmas 

The Teachers' Night Before Christmas
A Pirate's Night Before Christmas
The Soldiers' Night Before Christmas
Texas Night Before Christmas
A Cajun Night Before Christmas
The Twelve Days of Christmas Dogs
Pete the Cat's Twelve Groovy Days of Christmas
Twelve Days of Christmas in Texas



CHRISTMAS MUST-READS 

The All-I'll-Ever-Want Chri... Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree Yoon and the Christmas Mitten The Polar ExpressThe Little Match GirlThe Steadfast Tin Soldier A Child's Christmas in Wales A Christmas Memory The Night Before Christmas How the Grinch Stole Christ...

The All-I'll-Ever-Want Christmas Doll
Mr. Willoughby's Christmas Tree
Yoon and the Christmas Mitten
The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree
The Polar Express
The Little Match Girl
The Steadfast Tin Soldier
A Christmas Carol
A Child's Christmas in Wales
A Christmas Memory
The Night Before Christmas
How the Grinch Stole Christmas



What have I forgotten?

I've created a Best Read-Aloud Christmas Stories for Children list at Goodreads. I'd love to have you add your favorites to the list and vote.









Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.

12 comments:

  1. I love your lists!! Thanks for sharing them with us!!

    Here's a link to my Top Ten Tuesday post for this week: https://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2018/12/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-free-little.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our family listens to A Child's Christmas in Wales each year and we read the British version of Twas the Night Before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the story my mom would read to us "Christmas Every Day" where it was Christmas for an entire year and people got sick of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all so cute! My favorite to read out loud with my daughter is The Polar Express.

    Here are some holiday reads I would like to read: My Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love The Polar Express. I'll take a look at your recommendations next. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. I really ought to read Olive, the Other Reindeer sometime. Fun!

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a thorough list of holiday books. You must love children and books very much. https://pmprescottenterprises.wordpress.com/2019/12/03/top-ten-tuesday-winter-movies/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a fun list. I wish my kids would still let me read them a holiday book every night in December like we used to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sad when those traditions slip away. Maybe you can work in one good story?

      Delete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.