Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Books that Should be Adapted into PBS Masterpiece Shows

When I don't know what I want to watch on television, I look for Masterpiece on PBS. It's also a great way to find good books. Poldark, for example, and the books by the Dorrells, are two recent examples of good books that found their way into Masterpiece shows. 


Here are some I recommend.


Excellent Women by Barbara Pym



Right Ho, Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse



Cider with Rosie by Laurie Lee



The Ginger Man by J. P. Donleavy



The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck



Dubliners by James Joyce



A Month in the Country by J. L. Carr



The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka



Don Quixote by Miguel Cervantes



A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole




Perhaps some of these have already been made into shows.
What do you think about these possibilities?
Any additional suggestions?



Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.

20 comments:

  1. What a fab list, I think Terry Gilliam made Don Quixote in to a film after many years of trying, I could be wrong! I loved the original Jeeves and Wooster with Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie but its quite an age now, it maybe needs a reboot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cider with Rosie would be good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don Quijote is my pick.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Deb! I love all the Jeeves books. The BBC series with Stephen Fry as Jeeves was EXCELLENT!! Even my husband watched it with me.

    Why did no-one think of making a movie or series of Don Quijote yet? Or did we just miss it?

    Thanks for stopping by my blog, hope you are keeping well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, The Good Earth is a great choice! I'd watch that for sure.

    My TTT .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the classic choices here! Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your take on this week's topic. Cider with Rosie and A Month in the Country would be great for adaptations. Thanks for sharing and for visiting my blog.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2020/08/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-books-that.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to watch anything by Barbara Pym, and based on how much I loved Jeeves and Wooster, Woodhouse as well! Great ideas here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks so much for mentioning pbs. mr wonderful works for the them and i do remember watching with my son decades ago. :-) your support is appreciated very much
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know a lot of these -- that's a great list. Yes, Jeeves and Wooster as Heather mentioned was done some time ago. I'd love to see the Maisie Dobbs or Bryant and May books done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your spin on the topic, Excellent Women would be a good one! I can really imagine what it would look like. Don't know how they'd do the Metamorphosis though!!

    My TTT: http://basedonthebook.blogspot.com/2020/08/top-ten-tuesday-books-id-watch-as-bbc.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think so many of these would be good. And I just started Poldark recently and am really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful collection of reads never mind movies! J L Carr I need to track it down.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Let's be honest, any PBS series is going to be well done and if it's based on a good book, I would watch it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many great choices this week! Honestly, I could see any of these working. And while A Confederacy of Dunces isn't my favorite book in the world, it would really be nice to see an adaptation finally make it to the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I went on a big Pearl Buck kick years ago. Anything by her would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow!!! What a great list! I just added a bunch of those to my TBR.

    Also, thanks to you posting the cover of A Confederacy of Dunces, I now know that THAT is the book I tried to read, not Infinite Jest, and ended up bailing on it. Mystery solved. Thank you! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Most of these would be much easier to watch than to read, for sure.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.