Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Books Guaranteed to Put a Smile On Your Face

Humorous books? The best.

Warning. I have a very childish sense of humor.

What are the books guaranteed to put a smile on my face? And we could sure use a little of that right now, btw.



Any Mo Willems book. Especially Elephant and Piggie.


This may look out of place. 
But, a big yes to Dreyer's English: An Utterly Correct Guide to Clarity and Style.



Hank the Cowdog audiobooks. 
My favorite of the series: The Case of the One-Eyed Killer Stud Horse.



The Portable Veblen.
Yes, that's a squirrel on the cover. 



Three Men in a Boat sure doesn't look funny, does it?
But this audio of three men who boat down the Thames 
kept us enthralled on a long trip.


Surely you have read Where the Sidewalk Ends.




Anything Discworld.



A. J. Jacobs. Love all of his snarky experiments in extreme living.



Strange Planet: Life on Earth through the eyes of an alien. 




Baking With Kafka. Book humor. 





A Prairie Home Companion's Pretty Good Joke Book.
Sometimes it's just nice to read a few pretty good jokes.
Warning: Over-the-top corny.



Please share your recommendations with me.





Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.

26 comments:

  1. Now I want to read Dreyer’s English!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the last months have made me feel like Alexander and his terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad day! Our daughter loved that book and I loved reading it to her. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have any good recommendations but I love getting yours. Good to remember for our Baby Grands as they grow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baking with Kafka! I'm sold already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read Where the Sidewalk Ends very recently, and it was so wonderful. Sad in a way (like the one on Yipiyuk), but also made me smile. That book is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to read Dreyer's English and Three Men In A Boat.

    Happy Tuesday, Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some of those have the cutest titles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun collection of books! My granddaughter was a HUGE fan of Mo Willems a few years ago, but she's moved on (like to college).

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVED The Year of Living Biblically!! I've started to go for The Portable Veblen a few times, but never did. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We LOVE Mo Willems books! I also have a weird/snarky sense of humor. The Know it All also sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're right, we all need something to smile (and maybe laugh about) right now. My husband would have to agree with you about Terry Pratchett being on the list!

    When you get the chance, I hope you can pop over to my post: https://readbakecreate.com/10-books-with-yellow-covers/

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many children's books put a smile on your face. I need to do my post tomorrow, but am going to try and use adult novels.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I could really use some happy uplifting books these days! I tend to find my smiles in TV (right now I am rewatching Schitt's Creek during my workouts)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't read most of these, but I absolutely crack up at the Strange Planet comics. Excellent choice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I heard A.J. Jacobs speak at a conference once. He's hilarious! I enjoyed his IT'S ALL RELATIVE, but that's the only book of his I've read so far. A YEAR OF BIBLICAL LIVING looks entertaining, for sure.

    Happy TTT (on a Wednesday)!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I liked Dreyer's English. As a former copyeditor, it was right up my alley. ha.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree about Pratchett! I just read my first from him this year (The Truth) and really enjoyed it and laughed while reading. I am eager to read more from the Discworld. Next up: The Fourth Elephant.

    I also read my first Jeeves and Wooster novel this year and would also recommend them as books that make a reader laugh. :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. I read Dreyer's English on my Kindle, then ordered the hardback because I wanted it on the shelf where I could easily reach for it and enjoy it again. Three Men in a Boat--I should really reread this one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My kids always loved the Willems books. I miss children's books so much. Maybe I can volunteer to do a story time at my local used bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Three men in a boat (to say nothing of the dog) is one of my favorite classics! I've listened to it on Librivox and loved the audio version. I will add P.G.Wodehouse here as well. I haven't read Terry Pratchett in years, but some of my little ones at school are starting with it now, guess I need to recap!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mo Willems is still a favorite around here! Will loved the Piggie and Gerald books and we still own quite a few.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love Where the Sidewalk Ends. I still have my copy from when I was little. These are great choices.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dreyer's made for a good textbook/handbook one semester.

    ReplyDelete
  24. always great to find another Pratchett and Discworld fan!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.