Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Wondrous Words: The Superior Person's Book of Words by Peter Bowler

My (online and real-life) friend Rae of Powerful Women Readers shared a fabulous book with me in June, The Superior Person's Second Book of Weird & Wondrous Words by Peter Bowler, and I enjoyed it so much I immediately wrote a blog post about it and sought out a copy of the first book. 

I'm delighted to reveal that The Superior Person's Book of Words is just as delightfully snarky as the second book. Here are a couple of my favorite words.

How about this word? It's truly wondrous.

QUIDDITY n. The essence of something; literally, its whatness. One might say that the quiddity of a quiddity is its quirkish, quizzical, quibbling quaintness.

We all know someone like this, don't we?

SATRAP n. A petty or subordinate ruler with despotic powers within his own realm. An assistant principal, bus driver, motor-vehicle inspector, or headwaiter.

How about this one?

KEDOGENOUS adj. Brought about by worry, or anxiety. Useful for excuses. "I'm awfully sorry, darling, but I'm afraid I seem to have another of my kedogenous headaches."

And there are illustrations sprinkled throughout the book. Okay, one more.


And now I need to pass along this book to Rae, don't you think? 

I wonder if there's a third book...



Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you can share new words that you’ve encountered, or spotlight words you love.  Feel free to get creative! It was first created by Kathy over at Bermuda Onion and is now hosted at Elza Reads.

15 comments:

  1. Quiddity - I like the rhythm of that word! It will stuck. Acerebral - hmmmm.... I can think of a couple of people who I am convinced suffer from that dreadful condition!

    As always, a great post with lots of smiles and giggles. Thanks for taking part in WWWW Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sound of quiddity, too. I hope I can keep it in my poor acerebral mind.

      Delete
  2. You know the words sound like some one has just made them up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard or read kedogenous before, but I certainly know the feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only heard of satrap in reference to smaller rulers during Britain's occupation of India. Interesting that it includes bus driver! Sounds like these books are right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of satrap yesterday as I was reading David Copperfield. David's step-father was a satrap, I think, as were his schoolmasters.

      Delete
  5. Quiddity is my personal favorite. I'm always trying to find ways to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are all terrific -- but quiddity is my fave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to see there are so many great words for things.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for leaving the book at my back door, Debbie. I briefly looked it over and have added it to my TBR-SOON! stack. LOL
    I am thinking of copying you (again!) and starting a Wednesday Wordplay post. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like great fun. You can also join in on Mareli's Wondrous Words post. The link is above.

      Delete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.