Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Top Ten Travel Narratives

I'm crazy about travel narratives.
When I can't decide what to read,
I always look for a travel narrative.

Here is my list of the Top Ten Travel Narratives:


Blue Highways: A Journey Into America
The first travel narrative I remember reading.


A Year in Japan
Beautiful pictures along with a
wonderful travel narrative.

Shooting the Boh
I've recommended this one several times.
It's fabulous.

Paris to the Moon
I fell in love with the idea of going to Paris
from the moment I first read this book.


Dark Star Safari
All the way across Africa.
With Paul Theroux.

Notes from a Sunburned Country
Neither Here Nor There
I can't leave out Bill Bryson.

Glory in a Camel's Eye: A Perilous Trek through the Greatest African Desert
Yet another trip I will never take
except by book.

Angry Wind by Jeffrey Tayler
And then there's Afghanistan...
with shooting still going on....

Blue Latitudes
Retracing the path of Captain Cook...
Tony Horwitz is a favorite.


Travels in Siberia
And, if you get tired of the tropics,
you can always head for cooler weather.


How about you?
Can you think of a good travel narrative I missed?


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

18 comments:

  1. Travels in Siberia seems cool, I'd like to go there for a wild holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list. Walk in the Woods is an all time favorite at my house. "Why did you throw out the coffee filters? They weigh an ounce." I feel his pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome list - I rarely read travel narratives and I have no idea why. It's a great way to visit places I might never actually go to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been meaning to read A Walk in the Woods. It sounds like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read anything like these, interesting pick! Thanks for stopping by my blog :)
    Jessi @ Auntie Spinelli Reads

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! I've only read a couple of travel narratives, but I'm definitely going to check out some of the ones on your list! I really want to read the Bill Bryson book, I've heard great things about his books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to travel, so I seriously need to check your list out at the library someday.
    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Honestly, I can't say I've read any of these books. And when I think of travel in a book, I don't think of traveling in this world (big giveaway that I like fantasy). I guess we're a little different from each other :)

    Thanks for visiting my Top Ten.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to travel a lot more than I do now. I haven't read any of these books, but what an innovative idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've honestly never read a travel narrative, mbut the ones you've listed here seem really interesting. I might have to give one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love The Walk in the Woods cover.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really must get to reading Paris to the Moon! I love Bill Bryson too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read a lot of travel literature and you've got some of my favorites on your list: Blue Highways, A Walk in the Woods, and the Gopnik is on my list for the future.
    Some of my favorites are As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning by Laurie Lee (a beautifully written memoir of this English poets travels in Spain in the 30s, just before the Spanish Civil War), and Without Reservations by Alice Steinbach.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dvora, I really loved As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning and Without Reservations! I hope you'll share any other favorites with me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I googled "travel narrative" because I'm going to be traveling and am looking for some books to load onto my ereader, and this list popped up. I've actually read three of them. I don't think "A Walk in the Woods" is Bill Bryson's best. My Favorite is "Notes from a Small Island" about England. I annoyed my husband because I was reading in bed and couldn't stop laughing out loud while he was trying to sleep---not usually a problem.

    A book I'd add to the list is actually 2 volumes and was published in 1843 by John Lloyd Stephens, "Incidents of Travel in Yucatan". If you have ever been to the Yucatan or if you're interested in archeology and/or the Maya, it's a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love travel narratives so much that I should do a post on my favorites for each part of the world.

    I probably like that Bill Bryson best because it was the first I read of his.

    Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  17. An interesting list for sure! I think I'll have to finally use my library service for some of these :-)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.