Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Top Ten Book Romances That Would Make It In The Real World



I'm a dreamer, yes, but I'm also a realist.

And I studied psychology in graduate school,
so, trust me, I know about disfunctional relationships.




So it is with great regret that I tell you that
none, absolutely none, of the romances in books
would last in real life.









That's right.

And I'm not just talking about the romances in books like these:
    
I don't think really we need to waste time discussing the future of these relationships,
do we?




You say, How about
Anna and her charming Étienne
in Anna and the French Kiss? 
Please. They fell in love in Paris.
After they return home?  Ha.







Hadley and Oliver, who meet in an airport and fall in love
in The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight? 
(C'mon, we all know the real statistical probability of that!) Ha.





The relationship of Ed and Min in Why We Broke Up
didn't even make it to the end of the book. Ha.







That's it, then.
None, absolutely none, of the romances in books
would last in real life.







We know these wonderful book relationships
could never make it in real life,
and that’s what we love about them.






So, how about you?
Do you see hope for book character relationships?
Share with me.




Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

26 comments:

  1. I'm going to throw out Major Pettigrew and Mrs. Ali. Here's my link to that review: http://bookbelle0819.blogspot.com/2011/02/love-story-for-valentines-day.html

    It's the first and only one that comes to mind. I think they will go on for eternity.

    I think I am a hopeless romantic at my center though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I have to disagree. It would be lovely if their relationship lingered and bloomed (I loved this story, too) but I'm not hopeful.

      Delete
    2. Good gracious - what in the world are they going to do without each other?

      Delete
  2. Funny but you have a point! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harsh! No, no no! I can't believe that. I refuse too. LOL!
    It's just so sad to believe that. I mean, no Jane Eyre and Mr. Rochester? Really? No? Just lie to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay. I will lie to you: All of these couples will spend the rest of their lives gazing into each other's eyes for most of the day.

      Happy?

      ;->

      Delete
  4. I'm not sure I agree. I mean you can find similar stories in real life. Some of these couples would make it. Not all , and none Of the ones above. But statistically , some of these couples could make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they would break up. For the sake of the story, if nothing else.

      Delete
    2. I'm with Lenna. If they're in real life, there is no story to serve, and it all boils down to is this the type of couple that would actually work at a relationship once the circumstances and butterflies surrounding their initial infatuation fade? In many cases, the answer is no, but I think it is just as unrealistic for you to say that NONE of them would survive as for someone else to say that ALL of them will.

      Obviously, they're fictional and everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just my $0.02.

      Delete
    3. Wisely said, Lauren. Of course I'm just being a little obnoxious here. Devil's advocate, if you will.

      Never take me too seriously.

      Delete
  5. That's an interesting take on things. I think you have a point, although I think some couples stay together even in books, usually the ones who had a dramatic beginning to their relationship (like Noah and Ally in The Notebook) and go on to live a pretty normal life. So who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a romantic, I like to think the romances can really happen :)
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe in romance, but do I believe that people who barely know each other can meet and stay together for a lifetime? Sadly, no.

      Delete
  7. Awesome picks! I really need to pick up a copy of The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight. It sounds pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely story, but that's what it is---a story. Not real life.

      Delete
  8. Bahaha, this list cracks me up and it's so true!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha! You're awesome!

    At the end of my list, I make a comment doubting my own choices.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, sad but true. That's the magic of books though. Maybe one day I will walk into and airport and fall helplessly in love. If that happens, I promise to let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to float the idea that you aren't reading the right books here. If you want lasting romance, most YA isn't going to cut it. The flutter of lust (or the excitement of Paris) is exciting and all, but as you point out, it doesn't last. Several of my picks skewed older, or were romances based on enduring friendships.

    As for Ed and Min, I'd argue: what about Min and Vinnie?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are right, of course; I purposefully focused on YA, perhaps because it is as young teens we tend to be most deluded about romance. In real life, you'd never guess I can be such a curmudgeon....I've been happily married for 34 years!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your post made me laugh! What about Claire and Jamie from the Outlander series (assuming time travel was possible)? Or even better - what about Anne & Gilbert from Anne of Green Gables. I think they'd have a shot. :) I do get frustrated with the teenage love triangles in YA books. I feel like yelling at the heroine, "Live an independent life for a few years. Personal happiness is not dependent of a hunky, hunky guy!"

    Ironically, I was in a sort of triangle situation and had to make a decision between two boys when I started dating my husband (at 19) and we got married at 20. We've been married now for almost 15 years, so I guess I'm not one to talk.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.