Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Top Ten Favorite Books I've Read During The Lifespan Of My Blog (That Were Recommended by Bloggers)







A librarian friend was telling a story the other day
about the time she and her husband
forced her two teenage sons to go to see a Broadway play.
The boys begged to be left back in their hotel room,
but the librarian and her husband made them go.
When the librarian and her family got into the taxi,
after the play was over,
there was a long silence.
Then the younger son said abruptly,
"The next time I don't want to do something
you want me to do...please make sure I do it."



I've been blogging since 2008.
That's four years of blogging.


I read reviews in newpapers and in magazines,
but the best recommendations I've ever had for books
come from bloggers.


Here are ten favorite reads from the last four years
I never would have read
except for the urging of bloggers.




by James Thurber
Illustrated by Marc Simont





by George R. R. Martin





by Jon McGregor




by John Updike






by Tim O'Brien





by Philip K. Dick



by Peter Cameron




by L. J. Davis




by John Green




by Suzanne Collins




So,
the next time I don't want to read something
you want me to do...please make sure I do it.
And thank you for your recommendations.
Keep them coming.




Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

27 comments:

  1. I really must read The Fault in Our Stars, so many people love it. It's great to find books that you don't expect to like, but then love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must tell you that I came away from my first John Green book, which also had raves all over the blogosphere, feeling just so-so about this author. Over-hyped, I thought. Then I read this one. Maybe it was just a better match for content (cancer) but I became a new John Green fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the John Green book at home but haven't got around to it yet. And THG is fun. :D
    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The characters in the John Green book are that perfectly real mix of horribly flawed and delightful perfect.

      Delete
  4. Fault in Our Stars keeps popping up on so many lists - it's moved to the top of my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My wishlist is immense since I started blogging! I've not read any of these books but I plan on reading Game of Thrones soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seems to be no good way to deal with it either. The only real solution is for authors to start writing terrible books that I won't feel compelled to add to my wishlist.

      Delete
  6. I've read one of these and saw the movie of another. Glad they gave you a lot to think about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though they may not look like good reads, they are amazing reads.

      Delete
  7. Like Sam, my TBR list is HUGE since starting blogging - my wallet is taking a serious hit. Especially since I'm in a tiny town in north wales and my library is disappointing!

    I didn't honestly love The Fault In Our Stars - I'm going to give another of his a go though, because so many people love him. I do love the Game of Thrones books (I'm just about to start A Feast for Crows) and of course, The Hunger Games!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like Sam, my TBR list is HUGE since starting blogging - my wallet is taking a serious hit. Especially since I'm in a tiny town in north wales and my library is disappointing!

    I didn't honestly love The Fault In Our Stars - I'm going to give another of his a go though, because so many people love him. I do love the Game of Thrones books (I'm just about to start A Feast for Crows) and of course, The Hunger Games!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a different John Green book (Looking for Alaska, I think) and I was underwhelmed. It may just have been because the book was so hyped here.

      Delete
  9. The Philip K. Dick book is on my long TBR list (it's been there an awful long time...better get on that!). Here's my Top Ten List.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I HAVE to get my hands on The Fault in Our Stars - it's a shame I haven't yet. So many people say it's the best out of all of his books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a really difficult time choosing from just under two years worth of books, I can't even imagine 4! Great job narrowing it down!

    Karis @YA Litwit

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG 4 fours of blogging that's amazing :D ! Hunger Games and The Fault in our stars are awesome books <3. I haven't read the others but I loved Game of thrones tv show ! Thanks for stopping by my blog !

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved The Hunger Games. It was also a book I might not have read if not for book bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a terrific diverse list. Thanks so much for sharing. I've now added a couple more titles to my ever-growing TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a great list of books!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a great list of books!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.