Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Top Ten Best Movie Adaptations




Top Ten Best Movie Adaptations 

Please allow me to briefly rant. I hate it, but many bad movies have been made from brilliant books. This is one of my biggest pet peeves. So I say to you movie producers out there: If you aren't going to make a magnificent movie from that magnificent book, then just move on; there are plenty of fair-to-middling screenplays out there that you can use and you won't spoil my dinner.

These very-good movies from very-good books are the exception, I think:

 To Kill a Mockingbird



 Gone With the Wind



 The Grapes of Wrath



 The Remains of the Day


 Breakfast at Tiffany's



 Do Androids Dream of Electric Sleep?/Blade Runner



 The Princess Bride



 Game of Thrones



 Lonesome Dove



 Life of Pi

What are your thoughts? What do you think are the best movie adaptations ever?


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

22 comments:

  1. My favorites are The virgin suicides, Bridget Jones' Diary, The hours and latest adapatation of Anna Karenina.
    Gone with the wind is fantastic too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen Virgin Suicides and the newest adaptation of Anna Karenina. Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen all these movies/shows and loved them too but haven't read the books. I probably should do that. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen any of these films! Great picks though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I've only seen/read one or the other from your list. Haven't seen To Kill A Mockingbird, even though it's on EVERYONE's list. Reading The Princess Bride would be easiest, since my Hubby has a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would almost say seeing the movie of Princess Bride is as good as reading the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, definitely The Grapes of Wrath! This is a fantastic list, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thoroughly enjoyed your rant!

    My Book Bubble

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always forget that Blade Runner is an adaptation. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent picks! I still need to see Life of Pi though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ah the Princess Bride and Blade Runner ..Great list :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Breakfast at Tiffany's was great, the book and the film! Blade Runner - great example of really adapting the book for a different medium and making it work, and it lets me enjoy the book and the film for totally different reasons! Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally agree with To Kill a Mockingbird! That movie was amazing, and Gregory Peck is just absolutely fantastic! I'm reading A Game of Thrones now and enjoying it before I jump into the TV show so it's good to hear that it's well done. I had no clue that Blade Runner was an adaptation, I'm going to have to fill in those gaps. Awesome list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I still need to watch Life of Pi (I couldn't get into the book though). I love Gone With the Wind - it's a masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I also have Breakfast at Tiffanys. I want to read Life of Pi before I see the film and the Game of Thrones books are piled up high at the top of my TBR list. :)
    Ciara @ Books are my Bling

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had forgotten Breakfast at Tiffany's and Lonesome Dove! LD was such a great miniseries!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd include the Harry Potters actually - fantastic casting.

    Re Joan of Arc, after getting fascinated by her when in France I read quite a few books about her. Her story is so amazing that if it happened today no one would believe it! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes I love Gone With the Wind. And Princess Bride is great too! Great list


    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  19. I prefer reading books. I loved reading the books - To Kill a Mocking Bird, Gone with the Wind, and The Grapes of Wrath. I loved the Gone with the Wind movie.

    I feel that movies limit our imagination and may have cut/rushed through certain parts that were (interesting) in the book.

    When I read the Memories of Geisha, oh, I spend time imagining how beautiful the motifs on the kimono might have been. Well, when I watched the movie, I was disappointed. The essence of the book was lost somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So glad you mentioned The Princess Bride, I loved that one too. We have a few in common... I totally forgot Life of Pi, and Breakfast at Tiffany's.
    I love Sci-Fi, but I just can't watch Blade Runner. I can't explain it, but I have never yet managed to watch more than the first 15 minutes or so.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Blade Runner is outside my comfort zone, too, but it is a brilliant movie.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.