Monday, January 13, 2014

It's Monday Again! What Are You Reading?!


                 



Arrived in the Mail Last Week


The holidays were quiet, mail-wise, but I'm happy to see that 
my books-for-review mail has started to pick up. 
Funny, but I've read and loved books from all three of these authors before.
That makes me quite hopeful.

Happier at Home


The Little Moose Who Couldn't Go to Sleep


Birdie's Big Girl Hair





What I Read Last Week

I finished my reread of Grapes of Wrath and
then jumped right into Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?
We watched GofW movie last night so I'm fully immersed in the Dust Bowl days of decay and despair.

The Longest Road came in for me at the library in the middle of my Great Depression reads. 
I thought it might be a nice break from the dark but it had its own feeling of melancholy.
Caputo and his wife and dogs take to the road across America to see what holds us together
as a nation. He talks to a lot of people, many of whom are discouraged and down
about the state of America today. Nevertheless, I'm glad I went along for the ride with his crew.


The Grapes of Wrath


The Longest Road: Overland in Search of America,
from Key West to the Arctic Ocean by Philip Caputo


Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?
The Great Depression 1929-1933



I've started Happier at Home, so that should be a cheerier thread. This month, at my primary school library, we'll be looking closely at all the possible Caldecott winners, and we will have a Mock Caldecott of our own. I'll try to take some photos and write up a post about this soon.

What are you reading today?!




It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!  This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from!

I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! As part of this weekly meme Book Journey loves to encourage you all to go and visit the others participating in this meme. Book Journey offers a weekly contest for those who visit 10 or more of the Monday Meme participants and leave a comment telling BJ how many you visited.

23 comments:

  1. Hi Deb, enjoy your new books. I see you read Grapes of Wrath last week -- liked that one, but East of Eden and Of Mice and Men are my Steinbeck favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Grapes of Wrath best. Of Mice and Men is very good, but East of Eden was just meh for me.

    It's the characters I think Steinbeck does best. A simple man. A preacher who can't preach. A pathological madam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's to a happier reading week for you! I king of need one of those myself but my choice this week doesn't seem to fulfil that need.
    :-)
    Bits & Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to set a resolution one year to read only happy books. I actually sought out a list of books like that (there is one made yearly in the UK, I think) but I couldn't find any of the books easily here in the US and I gave up.

    Maybe we only read bleak books here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your pairing of a nonfiction book with your fiction book. I have enjoyed all of the books by Milton Meltzer I have read. Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a few sad books in a row. But isn't The Grapes of Wrath fantastic? I loved it (and read it several times). hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prefer Mice and Men but Grapes of Wrath was good. I'm just about to start watching the two seasons of Carnivale which is set during the depression I believe

    Read on!
    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a very good Milton Meltzer book, Kathy. It relies a great deal on primary sources.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a very good Milton Meltzer book, Kathy. It relies a great deal on primary sources.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a very good Milton Meltzer book, Kathy. It relies a great deal on primary sources.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not familiar with The Longest Road but it looks very interesting, I'd be very curious to see the different perspectives he encounters along the way. Think I'll add it to my list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Will be interested to see what you think of Happier at Home, I read her first book. She is a very literate person, I follow her blog as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Grapes of Wrath is one I've been meaning to read for ages. I feel like a bad history teacher for not getting to it yet ;)

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I liked Longest Road a lot. Wish news people and politicians spent more time wandering the country, talking to random people.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm almost finished with Happier at Home. She always surprises me with ideas I've never considered. One that has hit me so far is to "under-respond" to children and spouses. I tend to respond with the same level of concern that children and spouses express and that just seems to spike the entire conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Grapes Of Wrath! There is one I do not believe I have ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's a must read. The people, the conversations seem so real to me. And, of course, a powerful story.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm working my way through everyone's best of 2013 books this month, so I've been happy so far! Just finished Rats Saw God and loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm working my way through everyone's best of 2013 books this month, so I've been happy so far! Just finished Rats Saw God and loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm working my way through everyone's best of 2013 books this month, so I've been happy so far! Just finished Rats Saw God and loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm working my way through everyone's best of 2013 books this month, so I've been happy so far! Just finished Rats Saw God and loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another great reading week for you I see. I've been meaning to read Steinbeck for some time.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.