Monday, January 6, 2014

It's Monday!


                 
 
 

What I Finished Last Week
GoldenWhy Teach?: In Defense of a Real EducationDaily Rituals: How Artists WorkThe Stench of Honolulu: A Tropical AdventureDaring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead
Uncharted: Big Data and an Emerging Science of Human HistoryParis LettersHow to Get Filthy Rich in Rising AsiaThe Pink Hotel

Yes, an impressive start to the new year, right? Ah, but you know my secret, don't you? Yes, I worked on these right up to the end of 2013 and then finished the last page in 2014. Still it makes for a nice emotional boost to start the year.
 
Here are links to my reviews, if you want to know more.
 
cover title author review                                                                         
Golden

Kirby, Jessi        

How silly is this? I stayed up until eleven o’clock last night reading this book. I knew what was going to happen and it did happen just as I had thou...more
    
 
       
Why Teach?: In Defense of a Real Education
A book of essays that center on the value of education and the ways an education these days is diverging from the path of an education in the past. Th...more    
 
       
Daily Rituals: How Artists Work
Currey, Mason        

They do it all different ways, I’ve learned. Early hours of the day, before dawn. Late night. All day, every day. An hour after dinner, and that’s all...more
    
 
       
Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead
Brown, Brené         

A new favorite quote, from Theodore Roosevelt: "It's not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the do...more
   
 
       
The Stench of Honolulu: A Tropical Adventure
Oh my. I can’t remember reading a book like this in a long, long time. Completely and totally silly book for grownups. Not that the plot is important...more    
 
       
Uncharted: Big Data and an Emerging Science of Human History
Aiden, Erez        
Big Data is a new idea to me. I think it means information that is obtained about people by using the big tools of technology. In this book, Aiden and...more    
 
       
Paris Letters

There are lots of reasons that you shouldn’t bother reading this review of Paris Letters if you really want to read an honest review. I can’t write ho...more
    
 
        
How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia

A poor boy in Asia uses the vehicle of this book to share ways of getting rich amid his life story. It’s a hard story, a dark story, a sad story, but...more
    
 
       
The Pink Hotel
Stothard, Anna         

Lily is dead. Lily’s daughter (I can find no other name for her) knows little about her mother. She sneaks into the pink hotel her mother ran for her...more
    
 



What are you reading today?!




It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!  This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from!

I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! As part of this weekly meme Book Journey loves to encourage you all to go and visit the others participating in this meme. Book Journey offers a weekly contest for those who visit 10 or more of the Monday Meme participants and leave a comment telling BJ how many you visited.

18 comments:

  1. It looks like you got off to a great start this year and read a wonderful variety of books. Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your trick, and it is not as if you did not read the books!! Might have to pick up a copy of Paris Letters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. Last week I read 2 of Tracy Chevalier's books: Girl a With a Pearl Earring & Remarkable Creatures. Older books but ones I never read & since I borrowed them from my sister almost 1 year ago - figured it was time I got to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do feel like I've gotten off to a good start. The pressure is off....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked Chevalier's Girl with a Pearl Earring a lot, but, as is usual with me, I haven't read anything else by her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still reading Grapes of Wrath. I will probably finish it today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, lots of books! I haven't heard of any of them but they sound really interesting. Thanks for stopping by!

    Zareena @ Books and Books

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great start to the new year. : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful trick! I did the opposite...trying to finish several in 2013 so I could start in 2014 with the First Book of the Year I had chosen.

    Here's MY WEEKLY SUNDAY/MONDAY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I love the variety in this list. What a great way to start the year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wowzas 2014 is off to a great start! :)

    Happy Reading This Week!! The Brunette Librarian's Blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was at awe with all the books you've finished in just one week... until I learned of your 'secret.' But why not, it's certainly a great start, regardless when you started the book, it's a good motivation to get going for a wonderful year of reading. All the best in 2014! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It should certainly motivate you for the year!

    Have a fab reading week

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd out

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well its a great start no matter how you do it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now that's a motivating start for the rest of the year, one I should keep in mind lol
    I'm going to pick up a copy of Paris Letters, I can't resist basically anything with Paris in the title I'm an easy target.
    Have a great week and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I first saw all those covers I was astonished at what you can achieve in just a week! Now I see how you did it…. It's still an amazing feat though. I'm most jealous of Paris Letters.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I read The Pink Hotel a while ago now and I really didn't enjoy it - the blurb lead me to believe it would be something it wasn't.
    I hope you enjoy your reads this week!
    :-)
    Bits & Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a great trick as it does make for an impressive kick off to 2014! And I don't know a single one of those titles or authors. Always nice to learn about other books and authors this way!
    I hope you had good reading this past week too.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.