Saturday, January 11, 2014

Listening to Bread Sing: A Passion for Bread



I bake bread. My family has a tradition of this. Everyone loved my Grandma Ashley's homemade biscuits and my Aunt Marie made the best yeast rolls in the world. My grandma and my aunt have passed away now and the title of Family Bread Maker has passed on to me.

So I was very happy to receive this book in the mail recently:



Look at the rave review on the cover from the founder of La Brea Bakery: "A masterpiece of baking that will turn your kitchen into a Parisian boulangerie." A Parisian boulangerie. A Parisian boulangerie. Oh my.

I thought I would read through it first. Here's what I read early this morning, as I ate my breakfast:
'Much as a wine connoisseur tastes and experiences each bottle, a baker fully experiences the loaves that he bakes. When the bread has cooled a bit, I hold it up to my ear to listen to it "sing"---soft crackling sounds. I admire its warm golden color. I slice it and deeply inhale its aroma. I listen as the crust crackles and snaps in my hands. I admire the crumb - the shiny holes, the color, the textures...I shut my eyes, and Ah! The aroma embraces me....'
'To listen to it "sing"...crust crackles and snaps...The aroma embraces me...Parisian boulangerie....' I couldn't resist. I suddenly decided to try my first recipe from this book today.


It's still rising, so it will be a few hours before I can actually listen to it sing, but I'm very hopeful. 



Are you a baker, too? What kinds of bread do you bake? Have you ever heard bread sing?


Here are a few of my favorite bread-ish posts from the past:


Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads and is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. You do not have to post on the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.







18 comments:

  1. I adore that cookbook!! Like you, I'm a very experienced bread baker but I learned new things, loved the writing style, and got several new recipes to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never made yeast bread, isn't that crazy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy that I have this book.

    My loaf is rising now and I'm thinking about how I want to score it. The scoring, according to the book, identified each family's bread in the past in France. Can I create my own family score? I think so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Shhhh, Diane...Don't tell anyone, but making bread is much easier than one might think....)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love freshly-baked breads. But here's the rub... I don't bake. Thanks for sharing your experience. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is nothing like freshly baked bread, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fresh baked bread is the best. hot from the oven with butter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmmm, nothing like freshly baked homemade bread!

    I have baked bread before with good results, but haven't in a long time. Maybe seeing this book will inspire me to try again. Wish I could taste your bread today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally have a passion for bread--eating rather than baking, but still a passion. I have been wanting to try baking my own bread so it sounds like this is a book to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Inspiring - but my baking is not too good - due to an inability to follow recipes exactly! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  11. I use the bread machine to make teh dough and then bake the loaf in the oven - nothing to creative - just plain white and rolls etc though this week I made cinnamon and garlic Monkey Bread - check out out my Weekend Cooking post :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoy baking, but I'm very much an amateur - bread is certainly not on my list of things to attempt any time soon. However, nothing beats the smell of fresh bread. The smell of a new book comes close, I must admit.
    :-)
    Bits & Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't baked bread in a long time.I found a super easy recipe a few years ago and I'm afraid we ate far too much. I can ignore ice cream and cookies, but warm bread and butter is my downfall. I need to learn moderation. ;) Here's the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My husband recently bought My Bread by Jim Lahey. It also talks about bread singing and crackling. Both loaves he has made recently have done a bit of whistling and crackling. I showed him your post. He'll probably be looking for this book too! Hope your bread came out good :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. If there is more out there about singing bread, I'm in. I'm off to add My Bread to my Amazon wish list. Thank you, Terri!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love to bake, making dough and giving it shape is so relaxing. And eating it later - yummy. It definitely makes a beautiful song in my tummy. :D

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.