Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Great Books that Independent Booksellers Recommend

I'm always running across books made of wonderful lists of books. Last summer, I found one that I have subsequently spent a lot of time browsing through.



A lot of time.




 Hours and hours.





 Possibly too much time.





Each independent bookseller was asked to provide a list of top one hundred books. After careful analysis of the lists of books handpicked by booksellers from America's indie bookstores, I found ten books that lots of booksellers recommend that I also recommend.


And now I will share those with you.




The Things They Carried (recommended by 6 different booksellers)
Let the Great World Spin
Crossing to Safety
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles





Lonesome Dove
A Fine Balance
We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families




Gilead
The Phantom Tollbooth
Suite Francaise



Does anyone know books as well as indie booksellers?










Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

17 comments:

  1. Nice list, and I can admit that I haven't heard of ANY of these books (fine, I live under a rock in Norway).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. It's okay. Lots of us live under a rock in Norway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a great list of books this week. :) Haha, though I admit i don't know any of them
    My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps you, also, live under a rock in Norway? Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of any of these! Thanks for all the suggestions! :)

    Here are my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! I <3 Suite Francaise, I'm looking forward to the movie adaptation coming out soon (don't when though; I feel like it's been in post-production forever!).

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, I've heard of all of them. I think that makes me old. LOL

    I've only read 1 of them - A Fine Balance. Lovely book. Well, not lovely, but wonderful. And, yes, indie booksellers are the best. That's why I love the Dilys Mystery Award. It's given by the Independent Mystery Booksellers Association. Gotta trust what they like to handsell. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait, I've also read The Things They Carried.

      Delete
  8. they just seem like the same old same old books that everyone else is recommending. at least to me anyway....

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just listed the ones that lots of independent booksellers recommended and that I had read and loved. Soon I'll do a list of the books I hope to read from the lists.

      Delete
  9. Nice list of books to read!! I have several of the book titles on my reading wishlist. Happy reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Let the Great World Spin will be one of my top ten favorite books for life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting - two of my favourite books are in this list. The rest aren't exactly my cup of tea, but we've promoted them a lot of times at my (chain) store :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, very nice list! I must admit, I am not familiar with these, BUT I definitely plan on checking them out! Thanks for sharing :)
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  13. Suite Francaise and The Things They Carried - absolutely!! It's a must for any reader, as it is not only well written, there's something there to be appreciated by anyone. Great list. I have to check out the others if they're as good as those two.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a neat list. I haven't read most of these. The Phantom Tollbooth is fabulous. I would recommend it to any kid.

    Thanks for visiting The Book Connection.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.