Tuesday, April 7, 2015

How're They Doing Now? Characters I Feel the Need to Check On




Scarlett O'Hara...Gone With the Wind...How many husbands did she finally end up with?




Meg Murray...Wrinkle in Time...Has her grownup life been better than her teen years?



Stargirl...Did she stay zany? Or did she become a regular old grownup like the rest of us?



The basketball players...The Last Shot: City Streets, Basketball Dreams...Where are they now? Alive, I hope.



Our main character in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance...Is he still peaceful? Or does he sometimes fight bouts of depression?



Gringos in Paradise: An American Couple Builds Their Retirement Dream House in a Seaside Village in Mexico...They moved off to Mexico a long time ago. Is it still paradise?


Lynne Sharon Schwartz...Ruined by Reading: A Life in Books...Was it? Did reading really ruin her life?


The Pigeon...Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus...Did he ever get to drive it?



Sam-I-Am...Green Eggs and Ham...What food is he trying to push off on people now?



Madeline...Is she running Paris? I hope so.





Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

27 comments:

  1. Green Eggs and Ham :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. +JMJ+

    You can see a little bit of the adult Meg Murry-O'Keefe in her daughter Polly's stories--but she takes a back seat in them. While that's expected, it's also a little scandalous. It makes me sad to think that Polly doesn't know about her mother's adventures . . . especially since she belittles the achievements of her mother's that she does know about. =(

    I read somewhere that Madeleine L'Engle was working on a novel about the adult Meg before she died, but I can't find that old source and don't know if it's true. I hope it is, though, because I'd really like to see what she envisioned for her most memorable heroine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's odd, since Wrinkle is my fav book as a kid, but I've never read anything else by Madeleine L'Engle. I really must read the book about Polly. Thank you for the rec.

      Delete
  3. Ha! Sam I Am is such a great choice. :-) I love it! Great list! Thank you for stopping by my blog <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to know what Madeline is up too! Wrinkle in time is on my wish list :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww! Cute picks! Especially like the Madeline one! I read Stargirl soooo verrrrrry long ago. But I did note there was a second one. Not sure if it's our same Stargirl or if it went a different route.

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of great books, and a couple I haven't read yet. I'll make a note of them!

    Liberate Your Art has been a lot of fun and very liberating! Check out the blog hop next week (16-19 april) and join the swap next year. There's a Facebook group if you want to start swapping right away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your picks - especially Green Eggs and Ham. My that one got read a lot around our house. We had a Sam (or Samantha) that several family members called Sam-I-Am until she was a teenager. LOL

    And Miss Scarlett - what did happen to her - and Rhett - what about him? Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of checking in on Madeline! Surely she's running Paris by now. There was a romance novel that checked in on Scarlet that I can't remember what it was called but I don't think that was checking in on anything vaguely like the original Scarlet! My daughter loved Stargirl and read her copy to pieces but I've never read it. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your picks, yes Madeline would be a great one to check in on. And Scarlett, what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list! I love love love that you mentioned Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! Here's my TTT. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is great!! The Pigeon and Sam-I-Am...love it! Great list!

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah we do only have one book in common.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read any of these, although I've heard great things about most of them. I'll definitely have to check some of them out. Great list, and thanks for stopping by my TTT earlier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG!! Yes to Scarlett! I was just looking at my 75th anniversary edition of the Gone with the Wind movie. Have you read Scarlett? It's supposed to be the sequel, but it's not very well loved...

    Here are my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great list! Love Sam. it'd have to be food that rhymes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great list! I still have to get around to reading Gone with the Wind :3 Ooh, and yay for Madeline! Never thought about what she would be like as an adult...haha, she better be running Paris! =D

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sam I Am is a must! As is Meg from Wrinkle in Time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is the funnest list I've seen. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great list! Love your commentary ....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pretty sure Scarlett ends up with at least one more husband =) As for Meg, she marries Calvin, which is awesome, and becomes a stay-at-home mom, which is not. There's a series of books that follow their family, especially her eldest daughter Polyhymnia. (They have a LOT of kids).

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such great characters you picked, Deb, but my heart is with Sam-I-Am and Madeline :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stargirl is a great call. Did she manage to stay true to herself? I hope so. My children's book one was Charlie Bucket... did he get really fat on all that chocolate!!!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.