Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Bookish Resolutions

I love making lists of books I want to read during the upcoming year. I love adding books to my TBR. I love thinking about posts I might write on my book blog. I love to reorganize my book stacks according to what I want to read first. I love to decide on book challenges for the year.

But book resolutions?

I hereby resolve to make no bookish resolutions.

That is...

I will read what I want.

I will read when I want.

I reserve the right to give up on a book at any point, even if I am on the very last page.

I will not feel compelled to read any book a publisher may send to me or a friend may give to me.

I will read at will.







Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.

12 comments:

  1. These are just 'practically perfect'! Love them. And I aspire to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are the best kinds of resolutions of all! Totally on board with some of these, and I wish I could be totally on board with all of them, but I suspect that I will continue to give in and at least START reading many books that publishers send me simply because they’ve included a handwritten note.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course. It's the right thing to do. Goodness knows, we don't see much of that.

      Delete
  3. These are perfect. I no longer receive books from publishers, so I don't have that added pressure. I think the only thing I would add is to make more time to read and less time for social media.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to also make more time to read and less time for social media. Though I always want to continue to check out others' blogs.

      Delete
  4. I made a reading goal this year. But, just like you, I don't want to feel obligated to finish I book I don't like. So instead of having a goal of the number books read, my goal is about the number of pages I'm going to read. I'm going to read 100,000 pages in 1 year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! Very healthy attitude. I love it :)

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fantastic set of non-rules! I don't read nearly as much on a whim as I used to and I miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you! I've stopped taking books from publishers and dropped out of two book clubs because reading started to feel like work, and I want my reading to be what it's always been-my safe haven, my escape from reality, my source of challenge and inspiration. I have enough obligation in my life, I don't want reading to be one of them.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.