Sunday, February 25, 2018

Chúng tôi thăm Việt Nam (We Visit Vietnam)



WE VISIT VIETNAM

Last week we traveled in my school library to Vietnam. One of our first grade teachers, Ms. Diep, shared some Vietnamese clothing, Vietnamese decorative wooden plates, and Vietnamese red envelopes (for celebrating the Chinese New Year in Vietnam) with us. She also brought in some mums which are given, she told us, to people for good luck in Vietnam. I read my new favorite story, A Different Pond written by Bao Phi and illustrated by Thi Bui, to my classes; from PreK to second grade, they were mesmerized by the beautiful words and illustrations.



Next week will be Dr. Seuss' birthday in our school. Lots of Oh, The Places You Will Go and Cat in the Hat and (my favorite) Green Eggs and Ham. It's always a delightful week.




WHAT I'VE BEEN READING THIS WEEK


I've been reading steadily along in both Italian Folktales by Italo Calvino and Italian Days by Barbara Grizzuti Harrison. I'll probably continue to read them next week. They are both over 500 pages.




What are you reading today?




What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.

The Sunday Post is a meme hosted by Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news and recap the past week.

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at The Printed Page. We share books that we found in our mailboxes last week. 
 It is now being hosted here.


Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews in which you can share the books you've acquired.


It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!  This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from! I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is now being hosted at The Book Date.

21 comments:

  1. Your Vietnam week sounds wonderful. Great to let the kids know about a different culture. And Dr. Seuss week - fun, fun, fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - what a treat! To have a Vietnam week sounds like so much fun - it's the bit I miss about no longer teaching in a school. And as for Dr Seuss - oh heaven... Have a wonderful week, Deb:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a fun week! I am glad there is a teacher, teaching kids about other cultures out there. Have a wonderful week of reading!

    Mary #SundayRoundup #7

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that you enjoy your school activities so much! I hope Doctor Seuss week goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love traveling through books (and movies)! Enjoy the week, and thanks for sharing. I also love Dr. Seuss books.

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog, and I, too, find sports boring. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost can't admit that...gulp!...I find sports boring.

      Delete
  6. When I was in the classroom one of my students' favorite units was when I brought in all my Middle Eastern clothing, jewelry, etc. I love that you do the same in your library.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love adding your Italian books to my TBR pile. I think these will help me learn more about my husband's heritage and prepare for our 2021 trip to the "mother country" :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Vietnam and Dr. Seuss stuff looks like a lot of fun. Have a great week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always something fun happenin' at the library!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Horton Hatches the Egg has always been my favorite by Dr. Seuss. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where in the thick of Dr. Seuss week at my son's school. Tomorrow is Oh the Places You'll Go day where the kids where shirts from the college they want to go to or dress like what they want to be when they grow up. I know Fox in Socks day is coming up soon so I'm going to have to find some crazy socks! The Vietnam "trip" sounds fascinating. What a wonderful way for the kids to travel. Hopefully it will inspire them to visit other places that way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vietnamese culture, Dr.Seuss, Italian tales and history -- what a great selection of mental activities! "Your" kids are lucky.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. My kids have aged out of the Dr. Seuss week stuff. My weekly update

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Vietnam trip sounds so fun! I'm so jealous right now, I love traveling. I original thought your school had spirit week before I saw it was just celebrating Dr. Seuss's birthday XD.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Vietnam, I envy you! Thanks for sharing this with us. And thanks for stopping by my blog.

    Best wishes
    Vi @Inkvotary

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just finished The Distant Hours, all 500+ pages. It was amazingly well-written, beautiful, poetic descriptions and fine characterization. It had romance, mystery, family dynamics, madness, secrets, something for every taste. It kept me turning pages until it was done.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.