Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Want to Share a Little Love This Valentine's Day? Give a Child a Book


Want to share a little love this Valentine's Day? Give a book.

Here are some of my new favorites.


How to Say I Love You in Five Languages by Kenard Pak


We can make the world a happier place if we can speak to others. Could anything be better to know how to say in another language than these words:
I love you.
This little board book teaches children how to say I love you in five languages: English, French, Spanish, Japanese, and Mandarin Chinese. Not only are pronunciation guides included, but there is a lovely side panel where the child can press and hear how to say the words in each language. 







Hug Machine by Scott Campbell (Board Book Edition)


I'm a huge fan of Hug Machine and my fandom of Hug Machine has grown to incorporate  all the children at my school. Now, I'm happy to say, Hug Machine is a board book, and a whole new group of our youngest readers can hear this lovely story of a child who hugs everything he sees. 







When An Elephant Falls in Love by Davide Cali and Alice Lotti


Aw. We humans get a little silly when we fall in love. It's reassuring to know that elephants get downright ridiculous. Children will love the story and illustrations in When An Elephant Falls in Love. It's crazy funny.





I Am Loved by Nikki Giovanni and Ashley Bryan


Nikki Giovanni sings a song of love to the old, the young, the weary, and Ashley Bryan lights up the songs with his brilliantly colored text. I love I Am Loved. I especially love Giovanni's "No Heaven." And you can't miss (you MUST NOT MISS) "Do the Rosa Parks." Wonderful.






How Do You Say I Love You by Hannah Eliot and Shirley Ng-Benitez


I think we all know that we seem to be needing a few more words of love in this world these days. Happily, there is this new board book, How Do You Say I Love You by Hannah Eliot and Shirley Ng-Benitez. In gentle rhyme, the author and illustrator share ways to say I love you in Italy, Japan, Spain, Russia, Egypt, Brazil, Germany, France, India, and China. Let's all learn how to say these words wherever we are and to whoever we meet. Let's start with our young with this board book.






Colors of Love by Tina Gallo and Tony Neal


We love our Crayola crayons, with all of their amazing colors. What better way to illustrate our love than in all the colors of the crayon box? With people illustrated with all the colors of the box? A subtle lesson on the colors of love.






Click, Clack, Moo I Love You! by Doreen Cronin and Betsy Lewin


You are going to have to get your own copy of the latest Click, Clack, Moo to see the sparkle on every page. It's a glittery story of animals-on-the-farm and their huge barnyard dance for Valentine's Day. Even an unexpected guest ("Yip yip yip") won't tarnish this shiny event. Another wonderful Click, Clack, Moo story.






Take Heart, My Child by Ainsley Earhardt and Jaime Kim


Ainsley Earhardt and Jaime Kim combine their writing and illustrating talents to make a brilliant song of love for you to share with your child on Valentine's Day or any day. The words will delight you and the illustrations will dance for you. It's a beautiful book.




Have you read any of these? Any new wonderful children's books about love? Share with me in the comments.








Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.

11 comments:

  1. What collection of books for Valentines day. My favourite is the Hug Machine because we can all do with a hug

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great! I don't have any little ones to read to, but if I did, I'd be off to pick them up. Love that picture on the front of Hug Machine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat topic and these look so beautiful. My post is here: https://wordsandpeace.com/2018/02/13/top-ten-books-with-love-in-the-title/

    ReplyDelete
  4. These all look so wonderful it (almost) makes me want to have a small child again. I used to also read "I'll Love you Forever" to my daughter and teared up every time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this list! Thanks for sharing these great books. The love theme is perfect but I also love the diversity and culture aspect you included.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your list today! Excellent take on the theme.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your Top Ten Tuesday theme this week of giving a child a book and focusing on children's books.

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week:
    http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2018/02/top-ten-tuesday-ten-very-hot-steamy.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. May dis Valentine bless uz wid da cupid of love & warmth of romance.
    Happy Valentines Day my dear!
    Ryoma.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not read a single one! Where have I been?

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.