Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Authors I’d Love to Meet


I've met authors. In fact, I collect authors.

But I'd like to do more than simply see them on a stage somewhere. I'd like to go drink coffee with them. Visit a bookstore with them. Walk in the park with them. Talk books with them. Learn how to write from them.



Maira Kalman is the author of The Principles of Uncertainty, Ooh-la-la (Max in Love), and Looking at Lincoln.
I met her briefly at the Texas Book Festival.



Richard Powers is the author of The Gold Bug Variations and The Overstory.
He is coming to Houston next spring.



Haruki Murakami is the author of The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, IQ84, and Kafka on the Shore.
I have never met Murakami; I have never heard him speak.



Mo Willems is the author of Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus as well as the Elephant & Piggie series.
I have met Mo three times, one of which was at BookExpo where this photo was taken.
I never take my picture with authors, but I just couldn't help myself this time.



Amy Krouse Rosenthal is the author of Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life, Duck! Rabbit!, and Yes Day.
I have met Amy twice. This photo was taken at BookExpo in Chicago in 2016.
She passed away from ovarian cancer in 2017.




Kate DiCamillo is the author of Because of Winn-Dixie, Tale of Despereaux, as well as the author of the Bink & Golly and Mercy Watson series.
I heard Kate speak at the Texas Book Festival some years ago.
In this little video, she shares how she became an author.



Anne Lamott is the author of Bird by Bird, Operating Instructions, and Traveling Mercies.
Anne came to Houston several years ago and she will return to Houston later this month.



E. B. White is the author of One Man's Meat, Here is New York, and Charlotte's Web.
He passed away in 1985.



Basho is considered the greatest master of haiku.
He passed away in 1694.



Jason Reynolds is the author of Ghost and Long Way Down.
He is coming to Houston in November. 




Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.

6 comments:

  1. Oh nice! Lots of new to me ones here!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to meet Murakami too. King, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is fun to meet authors isn't it? I've certainly met a few these last few years, some of them were major favorites of mine. I've enjoyed telling them how much I loved and appreciated their books. I don't think they can hear that enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jason Reynolds would be super interesting to talk to! EB White is the only author I have ever written to and I did it as a kid. I got a newsletter back and remember feeling so disappointed. Of course, as an adult I know they don't write personal letters back. Especially in the 1970s

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terry Pratchett but no chance of that now

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would be great to have the opportunity to meet Jason Reynolds. :)

    Check out my TTT, my book bingo update, and my FraterFest Readathon TBR

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.