Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Backlist Books I Want to Read

I'm actually more of a backlist reader than I am a new book reader; I like books that have proved themselves over time.

Here are some of the backlist books I'm very interested in reading. These are all books that have been moved from the Kinda-Want-to-Read stacks in the bedroom to Wanna-Read stacks in the closet to the Gonna-Read-Soon stacks that lie next to my bed.



The Night Circus

Salt to the Sea

Edith Hamilton's Mythology

Jon Kabat-Zinn's Wherever You Go, There You Are

Don Quixote

The Gates of the Alamo by Stephen Harrigan

The Night Lives On by Walter Lord (Titanic sequel)

The Desert Fathers: Sayings of the Early Christian Monks

A View of the Harbor by Elizabeth Taylor

Jane Gardam's Queen of the Tambourine


That's not even including all the YA fantasy novels I haven't read yet...City of Bones...Cinder...The Elite...Before I Fall...or the Classics Club books....




Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.

12 comments:

  1. Edith Hamilton's mythology is not one students will pick up anymore. I find my students are not as keen on older titles- and to them, "old" is 2005, because that's when they were born!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that fascinating. I wonder whether it is because the vocabulary is outside their zones of familiarity or whether it is the content.

      I have been trying to read classics I've missed or that I want to reread. In almost every case, the book has been far superior to anything I pick up off the new books shelf at the library.

      Delete
  2. Nice ones! I think I read Edith Hamilton's Mythology many years ago! I can't really remember it all that well, but I knew I wanted a book with Greek myths and that one fit the bill!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Edith Hamilton's Mythology long ago, when I was in college. I remember it being a great book.

      Delete
  3. I hated The Night Circus, contrary to everyone else. The Desert Fathers: they are the one ultimately responsible for having me become Christian Orthodox. Amazing wisdom and such knowledge of human psychology, in the very early centuries of the Church. It's the type of book (and the format leads to it), that you just read a little paragraph every day, and you keep a gem from it for each day.
    My post is here: https://wordsandpeace.com/2018/11/06/top-ten-backlist-books-i-want-to-read/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty sure I read Edith Hamilton in high school. I love Salt to the Sea and am currently reading it aloud to one of my classes. The Global Read Aloud selection is Refugee, but I have two beginning English speakers in my class, so we agreed to find a book with similar themes that I could track down in Spanish. Amazingly, they both have multiple narrators, so we're even getting that experience as well. And I've never heard of Queen of the Tambourine, but now I've added it to my to-read list as well. (Sigh.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only one I've read on your list is Salt to the Sea and I thought it was really good. The NIght Circus is one I keep meaning to read and somehow don't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any of these either though I have read City of Bones. And I've meant to read The Gates of the Alamo. One day...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Night Circus is one that's been on my TBR for far too long. My library has it in audio so I really have no excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your various stacks sound much like my own! Once they reach the top of my nightstand, there's hope! ;) I loved The Night Circus, which I listened to on audio. It was was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Night Circus is an amazing read. I think it's time for a reread soon. I love your different locations for your TBR ๐Ÿ˜

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.