Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Audiobooks You May Have Missed

I have always loved audiobooks for long car trips.

But for around the house? I have never listened to audiobooks at home. 

Until I retired.

And now I listen to them every day.

Let me share some you may have missed.



Across the Nightingale Floor: Tales of the Otori, Book One Excellent Women The Owl Service
Across the Nightingale Floor is a 1001 Children's Book that takes place in ancient Japan. There are many assassins. One large Japanese castle has installed a "nightingale floor," which sings like a nightingale if an assassin tries to sneak across it. 

Excellent Women was my favorite read last year. It's the story of an older single woman trying to make her way in 1950's England.

It was great fun to listen to the Welsh accents of the characters in 1001 Children's Book, The Owl Service. It can be very difficult to find copies of the 1001 Children's Books. I was never able to find Owl Service in book form, but I was delighted to find it available as an audiobook.

Persuasion Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog)

Classics are wonderful choices for audiobooks. There is something very nice about having a classic read to you. I read all of Jane Austen's oeuvre last year, and I enjoyed listening to a couple of them, including Persuasion.

I read (literally) Big Magic a long time ago, but I decided to listen to an audiobook of Big Magic as NaNoWriMo approached last November. I loved it. I liked it as a book, but I loved it as an audiobook.

My husband and I loved listening to Three Men in a Boat last summer when we took a road trip. It's a fun experience to listen together to a comedy about three men taking a trip down the Thames.

The Amulet of Samarkand: The Bartimaeus Trilogy, Book 1 Dragonsong: Harper Hall Trilogy, Volume 1 Wolf Brother: Chronicles of Ancient Darkness #1

Two summers ago, we took a long trip to Chicago to visit our son and daughter-in-law. We listened to an amazing five audiobooks on the trip: Wolf Brother, The Amulet of Samarkand, Dragonsong, The Pigman, and The Book of Three, all of which are 1001 Children's Books. That was almost 37 hours of stories.

North and South

I'm listening to North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell now. It is over 18 hours, and it will definitely be my longest ever audiobook. But it is a fabulous story. It may be my best book of 2019.









Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.

26 comments:

  1. I can’t do Audiobooks, it just takes so long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only heard one book and that was the worst witch which I lisened to when I was in a van off on an installation somewhere, at home I prefer to read a book or Kindle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! North and South was on my list of favorites the year I did a read/listen combination... such a great story. I'm planning another Gaskell this year for the Back to the Classics challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would hope you will let us know which one you choose. I plan to read another.

      Delete
  4. I just listened to Pride and Prejudice this year I will have to add Persuasion to my list too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something very helpful to listening to a classic as an audiobook.

      Delete
  5. I am not an audiobook person because my mind tends to stray and I miss out on major chunks of the book. I am much better with the printed word.

    ReplyDelete
  6. North and South does sound like an interesting audiobook. I've never actually read that classic.

    My Top Ten Tuesday post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love audio books! This is a great list and has inspired me to do a write-up of some of my favorites. Isn't it interesting how one book can be just a ho-hum read in print and an outstanding read on audio?. It's such a different experience, but it's still "reading." One of my favorite chunksters on audio was Pillars of the Earth. I can still picture so many scenes from that book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo, great list!! I am an avid audiobook listener and almost enjoy listening to audiobooks more than reading books.

    Here's a link to my TTT post: https://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2019/03/top-ten-tuesday-audiobook-freebie-my.html?showComment=1553617757328#c4963295880076597634

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adding EXCELLENT WOMEN to my TBR, thank you. I love listening to audiobooks, too, but actually listen less now that I am retired since I don't commute anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have actually been wanting to read North and South for ages now. I'm glad to hear the audio is good. I may go that route when I finally get around to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too enjoyed The Amulet of Samarkand. I need to finish up the series though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I’ve never considered listening to classics on audio before but I bet it’s a wonderful experience. I should check my Overdrive app for any Austen titles.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm totally curious over a lot of these! This weeks topic is definitely getting me hyped to dive into audiobooks again and hopefully find something I enjoy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't listen much at home and have a very short commute to work, but I get to listen while at work all day. It's the best! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember reading Across The Nightingale Floor and falling in love with that story! I immediately bought the rest of the trilogy. It's been over 10 years and they're still on my bookshelf even though I've never re-read them. Listening to them on audio would be fun. :)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.