Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Books That Need a (Good) Sequel

Many of my favorite books have sequels. I just don't like the sequels that some of my favorite books have.


So let's start with two books that I love that have awful sequels:





Gone With the Wind
To Kill a Mockingbird




Now on to some that have so-so sequels. Could I please have a good sequel? A do-over, please.






A Wrinkle in Time
Mrs. Bridge
Little House on the Prairie
Watership Down
Stargirl
Ender's Game




And so you don't think I'm a hopeless grump, here are a few that have wonderful sequels:






The Giver
The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett
Harry Potter
Gilead
Hank the Cowdog: The Case of the One-Eyed Killer Stud Horse
The Lightning Thief
Frog and Toad are Friends
Ghost by Jason Reynolds
Elephant and Piggie: Today I Will Fly






Agree? Disagree? Share your thoughts!



Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.

26 comments:

  1. I do agree for the ones I've read - certainly Harry Potter and The Lightning Thief. And I completely agree that the sequel (written by someone else) to Gone With The Wind - no, no, no. I think I was saying that so many years ago when I was trying to read it. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What were the Gone With the Wind people thinking? I'd rather have no sequel than a bad sequel.

      Delete
  2. For sure with Gone with the Wind and To Kill a Mockingbird but I think it's too late for both. I don't like it when someone else tries to continue an author's story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The movie, Mr. and Mrs. Bridge with Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward was superb. I can't deal with another attempt at a sequel to GWTW--the others were that awful! Esp the never-should-have-been-published Scarlett. (GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA)
    Good choices and I like that you had a different take on the topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. Bridge is equally superb, though I find Mr. Bridge to be less so.

      Delete
  4. I do love the Harry Potter and Percy Jackson sequels!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2019/03/12/top-ten-tuesday-202/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know Watership Down had a sequel. Interesting!

    My Top Ten Tuesday post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny, some sequels are so wonderful (think Harry Potter) and some just don't cut it and they make me mad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. With me, it is more like that they don't cut it and make me mad.

      Delete
  7. Have you read the entire LITTLE HOUSE series? It doesn't begin with LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE. The first book is LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS. Then there are more, both before and after LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE. They're all excellent, including the last in the series, THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. I just like the Prairie best. The others are okay; I just love Prairie, though.

      Delete
  8. Gilead is on my reading list. What is the sequel? M. Robinson can sure write.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't even try to read the sequel for Gone with the wind because I knew I would hate it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I might be in the minority here, but I liked Scarlett when I read it back in the days, but I really hate sequels written by different authors, the voice of the authors are so different.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like what you did with this week's topic. I did like the Little House on the Prairie set though. Ender's Game had a ton of sequels that I only recently learned about. Maybe too many.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved The Giver and am happy to learn that the sequel is worthwhile!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This gets me thinking - yes there are some lackluster sequels! Which is always so disappointing.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.