Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Paris + Food: A Love Story



Paris. I love to read about Paris.

Food. I love to read about food.

Put them together? Blissful.

I just finished reading two wonderful Paris + Food books, Mastering the Art of French Eating: Lessons in Food and Love from a Year in Paris, and A Bite-Sized History of France: Delicious, Gastronomic Tales of Revolution, War, and Enlightenment. 

I began to wonder. How many Paris + Food books are there?

Answer? More than I thought. 

Here's the complete list of Paris + Food books I've read/I'm reading:



PARIS + FOOD: CHILDREN'S BOOKS

Crepes by Suzette (Children's Book)
Minette’s Feast: The Delicious Story of Julia Child and Her Cat (Children's Book)
Bon Appetit! The Delicious Life of Julia Child (Children's Book)
Bon Appetit, Bertie! (Children's Book)
Madame Pamplemousse and Her Incredible Edibles (Children's Book)



PARIS + FOOD: MEMOIRS



Bonjour Kale: A Memoir of Paris, Love, and Recipes (Memoir)
Between Meals: An Appetite for Paris (Memoir)
Paris by Pastry: Stalking the Sweet Life on the Streets of Paris (Memoir)
The Table Comes First: Family, France, and the Meaning of Food (Memoir)
Lunch in Paris: A Love Story, with Recipes (Memoir)
The Sweet Life in Paris: Delicious Adventures in the World’s Most Glorious—-and Perplexing—-City (Memoir)
Serve It Forth (Memoir)
Immoveable Feast: A Paris Christmas (Memoir)
Mastering the Art of French Eating: Lessons in Food and Love from a Year in Paris (Memoir)
A Moveable Feast (Memoir)




PARIS + FOOD: CHALLENGES


The Perfect Meal: In Search of the Lost Tastes of France (Challenge)
A Meal Observed (Challenge)
Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen (Challenge)




PARIS + FOOD: NOVELS


The Waitress Was New (Novel)
Vintage 1954 (Novel)
Love à la Mode (YA Fiction)




PARIS + FOOD: SELF-HELP

French Women Don’t Get Fat: The Secret of Eating for Pleasure (Self-Help)




PARIS + FOOD: HISTORY

A Bite-Sized History of France: Delicious, Gastronomic Tales of Revolution, War, and Enlightenment (History)




PARIS + FOOD: COOKBOOKS

The Cook's Atelier: Recipes, Techniques, and Stories from Our French Cooking School (Cookbook)
The Paris Cookbook (Cookbook)
The Little Paris Kitchen (Cookbook)
Paris Sweets (Cookbook)








I'm sure I left titles off. What should I add? 






Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.

Saturday Snapshot is hosted by West Metro Mommy ReadsTo participate in Saturday Snapshot: post a photo that you (or a friend or family member) have taken and then leave a direct link to your post in the Mister Linky at West Metro Mommy Reads.


Please join the weekly meme at An Accidental Blog. Share with the rest of us your passion for France. Did you read a good book set in France? See a movie? Take a photo in France? Have an adventure? Eat a fabulous meal or even just a pastry? Or if you're in France now, go ahead and lord it over the rest of us. We can take it.

Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads and is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. You do not have to post on the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.


Il est Juillet et il est temps pour le merveilleux Paris in July hosted by Thyme for Tea! (*It is July and it is time for the wonderful Paris in July!)




22 comments:

  1. I'm with you on Paris + food books! Thanks for the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I never would have guessed there were so many books about food set in Paris. Neat!

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Life in France by Julia Child On Rue Tatin: Living and Cooking in a French Town
    by Susan Herrmann Loomis Chocolat by Joanne Harris [fiction][Not Paris, but....]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That's a lot of Paris and food; it should keep you happy for quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but I'm always on the lookout for more, more, more.

      Delete
  5. Well, I love food but I've never been to Paris to either love it or hate it! It's on my places to visit list so one day I'll have an answer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so right — there are many many books about food in Paris. I’m fascinated that only one of your long list is actually written by a French person and translated — A BIte-Sized History of France. All the others, I believe, are by Americans or other non-French speakers of English. Last year for Paris in July I tried hard to find more books written by French authors. It’s really quite a different point of view.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gourmet Rhapsody By Muriel Barber would be another..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paris + Food + Travel - my latest book is a French couple who emigrated to Australia and started up cafes and restaurants in Melbourne.

    Lots of titles to be tempted by in this list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read a few years ago a work by Muriel Barberry, author of The Elegance of The Hedgehog that fits in well here

    Gourmet Rhapsody by Muriel Barberry  as I knew I had found a book I was probably going to love.    Gourmet Rhapsody,  published in 2000 (before her marvelous The Elegance of the Hedgehog) but not translated until 2009 is about the world's leading food and restaurant critic.   He lives  in the  apartment house made famous in The Elegance of the Hedgehog.   He is on his deathbed and he is probing all his conscious memories to discover the one supreme gastronomic experience of his life.

    The story unfolds in short sections.   We hear not only from the critic but from his grown children, his long suffering but still in love wife, his grandchildren and even his cat.  All the  speakers have their own voice.    We learn why every one hates Pierre Arthens, the critic, and we do not much like him either.   We get a feel for what it would be like to be the world's most highly regarded food critic.   Most of all in the book we are drawn into Pierre's experience of foods.   His descriptive powers are awesome.   We can see why a good word from him would make
    a restaurant or an article send everyone to the market  looking for the ingredients required for a vain attempt to recreate a meal he describes.


    Here is how Pierre sees himself.   "When I took possession of the table, it was as supreme 
    monarch....I am the greatest food critic in the world".


    I will share with you a few of my favorite lines from Pierre's food descriptions.


    "Early man, in learning to cook fish, must have felt his humanity for the first time.....Meat is virile, powerful, fish is strange and cruel....The Raw Tomato,devoured in the garden when freshly picked, is a horn of abundance of simple sensations, a radiating rush  in one's mouth that bring with it every pleasure...slicing into raw fish is like cutting into stone. "     

    ReplyDelete
  10. Paris and Food is like a match made in heaven and it's making my travek bug go wild thinking of all the delicious cuisines I could be eating in Paris right now.

    - Lois @ My Midnight Musing

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have done a great job, compiling this list. I believe as lot of people will appreciate if!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know what to do with myself right now because this list (as always) is fantastic. Like, do I want to eat? Read? Travel to Paris? Eat while reading about Paris? YES? NO? (In all seriousness, I love this and I'm definitely swooning and my stomach is probably growling a bit.)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.