Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Wonderful French Book Characters

How many of these wonderful French book characters do you know? Who have I left off my list?



Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans




Cinderella (Perrault)




Madame Bovary




Belle and the Beast in Beauty and the Beast




Candide




Erik in The Phantom of the Opera




Le Petit Nicolas




Le Petit Prince (The Little Prince)





Otto Lidenbrock in Journey to the Center of the Earth




Athos, Porthos, and Aramis in The Three Musketeers




Jean Valjean in Les Miserables



I haven't read yet but want to meet the Count of Monte Cristo, Arsène Lupin, Magritte, Marcel of Swann's Way.




Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.


Please join the weekly meme at An Accidental Blog. Share with the rest of us your passion for France. Did you read a good book set in France? See a movie? Take a photo in France? Have an adventure? Eat a fabulous meal or even just a pastry? Or if you're in France now, go ahead and lord it over the rest of us. We can take it.

Il est Juillet et il est temps pour le merveilleux Paris in July hosted by Thyme for Tea! (*It is July and it is time for the wonderful Paris in July!)

13 comments:

  1. Nice topic! Belle and Madeline are the only ones I really know!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madeline and Jean Valjean are tow favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Madeline! Babar is a favorite too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool way to look at French literature (and a few non-French French people). I have read most of them, missing a few.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your take on today's topic. I've not read any of these but am of course curious about Belle. Why does the Beast on that cover look like an otter? Or is it just me?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for preparing this comprehensive list, Deb, and an interesting topic for a Paris in July post. As for French book characters, I quite like the concierge Renee Michel in the book The Elegance of the Hedgehog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Belle and Madeline were two of my favorite characters growing up <3 I'm so glad you included it.

    Thanks also so much for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Madeline!

    Have I told you before about my high school principal legally changing his name from Jean Dutro (I think) to Jean Valjean?

    City of Darkness, City of Light by Marge Piercy and Tale of Two Cities are two old favorites of mine set in Paris. Lots of great characters in those!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great list. Jean Valjean is probably my favorite French book character, but I love several others on your list too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've actually heard of about half of these. Go me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have not heard of Madeleine and Le petit Nicolas, but the rest I have heard of, even if I don't know a lot about some of them. I did not know that Cinderella was 'French'. This is just one of those characters you know, but you don't really know the origin. Now I know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some really good ones listed here. A funny side-note. When I was a senior in high school, 1962-1963, I had to use Madame Bovary for a literary project on Flaubert for Senior English. I went to our school library to check it out, and it was kept on a shelf BEHIND the circulation desk, and a note from my teacher was required for me to get it. MY, how times have changed!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.