Thursday, March 5, 2020

Favorite Books I Read Published in the Last Ten Years





Thank you, Anne of Head Full of Books, for suggesting this list of our favorite books published in the last ten years. 



Best Adult Fiction Book of 2019: Henry, Himself by Stewart O'Nan
Best Adult Nonfiction Book of 2019: The Only Plane in the Sky by Garrett M. Graff
Best Children's/YA Book of 2019: The Undefeated written by Kwame Alexander and illustrated by Kadir Nelson





Best Adult Fiction Book of 2018: The Overstory by Richard Powers
Best Adult Nonfiction Book of 2018: The Library Book by Susan Orlean
Best Children's/YA Book of 2018: The Rabbit Listened by Cori Doerrfeld





Best Adult Fiction Books of 2017: The Heart's Invisible Furies by 
Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders
Best Adult Nonfiction Book of 2017: American Wolf by 
Best Children's/YA Book of 2017: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas





Best Adult Fiction Book of 2016: A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
Best Adult Nonfiction Book of 2016: Lab Girl by 
Best Children's/YA Book of 2016:  Some Writer: The Story of E. B. White written and illustrated by Melissa Sweet





Best Adult Fiction Book of 2015:  The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
Best Adult Nonfiction Book of 2015: The Hidden Life of Trees by Peter Wohlleben
Best Children's/YA Book of 2015: Mango, Abuela, and Me written by Meg Medina and illustrated by Angela Dominguez





Best Adult Fiction Book of 2014: All the Light I Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
Best Adult Nonfiction Book of 2014: Being Mortal by Atul Gawande
Best Children's Book of 2014:  The Farmer and the Clown written and illustrated by Marla Frazee




 

Best Adult Fiction Book of 2013:  The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
Best Adult Nonfiction Book of 2013: Five Days at Memorial by Sheri Fink
Best Children's/YA Book of 2013: Mr. Tiger Goes Wild written and illustrated by Peter Brown





Best Adult Fiction Book of 2012:  A Man Called Ove by Fredrik 
Best Adult Nonfiction Book of 2012: Quiet by Susan Cain
Best Children's/YA Book of 2012: Wonder written by R. J. Palacio
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell





Best Adult Fiction Book of 2011:  The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
Best Adult Nonfiction Book of 2011: In the Garden of the Beasts by Erik Larson
Best Children's/YA Book of 2011: I Want My Hat Back 
written and illustrated by Jon Klassen





Best Adult Fiction Book of 2010:  Room by Emma Donoghue
Best Adult Nonfiction Book of 2010: Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption written by Laura Hillenbrand
Best Children's/YA Book of 2010: Bink & Gollie written by Kate DiCamillo and Allison McGee and illustrated by Tony Fucile




For a more detailed list of my favorite reads of the decade, take a look at my Best Books of the Decade.




Other favorite book lists:


Best Books I Read in 2019

Best Books I Read in 2018

My Favorite Books of 2017: 53 Books You Must Read Now












Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.

26 comments:

  1. I've only read 11 of the titles you listed. I've got a lot of reading to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised, Kathy. We tend to read and like a lot of the same books. I bet your list like this would include books I haven't read but that I would love.

      Delete
  2. I've read and enjoyed 11 from your list. I am going to give Overstory another try, I think it was bad timing last year when I tried it. The Library Book is one our book group will read in a few months. Great List Deb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The books you like, Diane, are usually books I like. I'm usually not a person who likes very long books like the Overstory. But I make an exception for Richard Powers. And The Library Book is wonderfully complex and beautifully researched.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read those but it looks like you found a lot of books that you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for sharing so many books that you enjoyed. i haven't read any of them
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fortunately this list only goes back ten years because I added so many books to my TBR from it. You and I have have very similar reading tastes so I trust if you like a book, I will, too. With one exception: Room. Ugh, that book was a hard read. I listened to audio version. I wonder if that was the reason I didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Room was an extremely difficult book for me to read.

      Delete
  6. I've read and loved 15 on your list. Now I'm moving some of your recommendations to a "must reads" stack. Fun post! Just looked over it again and noticed that I've read all the fiction books with the exception of The Overstory. Definitely need to read that one this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I have extremely similar reading likes and dislikes.

      Delete
  7. Oh boy, seeing lists like this make me smile and have "book memories" zapping to the front of my brain. What a great feeling. A number of your favorites are mine as well: Nightingale, Wonder, Room, Unbroken, Being Mortal, and the Hate You Give. I have The Only Plane in the Sky on my TBR shelf so this is an excellent recommendation if it's as good as these others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list, of course! I've read 14 of these. The only nonfiction from here I've read are The Library Book and Lab Girl, and all of the others have been on my TBR since they came out. I love this kind of nonfiction, but I rarely make the time for it. I have tried to track down The Overstory several times in the past year, since so many people loved it, but the holds line is still too long at the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Overstory is a very long book. I can see why the holds line is still long.

      Delete
  9. Great list! I really need to get to The Overstory.
    In January, I tried to choose my favoites of the whole decade for each of my categories: https://wordsandpeace.com/2020/01/09/decade-of-reading-2010-2019-my-top-12/

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great list. Several of them would be on my own list of favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always forget that The Night Circus is adult and not YA. I've never read the book so that's probably why I tend to forget. I've only read The Hate U Give and Wonder from everything that's on this list and well, I agree with you. Those two tugged at my heartstrings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great list! My son is finishing up Wonder with his 3rd grade class now. I loved quite a few on your list, but I'll always have the softest spot for Ove :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Read and loved so many of these! Rae

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've decided to do the Action for Happiness calendar this month. Definitely seem to be in need of daily reminders. Looks like you found your way to several good books on aphorisms. I have Hoda Kotb's book on my list but the others are new to me. I love the idea of watching the Star Wars movies in sequence. I'm not a huge fan (I'm more a Trekkie) but I'm interested enough to make sense of the many different plots.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoyed: The Library Book/The Goldfinch/Wonder/A Man Called One (both the book and the movie with subtitles)/The Hate U Give (bought and gave away 2 copies/watching movie this a.m.)/A Gentleman in Moscow (my favorite the year it was published. Bought 1 hardcopy 1 paperback, gave them away)/Lab Girl (thanks for giving me a copy)/Unbroken/The Night Circus/The Nightengale (bought hard copy and gave it away)/Some Writer (my favorite children's biography)/All the Light We Cannot See/
    Have waiting on my TBR shelf:
    In the Garden of the Beast/The Hearts Internal Furies (tell me if I will like this one.)
    GREAT post, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, that is a great variety of books. I don't know about most of them, but agree with you of the ones I have read, that is: A Gentleman in Moscow (I will say it is the best books I have ever read!), All the Light We Cannot See, an absolutely wonderful novel. I have read A Man Called Ove and liked it very much. The best book of the year I am not sure. I have Goldfinch, but have not read. I loved her The Secret History. Have heard good things of Kristin Hannah and wanted to read Eric Larson for a long time. I don't know why I don't come around to read his books. Maybe this will be the year.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.