Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.
Tuesday, November 24, 2020
Thankful: The Bookish Edition
It's hard to be thankful this year. Every day we've seen shameful things---lies, corruption, cruelty, hatred---coming from our country's leaders. Every day we've seen people sick with this virus and dying while others brazenly go about their business, life as normal, ignoring the best advice available from medical personnel. I was shocked to see a person I call a friend write on FB: "I'm not canceling my Thanksgiving plans."
It's enough to make us all deeply disheartened. Weary. Bleak, even.
I refuse to do that.
I'm going to continue to push on, to work for the good, to do what is right, stumbling as we all do from time to time, but getting right back up and being thankful for all we enjoy.
What bookish things am I thankful for this year?
(1) I got to attend the Edinburgh Book Festival and the National Book Festival for the first (and probably the last) time.
(2) I've read more books this year---currently 665 books---than I ever have before in my life.
(3) I've read some amazing books this year; I'll be revealing my favorites at the end of this year.
(4) I've discovered the delights of e-books when my library closed in March.
(5) I found it was an excellent idea to have an enormous TBR here at home when my library closed.
(6) My library reopened, offering curbside service.
(7) I began to purposefully buy books from independent bookstores rather than Amazon.
(8) I love the many Zoom author readings and talks.
(9) This year will soon be at an end, and I am thankful for that.
(10) I've relied on my blogging friends this year more than ever before for good book suggestions and general moral support. Thank you all so much!