Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Books I'd Read If I Was Stranded in Paris




Stranded in Paris? (Let's set aside the question of whether one could actually be stranded in Paris.) If I were stranded in Paris, I'd surround myself with some great books. I know exactly what I'd choose...I'd want to read the great French books, of course.


Some books would be rereads...

Les Misérables by Victor Hugo

The Three Musketeers 

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (I've read it in English, Spanish, French, and Italian so far.)


Others would be books I've wanted to read but haven't yet...

The Red and the Black by Stendhal

Dangerous Liaisons by Choderos de Laclos

The Misanthrope by Molière
In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust (7 volumes; I've only read one)
Honoré de Balzac's The Human Comedy (91 finished works; that would probably last me)
The Stranger by Albert Camus (I read a graphic novel of this book)
Being and Nothingness by Jean-Paul Sartre
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

Have you read any of these? Are any of these on your bucket list? Do you have any to add? To strike?



Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.

35 comments:

  1. Great choice of books. But would I really read that much if I were in Paris? LOL. I know I would. I always take dozens of books, no matter where we go.

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I'm not sure if it would be "stranded" in Paris, but I'd be willing to give it a shot. ;-) Reading while at a cafe sounds lovely.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to imagine what being stranded in Paris would look like, I think.

      Delete
  3. I don't think I'd get much reading done in Paris (though I'd take the books along, of course...)

    Red & Black and Monte Cristo are both pretty great, I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I'd get much reading done if I were "stranded" in Paris... Great picks!

    Here's my list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read The Little Prince several years, but none of the others. The Three Musketeers would be a fun read, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I could very happily be 'stranded' in Paris. Fun choices for this week's TTT! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would certainly be better than be stranded on a desert island.

      Delete
  7. I would quite happily be stranded in Paris! I've not read any of these, but I have read some fun YA books set in Paris.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2021/07/27/top-ten-tuesday-326/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice twist to keep your Paris theme going Deb. I have read none of these, but have watched a few of the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your take on this! I knew someone who was almost stranded in Paris at the beginning of Covid back in March of 2020. Flights were being cancelled left and right and they weren't sure they'd be able to make it home. I really want to read Count of Monte Cristo. It's been on my TBR for ages!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your choice of books.

    I don't think I would do any reading if I were in Paris though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paris would be a good place to be stuck, wouldn't it? Love of the titles you've picked though I doubt much reading would take place. Happy reading. My TTT https://readwithstefani.com/ten-books-i-want-to-read-by-the-end-of-2021/

    ReplyDelete
  12. If I was stranded in Paris I am not sure I'd be reading. Unless I was stranded in a hotel or on a bus or something. I have never read The Little Prince and my daughter and I were support to read Les Misérables together and then watch the movie or show but she is not a reader and just looking at it psyched her out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've only read the Little Prince -- and maybe The Stranger in my theatre history classes 50 years ago -- who can remember! It's an ambitious list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welp, I've only read The Little Prince. Ha! Some day I'd like to tackle Les Mis, though. Great twist this week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your twist on the topic this week—and that you included The Misanthrope! I had to read so much Molière in college and he quickly became one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely list! Though, if I were stranded in Paris, I would be at the Louvre staring at the only existing object known to have belonged to Eleanor of Aquitaine - the rock crystal vase she gave to her first husband, who gifted it to Abbot Suger for St Denis *Sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  17. Neat! I recommend you read the 7 volumes of In Search of Lost Time. The last two are so good, but more valuable if you've read the others

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've read all of these but the Molliere, Proust, and Sarte. Do I need to add them to my TBR?

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.