Saturday, July 24, 2021

Livres Français, Films Français, Cuisine Française

  


It's the last week of Paris in July, and my houseguests have headed off to their new home, so I'm trying to read as fast as I can to squeeze in every drop of Paris I can. 

Last week I finished five books, including the Chocolat sequel, set in Paris; Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's Wind, Sand and Stars; my second Émile Zola novel, good, but not quite as good as my first Zola I read last year; Henry James' travel book from 1884, A Little Tour of France; and Muriel Barbery's novella, Gourmet Rhapsody. 

I hope to read this week three picture books in French; a travel guide, Secret Paris; a book of childhood memories of food and France, Paris to Provence; a memoir of a food critic in Paris; and rereads of two favorite picture books, Crêpes by Suzette and 750 Years in Paris.




What I Read Last Week:

The Lollipop Shoes by Joanne Harris (Sequel to Chocolat) ⭐⭐⭐
Gourmet Rhapsody by Muriel Barbery ⭐⭐⭐
A Little Tour in France by Henry James ⭐⭐⭐
Wind, Sand and Stars by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry ⭐⭐⭐
The Belly of Paris by Émile Zola ⭐⭐⭐





What I'm Reading Now:

Marlaguette by Marie Colmont (Picture Book, in French)
Bonsoir Lune by Margaret Wise Brown (Picture Book, in French)
La Vache Orange by Nathan Hale (Picture Book, in French)
Crêpes by Suzette by Monica Wellington (Picture Book)
A Hundred Million Francs by Paul Berna (1001 Children's Book)
My Place at the Table: A Recipe for a Delicious Life in Paris by Alexander Lobrano
Secret Paris: Local Guides by Local People (Guidebook)
Paris to Provence: Childhood Memories of Food and France by Ethel Brennan 









Paris in July Last Week:


We finally got around to taking in some French movies last week. We watched Gentlemen Prefer Blondes set (partially) in Paris. It was my first movie with Marilyn Monroe, and I couldn't help feeling that she was both mesmerizingly beautiful and achingly comedic, though the movie is an awful picture of the aspirations of women of the 50s.

We also watched Un Dimanche à la Campagne (A Sunday in the Country); Monsieur and Mademoiselle Adelman; and Jules and JimUn Dimanche à la Campagne is the story of the visits of a son and a daughter with their elderly father on a Sunday afternoon in the French countryside. It's poignant and thoughtful, and it was my favorite movie we viewed this month. Monsieur and Mademoiselle Adelman is the story of a marriage of forty-five years, and it manages to be both a bit of a drama and a comedy. Jules and Jim is the story of two friends who both love the same woman, and it epitomizes the free love ideas of the 60s, though it should have been seen as a cautionary tale. 


For Wordless Wednesday, I focused on the French phrase "Coup de Foudre," a lightning-bolt moment, here.

And I reflected on the French idea of books as an essential good here.


 Paris in July from Previous Weeks:

I reviewed Confessions of a French Breadmaker and tried one of the recipes from the book for Walnut and Red Wine Yeast Bread here.

I tweaked the Top Ten Tuesday post to note ??? Book Titles ??? That Are Classically French.

I shared my favorite modern art from Centre Pompidou: Modern Art at Centre Pompidou in Paris. Did you know "modern art" doesn't really mean modern art? I did not.

I listed my favorite French-ish books and tried to figure out why I love these books so much: Why I Love French-ish Books (And Why You Should Love Them, Too!)

I packed for Paris in July here.










Good Thing #1


We enjoyed Beef Bourguinon last week.
I used the Barefoot Contessa's recipe


Good Thing #2



Good Thing #3


I visited my favorite Paris museum, Musée d’Orsay, last week via Google Arts & Culture.







I'm happy you found your way to the Sunday Salon. Sunday Salon is a place for us to link up and to share what we have been doing during the week. It's a great way to visit other blogs and join in the conversations going on there. 

Some of the things we often talk about at the Sunday Salon:

  • What was your week like?
  • Read any good books? Tell us about them.
  • What other bookish things did you do? 
  • What else is going on in your life?

Other places where you may like to link up over the weekend are below. Click on the picture to visit the site.

        

My linkup for Sunday Salon is below. 

66 comments:

  1. I didn't realize Gentlemen Prefer Blondes had a Paris setting. I would love to watch more of Marilyn's movies if I could find time. She was mesmerizing. The Beef Bourguinon looks delicious. I've enjoyed your Paris in July posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie is set partially in Paris. Marilyn was so beautiful, I think, that her other qualities were overlooked. A sad end to her life.

      Delete
  2. While you've been spending the month in Paris, I've been spending the month reading mysteries and I confess I'm about mysteried out. I'll be happy to go back to literary fiction soon.

    I remember "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" as well as a few other of Monroe's movies. She was indeed a beautiful and very talented woman. It seems that the roles that she played fit the misogynistic mind-set of producers of movies in those days. Hers was a tragic life on many levels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am ready to start reading some books other than those set in Paris. I know what you mean, Dorothy.

      Delete
  3. Yum! I've only made Beef Bourguinon once or twice, but as I recall it was delicious. I'll have to check out that recipe and give it a try. The recipe I used is from a Tyler Florence cookbook.

    Sorry to see that you didn't love The Lollipop Shoes. Good, but not great?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked The Lollipop Shoes. I would say that I didn't like the character of Zozie with her gifts and her misuse of those gifts.

      Delete
  4. Oh I do love Gentleman Prefer Blondes. Marilyn Monroe was really an incredibly underrated comedic actress. Her timing and reactions are fantastic. I have really enjoyed all of Doris Greenspan's recipes that I have tried so I need to Sables au Citron. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm making my way through another Dorie Greenspan cookbook right now.

      Delete
  5. I haven't seen Gentleman Prefer Blondes in a long time. That's a fun movie. Looks like you read many great Paris type books. They all sound like good ones. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Light Paris reads have been perfect for me this summer. I think I might just want to read something else soon. Maybe a bit of Paris overload!

      Delete
  6. On a another note do you know that the entire Henry James collection is on Kindle for just 1.99 at Amazon. I went to check on reading your reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Debbie! You are the best Paris traveler by far! I actually did get another book set in Paris in the school's library and think I will keep it for next year, because July is now just about done and I won't have time to start with it now. I love seeing your enthusiasm!

    I've never seen Gentlemen prefer Blondes. Need to make a plan with that.

    Glad your house was more peaceful and quiet this week and that you had more time to enjoy Paris! Hope your upcoming week will be super great as well!

    Lots of Love,

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. Paris in July is almost over. It's time to start setting things aside for next year.

      Delete
  8. The French recipes look delicious - yum! I love Marilyn Monroe films though my favourite is Some Like It Hot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been practicing my French with DuoLingo and I think I might be ready to try some children's picture books in French. I hope you get all your Paris in July books read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been surprised at how easy French is for me to read.

      Delete
  10. I have a hate/love relationship with food. Being the size of a nine year old, means I have to watch everything that goes in the gullet. I have yet to take a liking to Beef Bourguinon, more of a brocoli cheddar and wild rice soup gal. I'm glad you can cook--if I lived in the area, I'd drop by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'd like Beef Bourguinon every day, but it's wonderful once a year.

      Delete
  11. I like the sound of those movies, I will have to look for them.
    Our museums are opening up and I can't wait to visit them. I do like having to have a timed entry ticket, keeps the crowds down.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your food looks so yummy! I’ve never tried either of those things. We don’t have much French food around here, and I’m too lazy to cook. Have a great week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cookies are a snap to make and they came out so pretty.

      Delete
  13. Now I must watch Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, as I don't think I've seen it all the way through.

    Enjoy your week and your books, and here are my WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everthing French sounds amazing. Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This week I'm focusing on reading some short books in French.

      Delete
  15. You've done so well with Paris in July! I'll be lucky if I finish two books but it's still has been a wonderful time. I'm making note of the French films you recommend, in particular A Sunday in the Country. Hope you have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many great old French movies available on Kanopy.

      Delete
  16. You've sure been doing a good job with Paris In July! I've never watched Gentlemen Prefer Blondes but I may try it today. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That Beef Bourguinon looks delicious! And I love the idea of PAris in July. If my reading had been more on track I might have tried to participate. Maybe next time...

    Old movies can be so like that! so fascinating (and fun) but also cringe worthy at times. :) How times have changed!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The food looks so good. I've ever had any of that. Looks like you've kept yourself busy this week. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love how Paris in July is fueling your activities this week! I must try that Beef Bourguinon recipe... it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am going to add those French films to my list! I recently watched a great one, Demain Tout Commence, highly recommend it. Intouchables as well, have you seen it?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oo la, la! You have really immersed yourself in your Paris experience - what a lovely, lovely bookish adventure, Deb:)). I hope the final week is just as rewarding and enjoyable for you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Google Art and Culture is a gem that I think most people don't know about, but it's amazing! Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I’ve been enjoying your recommendations from the Côte d’Azur! Merci for including Crepes by Suzette again!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love that cooking and baking! Looks like you're having a great Paris in July!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It looks like you are having a great month of Paris and all things French! Those picture books look wonderful - I love that French version of Goodnight Moon!

    I think I might try to make Beef Bourguinon this fall or winter! Yours looks delicious! Having been a vegetarian my entire adult life I am discovering all new recipes to me now. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Enjoy your last week in virtual Paris! You read an interesting variety of books. I've read Wind, Sand and Stars but it was years and years ago. Come see my week here.Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  27. YOU see Marilyn in Some Like It Hot with Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon. The entire cast is hysterical and little known fact, she was pregnant while filming but lost the baby half way in. :(

    ReplyDelete
  28. I’m going to have to take a closer look at Google Art and Vulture I think.

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am such a movie buff and it has been so long since I watched a classic movie. I don't think I've ever seen a Marilyn Monroe movie, and if I have, it has been forever, so I definitely need to watch one. Thanks for sharing and helping motivate me to watch one :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I so love how you went all into this month's event! You've inspired me to participate better in events rather than just show up and do one thing - ie, if I do sign up for anything. Love it!

    Reading through your movie notes got me searching for the French actress whose movies I've loved watching but couldn't remember the name for a minute - Audrey Tautou! It's been forever since I've seen one of her movies. Love her!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm loving your Paris posts so much! Enjoy your final week!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your first Marilyn Monroe?! Shouldn't be your last though :) You've got a lot of great books for Paris in July. I'm trying to decide what few I can get done in the next few days :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ina has a good recipe and it's a little quicker than Julia's! I love Gentlemen Prefer Blonds, though you're right about the role of women then and now. But Marilyn Monroe was just delightful -- her comic timing was so spot on. It's just a cute movie. I really should add The Belly of Paris to my list, too.

    ReplyDelete
  34. You find such good books set in Paris ... I like the Zola ones you find ... and the Saint-Exupéry ones. It'll be hard to return "home" after such a good "trip."

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am avoiding doing the Musee D'Orsay online just yet. I am still hoping that in a couple of years we will be able vist!

    I am curious about trying the sables au citron.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am impressed by your reading of books about France. I am a fan of Henry James and have to look for his travel book. I was not aware he had written this one. I loved Barbery's The Elegance of the Hedgehog and Gourmet Rhapsody sounds like a delicious read.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.