Saturday, August 21, 2021

Two Pandemic Picture Books; Time to Apply for the Cybils; and A Wonderful New Granddaughter

 




You never know what's going to happen in life. Three weeks ago, we got a surprising phone call...we discovered we had a new seventeen-year-old granddaughter! Bailey (center) is beautiful, smart, and incredibly compassionate and kind, and we could not be more delighted to have her in our family! 







I read two excellent picture books last week, and both were about the pandemic. Outside, Inside by LeUyen was a gentle story of staying inside and the benefits of doing so during the pandemic. The Longest Storm uses the analogy of the pandemic to a terrible storm, and it's a little darker read, a little more realistic read than Outside, Inside. I enjoyed them both.





Elizabeth and Her German Garden by Elizabeth von Arnim (Fiction)
Ten Stories by Katherine Mansfield (Short stories)
Agnes Grey by Anne Brontรซ (Fiction)
A World on the Wing: The Global Odyssey of Migratory Birds by Scott Wiedensaul (Birds)
The Art of Eating by M.F.K. Fisher (Food Nonfiction)
Thunder and Lightning: Cracking Open the Writer's Craft by Natalie Goldberg (Writing)
The Comfort Book by Matt Haig (Happiness)
Happy Habits: 50 Science-Backed Habits to Adopt (or Stop) to Boost Health and Happiness (Happiness)
Fox & I: An Uncommon Friendship by Catherine Raven (Memoir)
The Council of Animals by Nick McDonnell (Fantasy)
Eager to Love: The Alternate Way of Francis of Assisi by Richard Rohr (Spiritual Nonfiction)









It's time to apply to be a Cybils judge! The Cybils Awards recognizes books written for children and young adults that combine both the highest literary merit and popular appeal. As one of the two original founders put it, between the brussels sprouts of literary merit and the gummy bears of popularity contests, we are the organic chicken nuggets--both yummy and nutritious! If you love children's and YA books, please apply to be a Cybils judge here.




Last week I posted here on Readerbuzz:

If you have not shared your favorite book (just one, please), I'd love to have you comment and share.






Good Thing #1

Our new granddaughter, Bailey!


Good Thing #2

Our granddaughter, Annie, 
started school for the very first time.
We Facetimed her after school, 
and she said a little girl in her class came up to her
and asked Annie if she would be her best friend.
Annie said yes. 

We asked Annie what her new best friend's name was.
She said she didn't know. ๐Ÿ˜‚


Good Thing #3


We took a trip up to East Texas
last weekend.

We passed through lots of tiny towns.
We were especially intrigued with Winona, Texas.
Population 576. Four liquor stores. One church. ๐Ÿ˜‚





I'm happy you joined us here at the Sunday Salon. Sunday Salon is a place to link up and to share what we have been doing during the week. It's a great way to visit other blogs and join in the conversations going on there. 

Some of the things we often talk about at the Sunday Salon:

  • What was your week like?
  • Read any good books? Tell us about them.
  • What other bookish things did you do? 
  • What else is going on in your life?

Other places where you may like to link up over the weekend are below. Click on the picture to visit the site.

        

My linkup for Sunday Salon is below. 

49 comments:

  1. 4 liquor stores and one church. Amazing.

    How fun that you have a new granddaughter; welcome Bailey! I hope she is adjusting well to the family.

    I am excited for CYBILS season, it's so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pandemic-related picture books sound interesting. I'm so glad Annie is adjusting to being in school nicely and already has a best friend (even though she doesn't know her name). I hope Bailey feels a part of your family too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome Bailey. What a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the story of Annie and her new best friend. Congratulations on a new granddaughter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your new granddaughter! Please share more of her story.

    I love your reading list, and should put some of those books on my own list.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the new granddaughter. What a gift. And what a gift to have a best friend whether or not you know their name!

    I had a good reading week and I'm currently reading Once There Were Wolves and finding it incredibly affecting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow to getting a new granddaughter! Terrific!! Welcome to Bailey. Annie seems ready for school :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your new granddaughter! Exciting!

    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Three cheers! Welcome, Bailey! And oh, how exciting that is!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your new granddaughter Bailey!

    I hope Annie loves school and has a great long term friendship with her new friend!

    Population 576 and 4 liquor stores? I don't even know what to say about that, but 1 church is really sad!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How exciting to meet your granddaughter! She has such a beautiful smile. And what a sweet first day of school Miss Annie enjoyed. She looks so excited! Winona sounds like a town out of a movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. CONGRATULATIONS on your new granddaughter and on Annie's first day of school--two biggies!
    I think I would enjoy The Comfort Book. I could sure use a bit of comfort about now.
    Thanks for helping me to apply as a Cybils judge. I hope I make it. I need a good distraction about the time the semester should be in full swing for me and won't be.
    Thanks for being my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on the new granddaughter!
    I don't think I could read a pandemic book just yet, I know a self-publishing friend is basically rewritting half her book because it had a pandemic in it and she didn't think that would sell well atm.
    I didn't know you were behind the Cybils awards, those are very neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard for me to read about the pandemic, but I think some of us, especially children, really need to do so.

      Delete
  14. Congratulations on your new granddaughter and Annie starting school. That comment about her best friend made me laugh because I had that same conversation with my both my grandchildren when they started school. Good luck with the Cybils awards judging. Have a great week Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your good things! Congrats on the newest granddaughter, too.

    Enjoy your week...and those Cybils.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A new grandaugher must be exciting! When do you get to meet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We met her last week for the first time. She's coming to meet the whole extended family over Labor Day.

      Delete
  17. Annie and her best friend, the innocence of children!
    Would love to know the story behind Bailey!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that kids can do face time. We got an app on my son's iPad where he can call me whenever he wants. A mistake? lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. So exciting about having a new granddaughter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aren't little ones precious. Your grandaughter is adorable. Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on your new granddaughter! What a warm welcome she's received!

    Annie is adorable. I guess names aren't important between kindred spirits? ๐Ÿ˜‚

    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on a new granddaughter! How exciting! I've always wondered about the Cybils Award. I think it's something I'd like to do one year, but this year with being back in my home state of Missouri, I want to get involved in our state school librarian book awards, so I'm not sure how much time that will take. But maybe next year I will look into being a part of the Cybils too. Hope you have a good week!
    Lisa Loves Literature

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations are in order for both granddaughters!

    ReplyDelete
  24. A new granddaughter? There's a story there. And I guess you are going to write a lovely post on it. Congratulations Debbie! I can see your beaming smile.

    The One list.... Hmmmm - I'll have to take a look. But my choice will be Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult.

    Hope you will have a wonderful week dear Debbie!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bailey and Annie are both beautiful. We will get to see our granddaughter next month when we travel to Nebraska. I haven’t seen her since 2017!

    Great book list, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nice variety in your reading stack. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  27. How exciting to have a new granddaughter!

    The 4 liquor stores, one church made me smile. I live in Wisconsin and we are known to have a high bars per capita ratio and I think we claim 12 out of 20 drunkest cities in America. People around her take their drinking seriously ๐Ÿ™‚.

    Fox and I looks like an interesting read.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations on your new granddaughter... happy news! Your story about Annie and her new best friend made me laugh out loud. I think it's destined to become a new family classic for you all. Have a good week, Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  29. congrats and the story about annie was so darn cute! and the texas collage...:-) you always have so much good stuff to share...also those pandemic picture books may be of great use for parents
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations on the new granddaughter. Are you going to post more about that? I'm sure there's a happy story behind that surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  31. The #1 thing we want to know about the new granddaughter...is she a reader?

    That is so cute that Annie has a new, nameless, BFF. Such a cute age.

    ReplyDelete
  32. A new granddaughter must have been quite a surprise! But family is a welcome one. :) From the picture, she seems to share your smile.

    I hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congrats on your new granddaughter! Exciting news. Lots of new memories to make with her! Glad your other granddaughter had a fabulous start to kindergarten! my son at 12 still struggles to ask for names and remember them! lol.

    I'd have to say Jane Eyre is my favorite novel. I read it in my formative teen years and I feel it still holds up all these years later and it's the book I always go back to when I'm wondering what to read! Which reminds me I need to reread it this year.

    Winona, Texas! What more do you need? lol

    ReplyDelete
  34. How exciting! Congratulations! Glad to hear that Annie had a great first day and already made a bestie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. How fun to discover you new grand-daughter! I remember a few years ago, when I met my dad for the first time! So maybe I can imagine a bit.
    And so much wonderful reading going on! My reading has been doing well recently as well: https://wordsandpeace.com/2021/08/22/sunday-post-44-8-22-2021/

    ReplyDelete
  36. Congratulations!!! What an awesome thing to discover! :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'm so pleased you have met Bailey and she sounds like an amazing girl to know! We have a few local villages with a similar population size to Winona. They don't have ANY stores, though most have at least one village pub. Most are only a 10 - 15 minute drive from a large town or city though.

    ReplyDelete
  38. You asked about our fav book form last week. I love Squint! Recommend this book for all ages who love children.
    And those who want to understand pre-teens!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Sounds like a good week for you. Always nice to have an addition to the family. Interesting assortment of books too. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  40. What lovely news! Welcome, Bailey! I'm happy to hear Annie's entry to school went so well! I need to read Jane Eyre again. I remember staying up until 4 in the morning when I read it in high school because I just couldn't put it down. I'm interested in The Comfort Book, how is it? That book about foxes looks fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Comfort Book is by the wonderful Matt Haig who has been to bad places in his life and emerged, so his voice is deeply authentic.

      Delete
  41. Thank you for sharing those children's books about the pandemic. My eldest grandson is medically fragile, so the family has been in quarantine since last March except for masked visits to their medical appointments, our home and their paternal grandparents' home. I'm sure these books will be much appreciated reads for them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me so happy that these books could be helpful for your grandson.

      Delete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.