Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Books I Was SO EXCITED to Get, but Still Haven’t Read

Where do you get the books you read? I get books from the library, as gifts, from Paperback Swap, and from BookCrossing, in addition to buying books from a bookstore.

If a book comes in for me from the library, I'm going to read it. Right away. First thing. It will go back in two weeks, and who knows when it will come again?

A book that arrives as a gift? From Paperback Swap? BookCrossing? Books I've bought myself at the bookstore? I tend to set these aside until the stack from the library subsides.

And that's why I have this pile of books I really, really want to read that I haven't gotten to yet. 



The Novel Cure: From Abandonment to Zestlessness: 751 Books to Cure What Ails You by Ella Berthoud and Susan Elderkin...I started this one during a lull in library books and I loved reading it, but then it got set aside...

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller...I pulled this one from a BookCrossing bookbox after reading and loving Madeline Miller's Circe, but I've yet to start it...

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez...It was Emma from Words and Peace that set me onto this one...from another BookCrossing bookbox...unread so far...

The Queen of the Tambourine by Jane Gardam...I discovered the amazing Jane Gardam through her novels for adolescents, Bilgewater and A Long Way from Verona...Her books were brilliant, I thought, so much so that I wanted to write Gardam a fan letter...but didn't...Still, I found her novel for adults and couldn't wait to read it...but still haven't...

A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley...So many people have raved about this story and I've had this book for a long, long time...Absolutely no reason for not reading it...except that I haven't...

Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah...I've checked this one out from the library several times and returned it, unread, and finally this arrived in my Little Free Library...still haven't gotten around to read it...

Peace Like a River by Leif Enger...A swim friend told me about this book one day at the pool..."My favorite book," she said...I've read it but I didn't really read it and think about it, if you know what I mean...So I found a copy, intending to reread it carefully...and I still haven't...

Village School by Miss Read...A book about a school...by "Miss Read"...and I've heard it's a comfort read...It sounds perfect for me...Why haven't I read this one?

Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann...Over and over, I've heard great things about this nonfiction book, but I'm not really a true crime reader, so I hesitate...

The Thurber Carnival by James Thurber...This one just arrived last week, so I feel least guilty about this one...I'm eager to get to this collection of short pieces by one of the great humor writers, but there are lots of others I probably need to read first...


Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.